I wonder what the French would make of this?

Viv

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can fully identify with being held up at airports etc,[:@] it just seems to me that as far as the Brits go, referring to people as Frogs and Krauts is still more acceptable term than some to describe other people and races. 

I just wondered why these terms seem to still be so socially acceptable. 

Christine,

You have pictures for every occasion. [:D]

I think there should be a new section called "Challenge Christine" where we give you a theme and see how long it takes you to find an apt picture [I]

I don't think it is funny, I think it is just stupid and reflects very badly on the company involved.  How unprofessional.  Of course it is incredibly annoying to be caught up in strikes.  However this trite piece of nonsense seems to suggest that the people who are on strike are do so lightly and don't care about the issue, or don't know why.  This is clearly not the case as anybody who has followed the debate knows.  Well I feel sorry for people who are delayed but I hope this company is losing lots of money. 

Well, personally it makes me never want to use them for my travel. 

I think that going on strike to support someone else's cause is actually pretty admirable.  That kind of thing pretty much never happens in the U.S.  where workers are used to being treated as a disposible commodity.

Yes, strikes are inconvenient for many of us, but if 80% of the population is against a law and the government is not willing to listen to them, then perhaps it's the only way to get some action.

PG

[quote user="viva"]

[:@] it just seems to me that as far as the Brits go, referring to people as Frogs and Krauts is still more acceptable term than some to describe other people and races. 

I just wondered why these terms seem to still be so socially acceptable. 

[/quote]

Why not?  I always get the sheep jokes and it really doesnt bother me.  I find them boring yes, but nothing to wave a banner about.

But why is it OK to make 'jokes' about some races and not others? 

Had the strikes been in Pakistan for example, do you think the man would have got away with calling them "lazy p**is" , of course not and quite right too, I just can't get my head round this continued thing about it being ok to insult the French and Germans, and as Possum Girl stated, the ignoramus clearly had no idea of the history behind the strikes.

I call French people French and German people German.  People can call me what they like. If the sheep jokes are said with a smile I roll my eyes and give a little titter if it makes them feel good.  If it is said in a personal tone that is different.   To be honest all this PC rubbish tires me out.  It is all getting that we are too afraid to breathe.  And I wonder where it will all end.  I feel strong enough to take anything that comes my way with regards to racist remarks because I feel happy with what I am.

I think Christine's beer tent was done in the spirit  of the old "entente cordiale" eg  mutually self depracating (sp?)  but I think the comments on that website were not done in the same spirit.

Like you said the spirit it is meant in can make a difference and this blokes comments , to me, seemed BNP funny rather than acceptable funny.

I think I must be the only person left in the world who Approves of Political Correctness.

Not the loony kind which is frequently invented as far as I can make out, but the kind where you treat people with civility, and that includes how you refer to their nationality.

Imagine how embarassing it would have been if Sharon the Martian had arrived here, only to find we called  her planetfolk 'Marts'.[Www]

I know some might find it offensive but I think it may be meant as just a silly joke. It is probably related to the Crazy Frog craze a few months back. Perhaps a turn on words and someone's idea of being clever, instead of Crazy Frog they are using Lazy Frog, the frog cartoon in the link even looks similar.

Hello

The Jupiterians refer to us as 'Marshies' and the Uranians call us 'Martian Mallows'.

I was ejected from The Spread Eagle in Stratford by the landlord after he pointed to a sign which stated "Martians Not Welcome"  I took my custom to The Angel, where I was made very welcome regardless of my Martian origins. The Queens Legs were closed all week-end.

The Martian

[quote user="Tresco"]

I think I must be the only person left in the world who Approves of Political Correctness.

Not the loony kind which is frequently invented as far as I can make out, but the kind where you treat people with civility, and that includes how you refer to their nationality.

[/quote]

Not quite the last person, I do agree with you. Thank goodness for the political correctness that makes words like 'spastic', 'kaffir' and lunatic and so on, things of the past.

One rule in life that I've found to be true is that when people have the power to have the last laugh, they will generally exercise it. That's why as a motorist in London, you don't insult traffic wardens; as a business man in Japan you find that if you use the term 'Japs', doors will close faster than you ever thought possible; and I suspect if you are a boss of an airline that uses the term lazy frogs, you might just find that air traffic control in France will tend to put your planes at the back of the take off queue and your baggage to take its time getting to the carousel!!

Well I think it's grand having a Martian on the forum! I bet there are none Martians on that Total France place! They won't allow Mr Smiths kittens or me badgers, so a Martian has no chance!

Are you here long Martian? I would love to meet anyone from another world!

"I have never met a Martian I never liked, but I have never met a Martian" as me Aunty Alice once said!