Masculin / Feminin????

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now don't be silly. You know it isn't what they catch moths with.

You use a beard to catch soup, fried egg and occasionally baked beans.

I still haven't made it to my kir yet! Now, do I want plain or sparkling wine? Or cider? Or the kir maison that Ernest makes at l'hôtel de la poste - sparkling wine, cassis and a touch of Cointreau?

He's Dutch, and calls it a Kir Orange. It's pretty good, but blows your head off.

I always ask for silly drinks in the pub (to cover the fact that I am having a senior moment and I've forgotten what I have been drinking for the past forty years) like Guinness and Bitter Lemon, or Babycham and Tomato Juice. Winter Warmer and Cream Soda is a good one, or Cointreau with a Cherryade top. One night I got into the pub and was told they'd got a drink in for me - and lo and behold, it was all of the above. And I took a swig before I realised...

Do you remember the old Mackeson Ad? "When old Jeb fell off the church roof the first thing he said was 'force a drop o' Mackeson between me lips' ". Bernard Miles, with Somerset accent, lovely.

Used to prescribe it for anaemia (not the shandy part). Not now, apparently...

Dick .......

Well, a fairly normal, customary and healthy diversion from the original thread, I'd say!

To further digress, I've noticed (other than the unrepeatable / unspellable) words which some of our locals come out with, some other colloquial bits: (pls forgive the spelling, if incorrect):

"Impecc"

"Nickel"

Are these 'Southern', or do you hear them 'up North'? 

Re "Impec(c)", it isn't just kids ....... when we took delivery of a new car at a VW dealer (our Brit-registered car gor written-off, so had to buy something), the very elegant 55-ish lady owner said that when we took delivery, it would be "Impec".  Trying to be smart, I've used it on occasions since.

"Nickel" seems to be used in much the same context, but I sense in a more mundane way, i.e. "The ceiling that I've just newly built is nickel". 

Any French nationals out there who can help? 

Yup, hear them both down south here, although impeccable is more common than nickel.

Perhaps because impeccable can be used for a specific item or a general situation.   e.g. How's your new job going?  Impeccable!

Nickel is used to say that a specific thing is in tip-top condition, like a car, or shoes, or whatever.