Who is ruining things for the rest of us?

Will

When I was more closely involved with this forum, the moderators used to watch certain topics closely but would normally only ever intervene if a valid complaint was received, in other words very seldom.

Now, topics are locked, posts deleted and formal warnings are issued on a daily basis. I can only assume that some people must be spending all of their time moaning about the rest of us.

This was an enjoyable and informative forum for adults, and a credit to its owners and the magazines with which it is associated. Now it seems more like the first form at a girls' primary school. Adult discusions and arguments I can relate to, petty kindergarten squabbles are less palatable.

So who are these unfortunate individuals (I assume there must be more than one) who cannot cope with grown-up life and have to cry to teacher every time somebody calls them names? I think we should be told, before any more long-established and valuable users call it a day.

Hi All,

although I have had my run - ins with some of you on the forum they have been very minor and I would just like to make it clear that if there have been complaints it is certainly not from me. I will always discuss/debate, sometimes I may be out of line but telling tales out of school (NOT a dig at school teachers) is not for me.[:)]

I did not even realise one could complain! Surely if I don't like the tone of a post, I just stop reading it!

"Difference of opinion" surely contributes to a Forum. I was very sorry to see the thread "What? No Flags?" vanish. Was it just because people were called Snobs? Whats wrong with being a Snob?

[quote user="Will "]

So who are these unfortunate individuals (I assume there must be more than one) who cannot cope with grown-up life and have to cry to teacher every time somebody calls them names? I think we should be told, before any more long-established and valuable users call it a day.

[/quote]

Maybe there are none, Will.   Just power-crazed moderators who have issued themselves with a License to Kill.

"They may have the responsibility, but maybe they lack the ability?"

Quite. Anyone has the 'right' to complain about the most inocuous of posts, that doesn't mean it should be automatically deleted.

I'm not saying it's an easy job, far from it, but it frankly takes some doing to be as cr&p at it as... oh, hang on, there's the door...

[quote user="Monika"]

I did not even realise one could complain! Surely if I don't like the tone of a post, I just stop reading it!

"Difference of opinion" surely contributes to a Forum. I was very sorry to see the thread "What? No Flags?" vanish. Was it just because people were called Snobs? Whats wrong with being a Snob?

[/quote]

I didn't even realise that had gone. Do things let locked and then removed or just removed? Was any reason given?

The WORST thing on this forum, by far, IMHO, is not the moderation, it's those people who take it on themselves to lecture, correct and pontificate over someone else's post. The whole forum seems full of them at times.[:(]

By all means correct info that is given but is not factually correct.

Otherwise, MYOB, as they say around here.[;-)]

Alcazar

Now I really am going to raise my head above the parapet, say my few words and then DUCK!!

I think that moderation has got a little out of hand of late.  However, what I think has truly ruined this forum is the banal, pointless statements made by a certain little clique of fairly recent members who seem to feel compelled to join in on just about every thread and turn it into a joke (it's easy to spot them, just look at the number of postings and the length of membership [;-)]).  I'm always up for a laugh but to hijack quite so many threads and turn them into private conversations is really out of order.  As for over-moderation, it then becomes a case of chicken and egg doesn't it?  Are the moderators becoming power-crazed or are they trying to stop all of these silly, pointless interventions on every thread?  I would have thought the best way would be by having a quiet word with the guilty parties, but then, perhaps I am the only one who finds them irritating.  They've certainly stopped me from wanting to contribute so much.  When James gave them The Lounge I thought it might make a difference but no, they still like to pop up here, there and everywhere.

I completely agree with what has just been written. I've been around for years,since the beginning in fact ( different names cos of log in difficulties over the years). There are a few who hijack the thread and turn it into their very own club. I don't reply, simply turn away for yet another few weeks. There are a lot of us out here who really have done it ,flogged the videos, Oxfam-ed the T-shirts and are now into making the DVD's. It often seems pointless responding to someone's query in a serious way cos it will all be turned into a joke anyway, but one that us on the outside don't understand!! Doh[:(] Or maybe we do understand but don't find remotely interesting[:'(]

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Will "]

So who are these unfortunate individuals (I assume there must be

more than one) who cannot cope with grown-up life and have to cry to

teacher every time somebody calls them names? I think we should be

told, before any more long-established and valuable users call it a day.

[/quote]

Maybe there are none, Will.   Just power-crazed moderators who have issued themselves with a License to Kill.

[/quote]

Sod it, I was going to say that but not all the Mods perhaps.............................

Bill, I know a few of them, through previous problems.

I have not wanted to say anything since coming back about the people

who had vilified me when I was off the forum. I would hope they would

see just how truly low that really was. And yes, I would say much of

what I say to peoples faces, not if they were strangers but if I knew

them as well as I think I know them and their values on here. In every

day normal life (makes the Forum sound like it's not !) I learned

long ago to think, look and study people and judge whether any debate

is worth the time and trouble. We all want good friends and few of us

surely have time to require enemies or be friends with folks who we

have no common ground with but there again, like others on here I'm

sure, some of the dearest friends we have in our lives, must seem

rather weird to others but somehow, one can click with the most diverse

of people !

The only things I really do not like are backstabbing, racism, cry

babies, you know, the ones who start something, have a pop at someone,

them reel back when they are given some back and people who guess when

answering what can be critical questions to the person asking. I expect

there's more but hey, the suns out and time for lunch soon !!

There is a lot that gets posted on the forum that should be done by PM, and yes I've been guilty of that.

Opinions are just that, there are no right or wrong ones, but some are better ( more vociferous) at supporting:/ pushing their opinions than others.

Tone, it is easy to come accross in a condescending, patronising, belligerent, sharp,snidey  et cet way in posts. May be some people write how they talk and think they are being straight and up front, and to some readers it might seem that they are but to others it may seem they are being rude. One mans meat etc.

In heated debates, its all too easy to fire off a volley and its there forever in black and white ( until it gets deleted, just thought I'd get that in first [:)]) and read not only by the participants but the voyeurs who think a good argument on here is better than watching TV.

I don't know what the answer is other than to re read your post before you press the button.

BTW  This is a general not person specific observation.

[quote user="Alcazar"]

The WORST thing on this forum, by far, IMHO, is not the moderation, it's those people who take it on themselves to lecture, correct and pontificate over someone else's post. The whole forum seems full of them at times.[:(]

By all means correct info that is given but is not factually correct.

Otherwise, MYOB, as they say around here.[;-)]

Alcazar

[/quote]

Alcazar, you've hit the nail right bang centre on the head, and I applaud you[:D]

Daryl

Quite a list of forum ruining faults being worked up here [:)]

To summarise:

People who complain.

People who squabble.

People who moderate.

People who 'ponificate'.

People who 'chat'.

People who post rashly.

I've got a horrible feeling I could be included in all but one of these.[:-))]

'Would you like a t, Tresco?'  Big Smile [:D]

Oh, hang on. I forgot to add these:

People who don't take the time and trouble to check their spelling.[:$]

People who pick up on spelling errors. [:-))]

Both of these are a JOKE, but I suppose now I could add, people who make everything into a joke. Ooops, someone already said that.

I couldn't agree more with Lizzie 15.

To be honest I have no need to make friends through an internet forum of any sort - I have plenty of real people to talk to! To me, the value of the forum is in the information which can be gleaned frompeople who have experience of the subject on which I am enquiring and who then convey that information in a straightforward way. For that I am most grateful. I do my best to contribute occasionally in such a way and if I have offended anyone it was unintentional. For the (few, I think) snipers and moaners I can only feel sorry and hope that one day they get a life.

Andy

[quote user="Will "]

Now it seems more like the first form at a girls' primary school. Adult discusions and arguments I can relate to, petty kindergarten squabbles are less palatable. [/quote]

[:-))][:-))]

How sexist is that?? Will. I am shocked. Shocked. I am off to report your post right now... immediately... to Mrs Will.[6]

Ekcherly, you're probably right. Because boys learn to communicate with words much later, don't they?! [:P][:D]

More seriously, I'm in agreement with a lot of the points highlighted in this thread, particularly those by St Amour and Alcazar.

Guys, I don't post much on here but I'm a founder member and moderator of a very busy football fan forum and it is my experience there that these things are cyclical.

Every so often, maybe every 6 months or so, we get a bout of complaints about other memebers and recriminations about the staff and we lose a few members and gain some more. Things boil up and the settle down again. What's interesting is that the members that leave generally come back and join in again. Like this one ours is a forum populated mainly by quality posters and it's not always easy to find that on other forums once you've gotten used to it somewhere.

The moderators usually come under scrutiny and we respond as graciously and honestly as we can to the comments and criticism and them we move on.

I think it is crucial, in moderating a forum, to treat every member the same and hence we have suspended or banned long term members as well as new members if they've contravened the rules, or more importantly, the spirit of the site.

Anyway, from the point of view of this mainly 'reading' member, this is a great resource, squabbles happen, move on.