French are rude and boring

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think French customer service is rubbish.  Customer service is not saying hello when you walk into a shop, it is about dealing with problems when they come up.  The French are very good at the superficial politeness, less good at getting things sorted out.

I agree totally.  I've experienced appalling 'service' from banks, removals firms, garages, supermarkets, you name it.  Obviously it doesn't help when the language isn't there, but even when I've taken fluent French speakers with me it's the same.

They just don't do customer service here, it's one of the quirks, I suppose![;-)]

Rosebud

*** I've experienced appalling 'service' from banks, removals firms, garages, supermarkets, you name it. They just don't do customer service here, it's one of the quirks, I suppose!***

Good grief Rosebud - what part of France do you live in? It  sounds horrendous.

It is very different here - perhaps we are just fortunate where we live.

Sue [:)]

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

Jo53, I am amazed that you don't think you would find rudeness like that in the UK - you can come across it any day of the week, especially in London.

As for customer service - would that be the same customer service you receive in the UK when the assistant doesn't stop their conversation with a colleague while they take your money, or hold their hand out for the money without a word to you, while continuing a phone conversation? How many shops do you go into in the UK where they say 'good morning' as you walk in? Where in the UK can you get items wrapped beautifully for free and with a smile? Sorry, I think French customer service is far superior on the whole.

[/quote]

No, you do not come across the examples I gave every day of the week in the UK - even in south London, where I came from. That is why it is so shocking. If I were used to it, it would not leave me feeling that 'I have never been spoken to like that in my life' (well, barring the odd 'domestic' row, obviously...).

As for the till conversation, this ounds like a perfect description of service in many French shops, usually the larger ones. Only in France you usually have to stand and wait until the conversation is over before they take the money .... The 'bonjour madame' stuff I find an interesting paradox. As Tourangelle says, it is essentially superficial politeness. You have to realise that it does not mean anything, any more than being kissed in greeting does. It is just a convention. The beautiful wrapping is another part of the paradox - it coexists with such lousy customer service (not necessarily in the same people, but in the same culture).

Another telling thing is that when you see programmes or interviews with French people who live in the UK, most of them say that one of the things they like most is the politeness.

Of course not all French people are rude - most are not. But I think it is somehow less socially unacceptable to be rude here. People are less likely to restrain themselves. I'm not talking about rude young yobs (they exist everywhere), I mean ordinary people.

[quote user="Spg"]

Good grief Rosebud - what part of France do you live in? It  sounds horrendous.

It is very different here - perhaps we are just fortunate where we live.

Sue [:)]

[/quote]

We're Dept 31 at the moment. Have lived in 09 and 11 too.  So far it's been the same wherever we are.  My husband works with French people who often kindly help us out with enquiries, letter writing, phone calls etc.  They are all of the same opinion as well!  It's not just us Brits who have problems with customer service. Apparently the norm here!

Having said that, on a one-to-one level I've always found the French to be charming.  It's just the ones who work with the public who have been difficult.

Rosebud [:D]

I think it pans out roughly like this:

Big Chain customer service:      Better in UK than France. France has lots more 'jobsworths' (or reluctant workers)

---  example compare Auchan and Tesco, Brico Depot and B&Q

Middling to small customer service : Better in France than UK (sweeping generalisation here, based on rural or semi-rural)

Small shop service: Patchy in both. Frustrating in France if you are in a rush but probably more accommodating / helpful if you need it. (Time Warp thing ?)

Having looked at the above. Perhaps the big chain thing is a timewarp thing as well. Not yet evolved.

John

Sorry, but to say that French people are rude and boring, I really can't agree.  We have met quite a few French people since living here (almost 2 yrs now), and have found them to be nothing but nice, polite etc.  The people we have had problems with are British people, some can be terrible (and please note, I said 'some'), as can any nationality.  I think the worst people we have ever met for being rude and boring have to be first the Germans, and then second the Japanese!  And again, perhaps we have just met awful people of these two nationalities, but to be quite honest, you will find rude and boring people of every nationality everywhere!

Where we are in 87, we've had amazing service from little garges, one did a job on the old Xantia, nd has since welded the lawnmower grass box, and refused payment, GIVEN me a relay I needed, and LENT me a tool to remove my caravan wheel bearing.

Meanwhile, however, the local Carrefour refused to fix a defect on a brand new bike I bought the day before, as we had lost the guarantee. Everyone remembered us, but "desolee" without the ticket! Did it myself with a new part form Chain Reaction in NI when I got home.

Alcazar

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

As for customer service - would that be the same customer service you receive in the UK when the assistant doesn't stop their conversation with a colleague while they take your money, or hold their hand out for the money without a word to you, while continuing a phone conversation? [/quote]

Just had this experience - yet again - in France.  City Sport, to be exact.  She did manage to speak to me, but I was clearly second place to her phone conversation.

"Eh oui, je lui ai dit blah blah blah blah Bonjour Madame oui oui non non oui c'est ça blah blah blah blah blah et bon je peux me garer au Polygone et comme ça chuis pas loin et beh voila quoi 80 euros et oui je ne veux pas faire tout ce chemin pour rien blah blah blah blah venez là Madame le machin est là et oui, bon, voila quoi blah blah blah blah blah tenez Madame blah blah blah blah blah blah au revoir  yak yak yak yak yak.........."

The underlined bits are the bits she managed to say to me.  It's no more polite and charming in French than it is in English.  [:)]

[quote user="windowman"]What twadle. One of the things people would say when we said we were moving here - France would be alright if it wasn't full of French!  I believe french people are more polite, friendly and helpful then most Brits these days.[/quote]

Until they get behind the wheel of a car, for some reason they then become the rudest people in the world

You've never to been to Bangor, in Co Down, I take it?!!  They park in the middle of the street, up footpaths & drive down the wrong side of the road, in their 4x4's, on the school run, every day.  I live 5 miles away & avoid it like the plague!! I swear - it is the worst place, I have ever driven through, in my life!! [:-))]

I wonder if there's a difference between town and country. Certainly

the french people here ( rural) are extremely polite , even formal.

There's a ritual of greeting - smile, say bonjour ca va, shake hands or

kiss then slowly edge into the topic of conversation. Sometimes I

forget and then I feel impolite. An example of this changing was in our

local Gedimat DIY/builders merchants. It used to be a small friendly

place with lots of jokes and crack until they enlarged the premises, to

cope with the increase of business from all the new building sites. Now

the friendly atmosphere has gone and even the old staff look grumpy.

Pat.

That's probably it, Patf.

In my experience, "ça va" is no more than a recognition that the person has noticed you on their way past.  It takes many people aback if you take it seriously and say something like "très bien, et toi?".   It's a sort of verbal handwave, if you like, you do it and move on.

Generally, people seem about the same friendliness/grumpiness as in the south of England.  Neighbours are almost exactly the same too, they just keep themselves to themselves, there's not a lot of mixing, just a street party once a year.  

We were exceptionally lucky with our first neighbours in the other house, but they really were an exception, I can see that now.   The people who are now in that house don't mix, don't do apéros, nothing.   It's just the way it is here, really.

• 4 weeks later...
I was going to say that!! It does depend upon whom you ask.

The poll was of British people. It is like going to toxteth and asking opinions on Maggie Thatcher... Completely pointless ……….. and a report exactly worthy of a rag such as the Express or the Mail.

We have been here 3 years, we live an a little hamlet. Our neighbours to one side regularly bring us fresh flowers and fruit in the summer, we give them eggs. The neighbours at the bottom of the garden are bakers and they bring us bags and bags of bread for our chickens. Yes… just like all the books say…. It really is like that here.

We also have English neighbours and they spend almost all of their time in the English bar complaining about the French…. They then wonder why we get along with the locals and they do not?????

We are extremely close to several French families and we find them warm and kind.

Sure they are rubbish at wars and all that but that’s no reason to dislike them…. any more than it is for disliking the Germans for being so adept at starting them.

There are cultural differences and yes it is easy to perceive some French as moody but a perception is not only transmitted, it is also received…. If you are predisposed to talking offence you will receive it.

Joe

Have to agree wholeheartedly with the above post.

I'd also add two things: from my experience on French CAMPSITES, the French seem to expect the English to be cool and stand-offish, so seem wary at first. And some of the sideways glances I've intercepted when TWO English teenaged lads got out of my car, had to be seen to be believed.

Secondly, once they know you have some spoken French, they are fine. They seem worried that THEY may be called upon to try out non-existent or rusty English, before they know otherwise.

BTW: Like the Username, Joe. From "The Stand"?

Alcazar

I have only experienced out and out rudeness once in France. This was at a hotel I was staying at before boarding the ferry. We sat down for our evening meal and the waitress flatly refused to serve us. She tended to seveal french groups that came in after us and eventually she got a young waiter to serve us. She made it quite obvious as she she totally ignored me when I tried to speak to her (in French).

That aside, I have always found the locals incredibly warm and welcoming. My French is not brilliant but I try my best and they accept this. They are always patient as I try to muddle through.

There will of course always be the odd one in any town or village but this is the exception not the norm. 

So far this month :

Spent 35 minutes in Leroy Merlin carefully explaining that the cashier had made a mistake and that I did not want to waste my 10% loyalty day on Euros 20. I was keeping it till we purchased the tiles and fittings for our new bathroom at a cost of Euros 800 plus. Cashier eventually came over and agreed she had said I would get the bonus back if I repaid the Euros 2. 

Spent 30 minutes at Ikea explaining that I had been promised the Euros 50 discount on a kitchen tap because we had an Ikea family card. It was an offer sent to members via the Internet and both the cashier and the staff at the kitchen section had said we would have the discount.  They tried to fob me off by saying it was only for the introductory day for new card holders but fortunately I had a printout of the Internet page.

In neither case were the staff unpleasant it was just hanging around till somebody with enough authority was available. 

Walked into a garage in a small village to ask where the local ready mix cement supplier was. Owner insisted on phoning them and discovered that despite being listed in the village the company was actually 6 kilometres down the road.

Went to ready mix cement supplier who on being told where I lived asked why I was not using a competitor who was 15 kilometres closer.

Visited Leclerc in Coutras to ask how I could have a dishwasher repaired under guarantee told in pretty off hand manner to telephone the number on the bill. Rang the number on the bill explained we had moved and now lived close to Bordeaux rather than Perigeaux. Given another ‘phone number and told to wait 15 minutes before phoning them. Telephoned them , lady from Perigeaux had already explained the situation  and had faxed a copy of the original invoice to them.  Service engineer arrived exactly on time and dealt with the problem.

Not better or worse than UK but different.

I am not sure how you can be simultaneously boring and rude. The late and very unpleasant Robert Maxwell on being told ‘Have a Nice Day’ in New York “I’ll have what ever expletive deleted kind of day I like thank you” . John Fothergill whenever children were brought into the “Spread Eagle at Thame”  “Please remove that unfortunate evidence of your past fornication from my house”

That's an interesting story.

I am glad you don't seem offended by my post. I have obviously used extreme humour to make what is a fair point. I have already been told off alittle but as the post is still here we must assmume the PMs are OK with it. I did also run it by themBEFORE posting to get an objective view on whether or not it was offensive. They made no comment so I presumed it would be OK.

J

Interesting points raised above: but I wonder, why is it always the French who are mocked about their wartime occupation, and not the Poles, the Dutch, the Danish, the Belgians, the Greeks, the Channel Islanders... you get the idea. The French are not the only nation to have capitulated so quickly, or to have collaborated, yet we seem to save most of our venom for them. Historic Anglo-French hatred perhaps?

I am glad you don't seem offended by my post. I have obviously used extreme humour to make what is a fair point. I have already been told off alittle but as the post is still here we must assmume the PMs are OK with it. I did also run it by themBEFORE posting to get an objective view on whether or not it was offensive. They made no comment so I presumed it would be OK

Walking Dude - I'm sorry but I have no idea who you think the PM is ? The post was certainly not approved by either admin or a mod/the mods.

After receiving a complaint the post has been deleted, at least temporarily.

Alcazar I'm afraid your post went with it. Please contact me by PM if you want to repost something similar.

BTW Walking Dude - if you are using humour and you really cannot use the smileys here, you may at least give a hint as to the spirit you are posting in, by the use of :

:) smile

:(  sad

;) wink

It may save a lot of needless upset.

Or perhaps a tongue in cheek smiley [:)]. It is very sad that people are so sensitive these days. To start picking at words of a new poster, (by the way, that I have found to be very interesting and refreshing) very sad indeed. I am now starting to see the point of that old argument that I have up to now found very boring. You would think that this forum was not read by adults at times. I really do not understand how anyone could run to the moderator (teacher) with something like this.[8-)]

I took your point Walkingdude.

This is UTTERLY amazing.

Just who on EARTH are these PC people who run to the moderators every time something appears that they don't agree with or that they don't like.

Would they like to stand up and be counted?

I bet this gets deleted too.[:@]

This site is becoming worthless, at least as far as posting is concerned. It's ruled by a very small clique, who won't let ANYONE post owt THEY don't like. And the mods are so spineless, they delete almost at will.

Why don't the PC brigade go away somewhere and post their PC comments there, and let the rest of us get on with a good argument?

I belong to a couple of other forums, and posts are only deleted there if they are illegal, slanderous etc. Perhaps we ought to do the same? After all, if you can't stand the heat..........

Bah! Humbug!

Alcazar[:@]