Getting old gracefully or not?

Gastines

May I appeal to all the ladies out there please? I would be very interested to know how many of us, ( ladies of a certain age) would be happy to undergo a makeover a la Trinny and Susannah style or 10 years younger, as in the title of those programmes. If anyone would like to help me with my survey kindly e-mail me direct with a simple yes or no if you would choose to be made over and if you wish to give your age that would be fine but if you would rather not, that is fine also. Thanks in anticipation et bonne week-end. Regards, Mrs Gastines.( In case you were wondering, Yes Yes and Yes I would love to be made over and I am 57. The trouble is I don't think there is enough Polyfilla in France at the moment to fill in the cracks!)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let people know why I was asking about make-overs etc., Recently  having had several friends to stay and chatting about anything and everything as you do, we covered the subject of our changing looks, clothes, cosmetics etc. and the consensus of opinion was that we would all love to undergo a Trinny and Susannah-type makeover. Further to this I wondered if we were just an odd bunch or if most people of our age group felt the same, hence my PRIVATE request for answers, nothing sinister or with an ulterior motive, just a subject of possible mutual interest as was my former question re: childhood memories which proved to be quite a stimulating subject as lots of people felt they wanted to contribute to the chat. Of course if anyone finds this a touchy subject, then please ignore the subject completely and NO, for those who wondered my husband would not be obliged to pay for any makeover as we are both quite happy with the status quo! Nuff said, bonne week-end. Mrs Gastines.

I'm starting to look very much like my avatar. I am teetering on the brink of a half-century (there, I've said it, and I don't feel better!). I would like to have my brain transplanted into the body of a supermodel. You can throw the old one away. When do we start?

[quote user="Croixblanches"]I am teetering on the brink of a half-century (there, I've said it, and I don't feel better!). I would like to have my brain transplanted into the body of a supermodel. You can throw the old one away. When do we start?[/quote]

Yep, I'm another teeterer and I'd like my brain transplanted into the body of Gisele Bundchen. A mere Trinny and Susannah makeover just doesn't hit the spot sufficiently radically for me. I'd have to ditch Leonardo diCaprio though. He's got such a silly face. [:D][:P]

Well I'll answer you totally openly Mrs Gastines; I'm 47, I don't think I look at all bad for that facially, but the body's a "little" bit larger than a) I would like it to be, and b) it was when I was 27.  I'd absolutely LOVE Trinny and Suze to have a go at me - I think that in 85% of cases they do a good job.  Trouble is, they rarely have anyone of my size to cope with.  And yes, I would certainly love the £2K that goes with it!!!!!!!

BTW, What Not To Wear is coming back with 2 new presenters, in case you didn't know. Mica Paris and some other woman. I am not going back on my previous request for a whole new body, but if either Trinny or Susannah grabs me by the boobs, I won't be responsible for my actions. I have never understood what that was all about.

Indeed, Dick, I have been working assiduously on building a collection of hats that don't suit me (sadly, not all of them red!) for many years. This has proved a relatively simple task, as hats generally only suit me for about 8 minutes (in the mirror, in the shop). I love that poem, and not least because it reminds me of my late M-i-L, who was as mad as a hatter but totally happy with who she was! Just after I got married, for example, I went (alone) to work in Australia for 6 months, and she would write to me on bits of old scrap paper from her filing cabinet (the stairs). One such letter contained a photograph of the Dalai Lama cut from the Daily Telegraph, and a note written on the back of a till receipt from Safeway, which said, quite simply "I always wondered what had happened to him".  Her dress sense was, unsurprisingly, as eccentric as her letters.

I wouldn't like to have a face lift and look like a freak al la the ex Mrs Presley, Farrah Fawcett etc.  With all the moeny they have don't you think they could get it right.  Would rather like a lift like Sharon Osborne though.  What I would really like is for someone to tell me what to wear for my age to look chic.  Then again, I live in the countryside and wear mainly short and t-shirts or trousers and rarely go anywhere to dress up so why bother.  Anyway, you can't please everyone - bought a new handbag and daughter said I was too old fashioned, went out wearing crop trousers and she said 'aren't they a bit young for you'.  By the way, I am 53, 4'11" and a bit on the plump side.

>>> you can't please everyone - bought a new handbag and daughter said I was too old fashioned, went out wearing crop trousers and she said 'aren't they a bit young for you'.  By the way, I am 53, 4'11" and a bit on the plump side.<<<

Oh La Vette!! Daughters are horrible aren't they!... Whenever I go shopping with mine, she'll say : 'You are going out wearing THAT?' Shock horror in her eyes and her voice...

So I look at myself in the mirror and think : 'What's wrong with dark blue M&S fitted jeans, a white top and a blue long loose cardigan, a small Louis Vuitton handbag (not the real one unfortunately!) , a nice little necklace and ear-rings to match and some nice (medium heels, sort of not TOO high...) black court shoes, bit of discreet make-up and lippy....'

So I tell her : 'OK! take me to a shop. ANY shop YOU like! and dress me up with what YOU would like me to wear!' and she says : 'OH MOTHER!!!! Act your age! you are hopeless!'

So... what does one need to do to please these awful critters that we begot once upon a time....

PS : I'm 48, 5'5", and rondouillette juste à point, aux bons endroits...

and SHE is 21, 5' 7" and like a bean pole!!

[quote user="Russethouse"] I'm 55 and I would like my jaw line tightened and my boobs putting back to there pre childbirth level.......[/quote]

LOL  I would love boobs as they were just after I was pregnant!  and if anyone else was paying I would love eye correction surgery.

[quote user="opas"]

[quote user="Russethouse"] I'm 55 and I would like my jaw line tightened and my boobs putting back to there pre childbirth level.......[/quote]

LOL  I would love boobs as they were just after I was pregnant!  and if anyone else was paying I would love eye correction surgery.

[/quote]

You can have mine, I would love no boobs, you just end up with your breakfast down them.

Georgina[:D]

PS Apparently I was reading that this is a top operation spending millions in the UK for young girls not old ones or gravity challenged as the case may be.

I have never understood why women want boob enhancement - as has been said, they just act as a shelf to spill your food down, they are uncomfortable when riding my horse, and they make me look bigger than I am, because people's eyes are drawn to them and there they stop, not noticing that I am a good 2 sizes smaller on my bottom half!!! Plus the fact that at 45, gravity is rapidly taking over.............do you remember the pencil test when you were younger to see if you had pert boobs?? Well I could hide the whole pencil case there now, and probably the cartable as well!!!
I have no idea how to dress well any more - live in jeans and T-shirts in the Summer and fleeces in the Winter, but what else do you wear in the heart of the countryside to walk the dogs, muck out the horses, and ferry the kids about? I decided that my blonde (bottle!) hair was too ageing, so went for a 'chestnut with deep red tones'...........and, you've guessed it, this being France, came out looking like an explosion in a red-paint factory..........the builders reckoned that in the sunlight my head looked as if it was on fire!! I am gradually deepening the colour, but people's eyes are still widening in astonishment when they see me, and I am not allowed to get out of the car when dropping the boys off anywhere!!!

Chris