Trick or Treat

It is getting more and more popular each year. 

My daughter and a handful of the kids in our hamlet do the rounds at around 4pm.  They post a photocopied flyer to some of the houses a few days before warning everyone to make sure they have plenty of sweets to givie out otherwise they will put a spell on them. Everyone joins in the fun and the kids have enough sweets to last a year!

We also had trick or treat around here but last Wed!! ( half term for the little ones I imagine).  Having been here 5 years we also always 'do' a pumpkin and put it at the gate.  Invariably we have some of the older ones on the 31st - be prepared to scare them,we always do!!!!!!!!!!!

As somebody said, the US first, then the UK, then France. I hoped I'd be losing this daft American import by moving to France, but it seems not.

Sorry to be a grump but I really hate the growth of Halloween. I heard the most ridiculous thing in Tesco yesterday; small child to father; "Shall we get mummy's Halloween present now?"

Ye gods, what is the world coming to!

[quote user="KathyC"]

As somebody said, the US first, then the UK, then France. I hoped I'd be losing this daft American import by moving to France, but it seems not.

Sorry to be a grump but I really hate the growth of Halloween. I heard the most ridiculous thing in Tesco yesterday; small child to father; "Shall we get mummy's Halloween present now?"

Ye gods, what is the world coming to!

[/quote]

Kathy, you are accurate with your observation.

I think TV has made the difference over the years;

For example, when I was a kid, Halloween was great fun for youngsters; however, at home we had two TV channels. BBC1 and ITV,

Both closed down in the afternoon and finished about 10.30 at night!

Leo

Trick or Treat, I think it's wonderful.

We had some young children round last night.

Door bells rings, I open the door.

Infront of me are three young girls, dressed as witches, with their witches hats upturned and full of sweets. "Trick or treat" they cried.

Taken aback for a minute.... I said, "I would have the treat", so I dipped into the hat and took a Mars Bar, thanked them and closed the door.

Hope some more come round tonight, I fancy some wine gums or a lollipop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid we didn't have pumpkins so we hollowed out big turnips (folks in the south would call them swedes) instead and stuck candles inside.

Expecting the kids around tonight - hope Jude's box of sweets lasts the evening.  I think we had 4 groups of between four and six children each last year.

I don't really like this begging lark but there you go, things change.  I recall when we left the UK it was getting rather nasty with older kids throwing flour and eggs if they weren't 'treated'.

I think you're the only one who's got it right!

Had two more groupls - very well behaved, as ever - but now it's dark there may not be any more as the driveway is unlit and it's a fair way from the road to the house.

So I soon could have half a tubful of mixed liquorice allsorts, jelly babies and other goodies to be sick on ...

[quote user="PeterG"]

Cassis ----------Don't be worried......... Just help yourself to the treats that the kids have on offer, as I do.

Or am I getting this wrong.

[/quote]

It's a bit like being sent on a Child Protection Course from work. I usually volunteer as one can always learn new ways of protecting oneself from children! [:D][:D]

[quote user="Suze"]Apparently Halloween is on the decline in France:

" French shun Halloween 'gimmicks'" read the article [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6103436.stm]here[/url] 

[6]

[/quote]

Well, what a relief! My opinion of the French has risen even further.

Being on the committee for the Amicale Laïque, we were trying to organise and event in the village for Halloween.  The last time we did it was 3 years ago.  But, unfortunately we didn't manage it as there were not enough non-working volunteers to organise it. Another local village did do an event on Saturday but that was it AFAIK.

We had an impromptu family halloween meal. My daughter bought a pumpkin that she and her brother carved, we dragged out loads of decos that we had from last year, lit loads of candles, the kids dressed up with face paints etc. My 8 year old daughter even made some pumpkin soup for starters! They really enjoyed it, especially as it was very last minute.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Oh for Gods sake - the kids love it!

[/quote]

Kids would also love to live on sweets, cake and junkfood most of the time. Many also love spending all their time playing computer games and watching TV. We have adults in the world to guide and help children to make good choices rather than just to do what they think is fun. Otherwise the lunatics really will take over the asylum! (apologies for non PC metaphor.)

Jeepers, one day/night of fun, which the kids, especially the little ones, truly love and it's "think about the sweet issue" !!

How old are many of us on here ? (and I reckon I might be in the

middle group) the way some people talk, none of should ever have

reached middle age, as the sweeties alone should have done for

us................

Well we are off for nice break sometime in the New Year, to act like

teenagers, get at the shant, the food and generally have a great time.

What do the fuddies reckon we should do ? Act our age, that's always a

good one....watch the drink, watch the coffee, don't touch the bacon,

ooh and the tea, be careful.........It's an occasional let the hair

down scenario, without doing something of that nature, life would be so

mundane, as to be pointless. People, including kids, need to break out

from their everyday humdrum of life and enjoy themselves. Everytime

Tina or I hear each other talking like our parents, we smirk or just

shake our heads. We are sensible, we know what our kids should and

shouldn't do but to stop them having fun, such as at Halloween is just

ridiculous in the extreme. Goodness, Tina has even kept some of their

old get ups as souvenirs of their childhood Halloween nights.

Lunatics sure are taking over,  Halloween is not right for kids........seems

like they have already got one hand on the asylum to

me...............Adults know best.....It's 2006 and the World is in a

mess, wars still continue left right and centre...Adults are finally

taking Global warming seriously (at last) All the stuff kids maybe shouldn't

have...all made and designed by adults, and one could go on and on. So

I am not too sure about that statement.

Come on, it's one of the those days that some kids can look forward to,

getting some treats and having a good time, some bigger kids will go

silly, Halloween being just an excuse for them to act in the manner as

they probably always do anyway. Once we start banning or discouraging

simple things like Halloween, well then the loonies really will be well