other hobbies

stumpy

I ride, Mr Cooperlola has a model railway in one of our barns; we both walk, cycle, and get to as many motor race meetings as possible.  We're also both keen photographers.  One thing I can say for certain, we are never bored and we now have so much more time on our hands since we no longer work.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I ride, Mr Cooperlola has a model railway in one of our barns; [/quote]

Mr Saddie has a model railway gradually taking over the sous sol. He also spends time on model railway forums. He asks if you are using English or French trains. His layout is "roughly" based on llandudlo and blyneau ffestiniog (apologies for the spelling)

[quote user="saddie"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]I ride, Mr Cooperlola has a model railway in one of our barns; [/quote]

Mr Saddie has a model railway gradually taking over the sous sol. He also spends time on model railway forums. He asks if you are using English or French trains. His layout is "roughly" based on llandudlo and blyneau ffestiniog (apologies for the spelling)

[/quote]American!  My goodness, the falling dollar rate is hitting the bank balance!  Little (and not so little) parcels turn up all the time.  He is currently building  a viaduct so it's been very peaceful for the last few days.  Which department are you in?  Does Mr Saddie find there are few enthusiasts' groups in France?

[quote user="saddie"]

[/quote]

I'm interested in model railways too. Would either Mr Cooperlola or Mr Saddie, or both, like to tell me,  pref by PM 'cos I'm having difficulty with my e-mail, (it seems to have converted my password into Polish, or some such language, so I can't get into it), something about their layouts? Gauge/scale, type of trains, French or English etc.

I'd refer both to http://www.migo.org.uk/mambo/

and http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/

as two of my favourite sites.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="saddie"]

[/quote]American!  My goodness, the falling dollar rate is hitting the bank balance!  Little (and not so little) parcels turn up all the time.  He is currently building  a viaduct so it's been very peaceful for the last few days.  Which department are you in?  Does Mr Saddie find there are few enthusiasts' groups in France?[/quote]

Here's a very good general railways interest French site : The link is to a directory of CLUBS in France. Unfortunately ,like many French internet directories, it is just a list and you have to sift through for anything local to you.

http://www.espacetrain.com/index.php?page=lien/index&ParentID=6

[quote user="Mister Fluffy"]Stumpy - could you please change the thread title to 'Hobbies' as it's a bit confusing. I thought it was about the enlightenment philosopher, of course...
[/quote]

I have changed the first and last post in the thread so I think it should follow with correct spelling now.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I ride, Mr Cooperlola has a model railway in one of our barns; we both walk, cycle, and get to as many motor race meetings as possible.  We're also both keen photographers.  One thing I can say for certain, we are never bored and we now have so much more time on our hands since we no longer work.[/quote]

I am so glad you put an apostrophe in after the first couple of words [Www]

Yes, those commas can be pretty crucial...

I do a lot of photography, but I've also started to get (a bit) back into painting medieval miniatures (54mm) - except that my eyes and my patience aren't what they once were. Or what I believe them to once have been.  I did do a bit of static railway modelling, never into layouts and things that move, and I collect diecast model racing cars (1/43 scale). So if you want to make a 7mm railway layout going round the outside of the circuit de la Sarthe, I'm your man...

I'm sorry for the spelling mistake's and lack of comma's , but get used to it !!

Im up for most things the model train thing dosent doit for me , but i love photos collecting and taking  and im loving Jammie Oliver's reciepe's i make a mean chillie king prawn on ciabata bread [;-)]

[quote user="stumpy"]

Bugbear you know who's moved to France i think last year  Mr Brian Burrows ![:)]

[/quote]

Yes indeed, he lives about 85 miles from where we live and we meet up fairly regularly.

Small world..................isn't it.

No, I retired from racing in 1998 and sold all the cars. Keith Jacksons son bought my 'rail' and I believe he's doing quite well with it. As regards the VW scene in France, it's fairly active, but a bit spread out. There is no drag racing in France. If you search the web you'll find the locations of clubs and meets plus there are a couple of good magazines available.

Where are you living ?

Regards

Gary

We live in Cornwall at the moment but will be looking to go to the mid south west area hopefully still by the coast .We went to Hossegore two years ago on tour in our campervan and ended up at the Cox 21st birthday bash at a carpark not quite sure were though .We got furthest travelled [:D]

[quote user="Teamedup"][blink] ?????????? comma??????????????[/quote]It's not just me then, I was looking at my post again and again and couldn't spot one, but can see a lot in stumpy's that shouldn't be there!  Anyway, I get the joke now, stumps!  What you imply has been known too though...[:D]

Anyhow, I promise not to judge anybody by their standards of spelling, grammar and punctuation - I'm far from perfect in this regard myself.[:$]

Me, I shoot things

Before anyone jumps up and down, let me explain.  Absolutly nothing that is alive.  Only big straw targets.  Yes, I am an archer so 2 or 3 times a week I go down to the club and shoot a round or two.  Very nice people in the club who have let me shoot for free for a year dispite my repeated offer to pay club fees.  As it is a New Year, I have insisted so I'll stump up the outrageous sum of 50 euros and get my FITA (Federation International Tir a l'Arc) license so I can do competitions.  Amazingly I have to have a medical too (Why???)

Sailing - which I guess makes my main activity in France bureaucracy. Always disappoints me that so many French children learn to sail (every summer you see loads of them drifting about on lakes in Optimist dinghies doing stages and they love it), but relatively few them continue (probably still doing the paperwork !!). In the UK nothing like so many learn but of those who do, a much higher proportion seem to continue with the sport.

Ian