Did you know

Did you know that if you are listed in the Pages Jaune or the Pages Blanc (ie you have a phone installed by France Telecom) there is an aerial photograph of your house included in the listing on the net???  On checking, they have made an error and circled a house that is not ours, but the house on another street with the same number, I am not going to put them right.  But, if you are not aware of this, could be, you are now.[:'(]

Georgina

Linking from Georgina's mention of aerial photos, Géoportail (France's Google Earth equivalent) has updated a lot of its data to digital pictures and I can now see my house and small pool in relatively good detail.

The site has also added basic layers showing clickable info about the towns, altitude markers and aerial photos available for sale.

[quote user="Georgina"]

On checking, they have made an error and circled a house that is not ours, but the house on another street with the same number.[/quote]

I don't think the circle is anything to do with a specific address. On mine it's in the middle of the road, and is placed exactly in the centre of the hamlet.

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

Yes, I knew, there was a thread about it earlier.

And the problem with it would be?

[/quote]

There was a thread earlier, sorry, I never saw it.  But it is useful to know, so have you anything useful to add?[:@]

[quote user="Clair"]Linking from Georgina's mention of aerial photos, Géoportail (France's Google Earth equivalent) has updated a lot of its data to digital pictures and I can now see my house and small pool in relatively good detail.
The site has also added basic layers showing clickable info about the towns, altitude markers and aerial photos available for sale.[/quote]

Ooh I can see my pool, my 4x4s and my tennis court!!!  not forgetting the lake, - Not. [:D][:D][:)]

[quote user="Georgina"]

[/quote]There was a thread earlier, sorry, I never saw it.  But it is useful to know, so have you anything useful to add?[:@][/quote]

I think Ford Anglia was wondering why you put a [:'(] emoticon at the end of your first post...it seemed to indicate you thought there was something wrong.

[url=http://city.zorgloob.com/?ville=8563&lib=PERIGUEUX&cp_s=24000&ville_s=Perigueux]Zoorgloob[/url] is quite good too but depends on location as to how close it goes.  You can type in a postcode or location name  (anywhere in France)  or you can 'grab' and shift the page to anywhere in the world and zoom in. There's no need to download anything, it's all done direct from the website.

[quote user="Georgina"]

[/quote]

There was a thread earlier, sorry, I never saw it.  But it is useful to know, so have you anything useful to add?[:@]

[/quote]

Sorry Georgina, your emoticon told me that you had a problem with it, and I wondered what it could be?

Just shows the inherent problems of trying to have a conversation with someone in writing[:D]

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Georgina"]

On checking, they have made an error and circled a house that is not ours, but the house on another street with the same number.[/quote]

I don't think the circle is anything to do with a specific address. On mine it's in the middle of the road, and is placed exactly in the centre of the hamlet.

[/quote]

Same here.

John

[quote user="Suze"][url=http://city.zorgloob.com/?ville=8563&lib=PERIGUEUX&cp_s=24000&ville_s=Perigueux]Zoorgloob[/url] is quite good too but depends on location as to how close it goes.  You can type in a postcode or location name  (anywhere in France)  or you can 'grab' and shift the page to anywhere in the world and zoom in. There's no need to download anything, it's all done direct from the website.
[/quote]

Not as good as the FT one though. The above site places our house in the middle of a field about 2kms down the lane and the close you get the worse the quality.

Sorry Ford, I should not be so touchy, just going on past experience.

Thing is, I am not sure I want the world and his dog to be able to see my house, although I have nothing to hide, it just seems a bit nosey, especially if you had not agreed to it in the first place.

Georgina[:)]

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]Looking at the photo of our house, it appears to have been taken during the drought. Was that 2002? Or 2003?[/quote]

The photo of our hamlet seems to be no newer than c. 2000.

John

and

[quote user="Georgina"]

Sorry Ford, I should not be so touchy, just going on past experience.

Thing is, I am not sure I want the world and his dog to be able to see my house, although I have nothing to hide, it just seems a bit nosey, especially if you had not agreed to it in the first place.

Georgina[:)]

[/quote]

Just to let you know that EDF regularly make ariel inspections and so do the cadastral people to continually update the maps especially now they are digital. France is a very nosey country and nothing but nothing can be kept secret especially banking and financial stuff from anyone who wants to know.

[quote user="Val_2"]

France is a very nosey country and nothing but nothing can be kept secret especially banking and financial stuff from anyone who wants to know.

[/quote]

Well it doesn't always work...

We went to amend the details on our H1 form a couple of years ago and found that the original owners of the house had never declared a 11x5m swimming pool that was built about 30 years ago! Everyone in the village knew about the pool (including the Maire) as most of them seemed to have learnt to swim in it...

But yes, they are quite nosey!