What is the Worst Christmas Present you've ever received?

Bugsy

You know the sort of thing.....................................

Response:    "Oh, thats lovely, it's something I've always wanted".

Thought:      "Oh my gaaard what the 'ell is that."

To kick off I received from my mother a pullover that she had knitted with what was supposed to be the head of a Boxer dog emblazoned across the front. It looked more like a hamster and was cross-eyed and had one ear missing.............[:)]

I've still got it.................

[quote user="Cathy"]

My brother - now dead but not because of the presents he gave me - gave me a red felt tip pen for Christmas.  'Very useful' he said.  'Yes' I replied 'very thoughtful of you'.  So he gave me one the following Christmas....

[/quote]

Wow!

[quote user="woolybanana"]RH, it is very disturbing that you have to disclaim a connection with the story before you tell it. Denial?[/quote]

Believe me - generations of females in my family have made it crystal clear that household goods DO NOT COUNT as gifts ![:D]

Not Christmas related, but a little true story that always makes me laugh, even 20 years later........the accounts assistant where my husband worked had bought a Mini Metro. She and her husband had booked a self catering holiday in the West Country and the accounts assistant decided t would be a good idea if she took their new micro wave. Somehow her husband persuaded her that if he took the microwave in the car the suspension wouldn't take her weight as well (she was an average build ) The husband drove to the West Country with the micro wave for company, she took the train !!!!![:)][:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

....Somehow her husband persuaded her that if he took the microwave in the car the suspension wouldn't take her weight as well (she was an average build ) The husband drove to the West Country with the micro wave for company, she took the train !!!!![:)][:)]

[/quote](My bold).

And I thought I was gullible.[:-))]

Worst Christmas present? The doll that was 2 years too late, at least, (I was 11).

I still have her though.[:D]

Mine was from my Mum too - they get blamed for everything. A jumper in a colour she knows I never wear, mauve. I wondered if someone had given it to her and she didn't like it so she thought  "I'll give it to Tricia, she might like it". I must admit though that I've passed on gifts like that too. One day they will come back to me.

My mother (yes, again) posted me a birthday parcel I had to collect from the PO and so ended up opening AT WORK.  It was a nightdress case made out of a square of lurid yellow sheepskin with.... wait for it..... a life-size yellow poodle's head stuck leering on the top.  YUUUUK.  Fortunately everyone else in the office was foreign so I was able to escape the years of sly jokes that would have followed in the UK.

My brother and I started to send each other naff presents from catalogues, the chief joy being that you didn't actually have to buy the item, you just cut out the description and posted that (Scottish ancestry rules).  I think the worst was one of those clocks with different birds pictured at each hour, and on that hour the birdsong of that bird would cheep or sing or whatever.......but since coming to France I think the farting gnomes would have got a place.

Chrissie (81)

My late mother-in-law was renowned for recycling gifts.   She would carefully open the package at one end, slide the item out & give it a cursory glance, shove it back in the wrappings and stash it in her bag.  Later she would re-seal the parcel after removing the labels or tags and place the parcel in the cupboard under the stairs, so when the occasion arose that she needed a gift for someone, she went to the cupboard and selected something from there.  Heaven help anybody who got the chocolates as they could have been there years on the shelf!!   [+o(]

When she died my husband and I were clearing the house of all the junk she had hoarded and there in the cupboard were at least five years worth of christmas and birthday presents from us, still in their original wrappings and untouched.   She had even been known to re-use Christmas and birthday cards by erasing the sender's message with Tippex and writing her own on instead, then making an envelope out of a sheet of typing paper.  Needless to add nobody got cards that required posting!