France is wealthier than UK!!!!!!!

jon

yes Glue stick you pay your money and get your choice.Sadly some of you feel that you have made the wrong choice and others have their feet in both camps....making a song and dance about it.Facts are facts and all of us are different.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="raindog"][quote user="cooperlola"]

Blimey, it's getting like Animal Farm on this thread : "Four legs good, two legs better..."

[/quote]
I always thought it was "Four legs good, two legs bad." [8-)]
Four wheels worse...

Cooper, i've got a bit more time at the moment so i'll try and scan some Le Mans pics soon.
[/quote]From memory, it changed as things went along, Raindog...

Look forward to seeing the pics (four wheels worse indeed....!)

[quote user="jon"]

Russethouse I can tell that you welcome me with open arms!Seem to be enjoying yourself finding ways to disagree with me.Are you based in UK or France?You are direct...but are you prepared to offer your story?

Well its ok ...if the forum members reside in UK then they do not have to worry about the problems in France and can stay in merry England.

It is simple....if a person prefers UK then they should remain there.

[/quote]

I think you are going off at a tangent, if making you feel welcome equates with agreeing with everything you say, then you are correct - I don't agree with your view and frankly the UK you to seem to have come from is very different to my own experience.

I live in a cosmopolitan area, in a suburb of a fair size town within 30 minutes of London by train. I am 5 minutes from lovely open countryside. We have good schools, good GPs and can have an NHS dentist. When I have needed to use the hospital it has been clean and efficient - my waiting time for an operation was 4 days.

Having adult children my main concern is their future and although we have virtually full employment in this area and both my children have reasonable jobs their prospects of being able to afford a home of their own are limited. However, we are not supporting our children in anyway, unlike two French families I know personally where the parents fully expect to be contributing to their children until they are in their late 20s.

Of course the Uk has problems, they are different problems to the problems in France - thats life. Criticizing the UK doesn't make France any better or worse.

[quote user="jon"]yes Glue stick you pay your money and get your choice.Sadly some of you feel that you have made the wrong choice and others have their feet in both camps....making a song and dance about it.Facts are facts and all of us are different.[/quote]

LOL, is that meant to mean something?

You started the song and dance, Jon, presumably to annoy wayward Brits who dare to think differently from yourself. Funny way to show one's supreme contentment, but as you say, we're all different.

Isn't that the whole point in both countries, Gluestick ?

In England I live in a village with a population of around 450. It's a pretty place with thatched cottages along a main street with a stream. The neighbours are the kind of good decent middle Englanders that some people scoff at. Fortunately there are good job opportunities are within easy driving distance.

Inevitably, most of the people who belong to this forum tend to live in the 'better' parts of France because they've chosen their area carefully. For some this seems to lead to the erroneous conclusion that there are no unpleasant places in France.

I love both places - that's why I divide my life between the two. I also think it's important to remember that no two people's circumstances or attitudes are the same. I count myself as very fortunate that I've been able to make the choices that I have.

Hoddy

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I'm in Berkshire, within a spit of the Oxfordshire border (in fact it used to go through this house).

Isn't the story the same in France though - your experience depends very much on where you live.

[/quote]

Yes of course: a salient point I've made before!

And, perhaps, one that needs making again.

For example, if someone sells up in London and moves to much of Wales, then they would either buy a similar house and put cash into the bank and instantly improve their standard of living potential: or buy a much nicer house for the same capital. However, someone born in Wales who has suffered for much of their life with poorly paid jobs and social deprivation (after the mines closed perhaps or British Steel at Port Talbot etc), would enjoy a wholly different perspective.

I could easily tabulate all the negative aspects of the area in the UK (Essex) where I currently reside: much as I'd love to move, business commitments and easy access to London for Mrs GS preclude it.

If one moves to another country, then the world's your oyster, normally! You can chose (as has already been stated) to move to the best area which suits your personal wish list.

If one lived in the "Wrong" area of either England or France, then I'm sure one's opinion might prove diametrically opposite on these issues!

Russet house so you live in UK.

I know your area reasonably  well as I have good friends who live just near to you...there son has the Best restaurant in the UK [Bray.but  mum and dad are almost in Oxford]in accordance to all the foodie guides......so you are on the right side of the tracks....and choose to stay there... I guesse.

Gluestick you are in "Safe and sound land" I have 4 sets of friends who live in Essex.All of them aspire to move on but are restricted by partners, kids and fear.

There are choices throughout life...we make our own.

Bray - I know it well, my mother was born there and I was christened there, my grandfather helped found Micheal Parkinsons beloved cricket club.

We sometimes visit to eat there, not at the Fat Duck but at the Hinds Head or The Waterside.

Its a lovely village, but incredibly pricey.

Sorry, a little off piste.......[8-)]

So Russet house I can see exactly why you will never agree with my ideas.

I come from the poor side of town and see all aspects of UK.....Of course the hospitals in Berkshire are better than the ones in Mile End Road.

I have seen your part of town...how much have you seen of East London ..as it is today.....or Acton and Shepherds Bush West London.However Reading has its share of problems...lots of clashing gangs.Are you in Reading.....I think not!

[quote user="Gluestick"]

If one compares Renault (which as a nationalised industry pioneered leading edge automotive technologies in Formula One, eventually winning the FI World Championship), Citroen and Peugot for example, to Rover and Detroit their success is apparent.

[/quote]

No it isn't. A nationalised industry, that is. I have shares in Renault. The French Government owns less than 15% and has done since 2003.Before which it owned around 29%-ish.

Er..................................who said it still was?

It wasn't de-nationalised until 1994. By that time the turbo era was over and gone.

However, the research and design work then and thereafter set the stage for Renault's subsequent victories in FI both as Williams-Renault and Renault themselves, culminating in a World Championship for in 2005 and again in 2006.

According to my reference sources in fact the French government still owns 15.1% of the issued equity plus 2.7% of Treasury Stock: which in fact makes 17.8% effective percent.

The French government didn't start its major divestment until after 2002.

http://www.renault.com/renault_com/en/main/20_FINANCE/L_action_Renault/20_Repartition_du_capital/

However, apart from that, I'm sure that you are right!

[Www]

Y es Russet House I agree that if a couple are living in area of Berkshire/Oxford borders were most people are affluent and crime levels are relatevly low you are well placed for employement and job security.The area is really pretty and the hospitals are efficient Iam sure.A friend of mine lives in Bath and I  could see that the hospital where she was cared for was efficient and the nurses were careing.I can also see that  the prospects for your children are really important.To all those in a similar situation please try to understand that If you do not Live in London....you do not know it as I do.

There is no need to shoot my views down in flames as  I have spoken to you truelly about my huge dissapointment and bad experiences with hospitals and Gps [some outside London} and variouis sectors of Local goverment.If you had been endured my experiences your attitude would be a little different.I lost a member of my family due to the neglegence of a hospital and another member of my family was badly treated in a London Hospital..I know what you may say next "well that could have happened in France".However it did not happen in France.

I may be new to your forum ....but I have owned properties in France for many  as a holiday home like Jaqui and Russet possably do.So my knowlege of France is fairly broad.......

The forum is a place to exchange ideas...maybe help each other ....there is absolutely no need  for a   member to be rude about my typing/spelling.I would have thought that this may have been a job for The moderator/editor.