wheres the totty !

euro

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Russethouse"]there is no history of men having to fight for equality[/quote]We gave up the fight centuries ago when we realised we could never be your equals [:-))] [/quote]

Well you know the expression: 'All men are created equal.....equally useless.' [;-)]

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me totty is a word I associate with the, how shall I say it, slightly older gentleman?  A bit like bird, talent, crumpet and bit of skirt.  I never hear anyone of my generation using the word, apart perhaps from the odd comedian.

Still, I suppose it might be a useful weapon in the armoury of someone hoping to win over a female with his comic charms.

I quite like the french term belle plante though, shame then that Mr Cat prefers to refer to me as his chicken.  I'm sure it loses something in translation [8-)] 

[quote user="Cat"]Mr Cat prefers to refer to me as his chicken.  I'm sure it loses something in translation [8-)] [/quote]

That's lovely[:)] Me mammy called me that too, but me woman calls me her little puffin.  She got me a tin of strawberries yesterday to cheer me up because I was miserable after all me new paint fell off the wall.

Aren't the negative reactions just a bit prickly though? and of course language fails to communicate fully when not accompanied by the ability to glance in the direction of the speaker to ascertain his worth? the missus would usually automatically reply 'I'm top totty' but whether it was accompanied by a smile or stony look would depend entirely on the visual valuation of the speaker! I am still puzzling over the fact that George Clooney* could say anything he wanted, as I'm sure some women would agree, my better half quite liked 'petite lapin' until she understood all the connotations.

*(insert your own favourite personality here!)

[8-|]Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours.

[quote user="Frenchie"]Petit lapin is lovely, no connotations IMO ...[/quote]

Hi Frenchie,

Thanks for your comment, of course that is usually the sentiment intended by petit lapin (note the correction!)
the prickly ones might point out the playboy club and their motive for using the bunny as a motif . . .

[8-|]the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is

Maybe the other French members will correct me , but I don't think PETIT lapin would be perceived as offensive by any French person..

It is just a nice way to call someone you care for.. ( I often call my son like that.. [:$] but not in front of his mates of course !!! [:D] )

But saying that a man is a lapin ( different from petit lapin ) would be very very different... it would imply  that ....  how would I say that in English ... ?  errr ... his sexual performance is as quick as the one of a rabbit ....... ) 

Some words are perceived differently by French ./ English people , I think it is a " cultural thing" ..

Seems Euro the OP has either got bored, gone to sleep, or maybe found some of his elusive "totty", but if he is still reading this I'm sure he will be as bemused as I that we have progressed, if that is indeed the appropriate term, from a lonely heart plea to premature ejaculation [:$]

Whatever one of those is [;-)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

But John, George Clooney is percieved as being a gentleman and as such would never use such a cheapening expression....[Www][Www]

[/quote]

I think I get your drift!, you might be right and there's the dichotomy, he has no trouble getting top totty! But he plays rogues with likable qualities, wanted to play J.D. in Thelma & Louise, (good scene that, some beginner called Pitt got it), Divorced, says he will never get married again, nor have any children, Michelle Pfeiffer and Nicole Kidman bet $10,000 each he would be a father before he turned 40 (I wonder why!). They were both wrong though, and they paid up. He returned the money, betting double or nothing that he won't have kids by age 50! Broke up with girlfriend Krista Allen 2004, voted sexiest male celebrity in 'Naughty Forties'. If that's what you girls want . . .
Owns a villa in Laglio at Lake Como, Italy, Been there seen it, that's what I want, my kinda of guy too.

[8-|]you die at a very young age, or you live long enough to watch your friends die. It's a mean thing, life George Clooney

[quote user="Hoddy"]I think Mortimer was quoting from 'Elizabeth and her German Garden' by Elizabeth von Arnim in which Elizabeth always refers to her husband as 'He who must be obeyed". It is a long time since I read it though. Hoddy[/quote]

H. Ryder Haggard - Hoddy. 

Thanks for that. You're right, of course. I've checked now and in "Elizabeth and her German Garden" she refers to her husband as 'the Man of Wrath". I said it was a long time ago didn't I ? It's even longer since I read "She".

Hoddy

You of course would never say what a friend of my OH said some many years' ago as a chat up line in a disco in Yorkshire and wondered why his face was slapped -

'You don't sweat much for a fat lass'!! Thankfully my Yorkshire lad has never been so crude!

Sorry Will, not been able to reply  up to now, as said before, Oh is from Yorkshire and RW is not!

Mind you you can take the man out of Yorskshire, but not Yorkshire out of the man. He is a gentleman, and although will be hitting the half century this week, I know I'd rather have mine and be poor than Rw and rich (I think).