Ouch ! this is starting to hurt.

Bugsy

One reason I pointed out my French property taxes are as high as they are, was because I did not want anyone budgeting for a possible move to France to underestimate the potential cost if they live near or in a town, or more in a more expensive area of France like the south.

French property taxes are frequently quoted on the forum as being much lower in France as compared to the UK, but as NormanH highlights it all comes down to where you live.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Sprogster, in that one shouldn't get too sucked in by the "it's cheaper/more expensive" thing - so much depends upon you, the way you live, and where you live.  I remarked the other week that I believed that general food shopping was pretty much on a par with the UK and the thread then developed into an "I agree/no, it's cheaper/no it's more expensive" debate.  Depends on what you buy regularly, does it not?

Same with houses and general living costs.  There's no substitute for finding out for yourself - particularly local taxes - before you buy a property.

Local taxes vary literally from commune to commune.  The budget is set by the maire and conseil municipal.  This can be extraordinarily unfair.  Our village is in effect 2 villages - one on each side of the river, which are in different departments but which share many of the same facilities.  Taxes on 'the other side' are less than a third of that in our commune.  We pay 1600€ a year and friends with BIGGER house and much more land in other commune pay but 450€.  Our commune runs all the facilities, school etc, the other doesn't have one but benefits from ours.  Never chose a house believing you will pay low taxes on the basis that someone else in your area does.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Quite.  Have a look at the previous owner's most recent bill.  In fact in our case, the amounts were on the property's details from the agent.  I assumed that was the norm?

[/quote]

Your post is quite timely Coops as I have just returned from the Hôtel des Impôts for the second time.

Yesterday I learnt that most of my property is incorrectly still rated as commercial (it was a hotel/bar/restaurant) and that I would qualify for a degrevement but only for the last 2 years, not the 4 that I have paid[:(]

Today I found that I would in fact have to pay a lot more as the habitable areas had been severely underdeclared 36m2 instead of 220m2 notwithstanding  those that were reported as commercial use.[:D]

Even more irksome is that I have to declare chauffage central for the whole habitable area when in fact I only have electric heating in the 2 pieces that are "actually" habitable. The previous owners had oil central heating across the whole property but never declared it, I have since removed it together with all the plumbing as it was all shot.

The impôts simulation was done on the basis that the habitable areas had a level of confort and etat described as something like "adequate" ( I cant remember the term but it was one up from mauvaise) which added 200 euros to the bill, they would not except at this stage my insistance that it was all (except the 34m2 that I have renovated and occupy) inhabitable and in a mauvaise etat.

I will wait for the final judgement, (the lady was going to discuss it with her boss over lunch) and perhaps consider an appeal.

So my advice is dont rely solely on what the previous owners were paying, ask neighbours with similar properties and keep schtumm if you think you are ahead of the game[:)]

The town versus rural doesn't seem to apply to us at all. We live just outside a tiny village, have no rubbish collection, we must take our rubbish in the car to the rubbish containers approximately 1/2 km away and have a fosse so no mains that we are paying for. I just looked up what we are paying on both the h&f taxes and it was 2,149 euros. It really does seem to be very unfair and no rhyme or reason that some people pay very little and others pay so much more. [:(] 

Wooly's Brother, I have checked it, in fact I went into the tax office to say that the square meters on our house is not as big as what is stated on the form. They did make a very slight adjustment but really made no difference at all. Is there anything else I should be checking?  This thread has really pointed out how much more we are paying. [:(]

NormanH, we are in S.E. Dordogne.

I think you will find it is set on the following,

The price you can get from renting,that is if you rented it.

[quote user="chessfou"]Yes, thank goodness for the difference between taxe d'habitation and council tax. Comparing our 4bed, 2 recep + garage etc. here and there and accepting the fact that there is a difference between small village (here) and medium size town (there), nonetheless we are paying €301 this year against £2,329 (near enough €3,000 even at today's lowly exchange rate).
[/quote]

Yes, but in France you need a Mutuelle for healthcare and pay high social charges! One thing cancels out the other.

I'm starting to get realy confused with the replies covering such a wide area of France.

We live in dept 16 (Charante)...Have 60 acres and 2 houses contained within...

We pay 145 tax habitation and 1700 Tax fonciere...

We are addressed as Confolens, although 1 km outside the town....

Just goes to show the large differences between communes.

Regards

[quote user="Stuart"]

I'm starting to get realy confused with the replies covering such a wide area of France.

Regards

[/quote]

I imagine that was a typo and the figures are 1450 and 1700

[quote user="Stuart"]

Regards

[/quote]

Very good for rent return.

[quote user="Clair"]The amount to pay for the taxe d'habitation depends on the composition of the household (children and/or other dependants), the declared income as well as the "rentable value" of the property.
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/...Impôt, taxe et douane: Impôts locaux
[/quote]

In our case, there are no children and no income. We don't declarre any income in France because it is a second home. Therefore, it is making even less sense.

[quote user="Stuart"]

Not a typo Norman....145 for tax habitation...

I believe that well over 100 E of that relates to a TV licence...

Win some, lose some I think..

[/quote]

I don't believe such a small Taxe d'Habitation.

Even  I in one of the cheapest places in France pay 120 for 76 sq m

And there is never such disparity between the two taxes. ( No TV because that is paid with the town house)

Having bought our residence secondaire last summer, we have yet to receive our first bill for tax h & f.  (If anyone in northern Orne can give us an indication of what they pay it would be really useful, given the apparent wide variations.

But my question (which I fear may be slightly off topic) is what do we need to do to ensure we don't pay the TV licence element?  Is it simply a matter of going into the Tresor Public and asking,  and if so should I do so before or after we receive the bill?

Thanks

Helen

The TV ownership (or non-ownership) is declared on the income tax declaration, which you will not receive if you are not a French resident.

I think the "default setting"is for it to be charged for, and the onus is left on those who don't need to pay to take the necessary steps for a cancellation or refund.

On the taxe d'habitation demand you will eventually receive, there will be a tel number and address for your local tax office. Either call them or pay them a visit and explain you do not have a TV set and they should do the necessary.