DY France Forum

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean the forum where some of the old members post, it's working again this morning.  I won't be posting there anymore now though, as I've just seen these unbelievable posts on that forum, being nasty about the members here wishing Sunday Drivers well after his horrible accident

[quote user="Will"]I saw that, and although I wish them well I didn't feel I wanted to be just another one posting a crass comment about speedy recoveries. So I will post it here.[/quote]

[quote user="TempsPerdu"]

Yes I know what you mean... I'm just waiting for some 'half wit' to say... Give them my best wishes but could you ask SD how I import my Jap Grey Import Pajero... what paperwork do I need? !!!!!!

Or another thought....

Can you imagine the other sides insurance company being given a hard time because of SD's knowledge of the French Highway Code!!

[/quote]

A forum like that I can live without!

And I am sure that the other forum can live without people who register at this site for the sole purpose of quoting comments on another forum out of context.

To set the record straight, it was TP who started the topic at diyfrance, and he linked to a discussion at yet another forum (as I think he is still banned from here he could hardly have linked to this forum). The purpose of his topic was to wish the victims well.

The particular 'crass comment' I had in mind referred to people not paying attention to where they were going on the roads. It came from still another forum - so there is no way I was being 'nasty about the members here'. I don't recall the exact words, and don't want to because I thought it in very poor taste.

I apologise unreservedly if the misquote has caused any offence to anybody here, and I hope that SW will do likewise and apologise for posting this misinformation. It goes without saying that I add my good wishes to SD and Mrs SD to the many others here and elsewhere.

I would second what Will said.  No-one mentioned this forum and we all wish Sunday Driver and his wife a speedy recovery. 

SW's comment is unkind and uncalled for.  No-one is obliged to be a member of any forum - playing one off against the other is childish and unpleasant.  And for the record I've said that several times on the other forum too.

[quote user="The shining wit"]

I won't be posting there anymore now though, as I've just seen these unbelievable posts on that forum, being nasty about the members here wishing Sunday Drivers well after his horrible accident

A forum like that I can live without!

[/quote]

Shining Wit (really?) if you have any grievances with anyone who posts on DIY France forum, or with the forum itself, how about being a bit more straight and honest about it?

As it is, your way of sneaking in, using as a pretext the horrible accident suffered by SD to have a go at whoever it is you are trying to get at, is plain despicable and nasty. Is this the best you can do, using someone's tragedy to feed your bickering needs?

No matter which forum we belong to, I am certain that everyone with an ounce of compassion wishes Sunday Driver and his wife nothing but the best. and hopes for a full and speedy recovery for them both.

Can we leave personal prejudices, petty remarks and snide comments for some other, less grave occasion please?

"As it is, your way of sneaking in, using as a pretext the horrible accident suffered by SD to have a go at whoever it is you are trying to get at, is plain despicable and nasty. Is this the best you can do, using someone's tragedy to feed your bickering needs?"

So SW made up those posts?  He /she is "despicable and nasty" for drawing people's attention to these posts?  Why is that exactly? 

If the posts are misquoted or out of context post the whole thing so people on here can judge for themselves.  Go on I dare you!!

Sorry Ron, but I think that you know that that's just not on.  Even if what SW says is true, people can go to the other forum to have a look for themselves, and form their own opinions, rather than copying vast tracts of text over to this forum.

BTW, Will has pointed out that Shining Wit is a spoonerism of something else,  people can probably work that one out for themselves too [:'(]

[quote user="Cat"]

No matter which forum we belong to, I am certain that everyone with an ounce of compassion wishes Sunday Driver and his wife nothing but the best. and hopes for a full and speedy recovery for them both.

Can we leave personal prejudices, petty remarks and snide comments for some other, less grave occasion please?

[/quote]

Cathy:

You read my mind.

The critical thing here is that Dave and Brenda recover with no injury and are able to resume the life they worked so hard for and the fitness and health necessary.

So come on people, lighten up and focus on the real issues here, please; i.e. that our virtual friends, (and a man who has, gratis, given so much to so many on this site, quite willingly),  Dave and Brenda are OK.

On the matter of flowers and a card, can I make a suggestion that I helped with a few years back when a senior US tech forum member and "Den Mum" was taken into hospital? Members from all over the World contributed to one wonderful guy who handled the finances and arranged for the flowers and cards.

We did this via PayPal.

The same thing happened when she suddenly and so sadly passed away: but this time it was a benefit for her 17 year old son, who was left not only homeless but broke in the USA. Not a nice place to be in that condition!

A senior forum member even finished up homing him.

Is there a forum member near Dave and Brenda's hôpital, with a PayPal account who would be willing to receive contributions and purchase the necessary and hopefully, take some pics It would be a significant amount of work and admin, but not too onerous.

A dedicated thread could be started to report progress.

Over to you, guys and gals.

[:)]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

So SW made up those posts?  He /she is "despicable and nasty" for drawing people's attention to these posts?  Why is that exactly? 

If the posts are misquoted or out of context post the whole thing so people on here can judge for themselves.  Go on I dare you!!

[/quote]

I guess you must be talking to me Ron A.

Whoever Shining Wit might be , it is rather odd that he/she suddenly comes on with a FIRST POST  quoting from another forum, with the point being "Look at those nasty people over there". All this under the guise of showing concern for Sunday Driver.

Who on earth would need to appear under a new name on this forum, since it is very likely that SW is someone else we all know?   Someone with a big, deep grudge. That person may well wish SD well, AS WE ALL DO, but that is not on top of their agenda. Their agenda is to HAVE A GO.

You have dared me. Now what:  "Come outside if you are a man?".[:P]

Edit: Sorry Cat, I had not seen your post.

We (the forum mods that is) chipped together and sent some flowers to the hospital Saturday morning, but it was a relatively modest offering compared to what the combined donations of our forum members could achieve.  I think your idea is a great one Gluey, and it should be pretty easy to arrange for someone with a Paypal account. Even if he or she doesn't live near to the hospital, Interflora France uses a local florist in Bressuire, can take orders via their internet site, and will deliver to the hospital. 

Or, if a significant sum is involved, perhaps Dave and Brenda would prefer a donation made to a favourite charity?  Tricky... perhaps Mr Wiggy could advise?

Maybe there could be a 'cap' on the amount for flowers and any balance be spent on a hamper of easy to prepare food or treats.

It would need to be organized by someone local though........

Is any one near enough to be able to help with lawn mowing, weeding, that sort of thing ? Perhaps it's already taken care of ?

I think you will find that Will is referring to a comment made on a third forum (neither DIY or ours) and there are some strange comments. The only issue I would have is that I am surprised that Will never said that in the post as a way of explanation of his comments as taken in the context in which he wrote them. If I had not gone and checked myself I would be quite upset, its so easy to be misunderstood at times. It would seem that even 'proffesional' writers can get things wrong.

In jumping to Wills defence I think he is genuinely sorry if the comments he made elsewhere which have been repeated here have upset anyone. He may be a lot of things but being nasty and vindictive on such a serious issue is not his thing. Therefore I think we should accept his apology and all move on.

I am wondering that SD may spend some time on the various forums after his return home due to incapacity from his injuries, time to burn etc, I wonder what he would think if he read this little lot? If any of those who have posted here would prefer that the posts in this thread on this particular issue be deleted I would be more than happy to do so. A simple yes or no from those that have posted will suffice.

Talking about prangs, there was a lovely old big BMW in the next village this morning. Well the driver had completelyt missed a corner and removed a wall. The car was about half its original length. Had anything been coming the opposite way, I dread to think of the consequences.

Go careful out there guys. Drive defensively.

Wooly says, "Drive defensively!"

You know, that is what I do all the time since I have lived in France.  In fact, I do it to a ridiculous degree.  I'd sit at a junction and I feel like a child using the Green Cross Code, you know, look left, look right, look left, look.......and so on and then and only then will I nip across when there's practically nothing in sight!  Feel like a fool sometimes.

I do it because, whilst I can more or less predict with some accuracy what a British driver will do, I find it impossible to read the French motorist's mind in the same way.  Therefore, to be on the safe side, I let them do their manoeuvre first in case they do something unpredictable.

But then, of course, French drivers do not do anything erratic, do they?[:D] 

By the way, Wooly, do you know what the French driving test involves and how easy or otherwise it is to pass it?

Well, Sweets, took some friends over last week for a few days and he was driving.

He absolutely loved the empty roads and sanity in the Pas de Calais. I did make him use especial caution on roads joining from the right with no white lines, 'cos we do have quite a few old farmers in battered old cars who employ their rights of passage to the full.

When we returned, at the wrong time, he couldn't believe the traffic on the M20 and M25 let alone the London A13!

And at times his language was a wee bit naughty!

So I said, "I'll bet you don't use that language when you've got your dogcollar on!" (Apart from he and his wife being very dear friends, he's also our vicar!).

Both of  the two of his younger kids who were with us instantly said, "Oh yes he does!"

[:D]

quote user="5-element

I guess you must be talking to me Ron A.

Whoever Shining Wit might be , it is rather odd that he/she suddenly comes on with a FIRST POST  quoting from another forum, with the point being "Look at those nasty people over there". All this under the guise of showing concern for Sunday Driver.

Edit: Sorry Cat, I had not seen your post.

5 -Element, I accept that its his/her first post on here and it may be opportunistic, but who gave him the ammunition? I just found it strange that SW is described as despicable according to some who post on DIY France yet nobody has condemned TP yet for a particular crass post and as for others, why not just post best wishes on a Forum that SD actually uses?

One of your other members is not covering himself in glory on here either with stupid one line posts, glad he thinks its all so funny, but par for the course for him.

"drive defensively" was the advice given in British Council briefing files when being prepared for a foreign posting. And it was right too. Best ever were the Iranian trucks which used to park in the tunnels of the main roads  for the night without lights, of course. And some very hairy, late night road racers in Kuwait. Only ever got smashed up once though, about 2 seconds from the flat, by a junction jumper. No one hurt thank Frith, but boy was my Holden a mess.

By the way, I offered my commiserations long ago on the appropriate thread, but do not consider the sniping on this one to be worthy of any of its members, and noticeably kept out of it, for which I got a big wet vitrual smacker. Nice it was too.

Shining Wit must be laughing his or HER heads off.

I just realised that if you change the first letters of Shining Wit it means something else!  Yeah I am a bit slow sometimes- by the way it ain't me as my software doesn't allow me to change my id as any of the mods here can vouch for me.

So does the person responsible for this alter-ego have the balls or the ovaries to admit to who it is really?

The mods might have an idea as they have the IP addresses of the computers used by members. If it is a new address then it is someone who has gone to some lengths to hide their identity. I notice that it was only the one post though, wasn't it. I suggest that it is a wet day, people are bored and that the whole thing might be ignored.

Don't worry Twinkle,. With age it becomes Winkle![6]