Died?

About all these boxes (I mean houses) springing up in France.  That is why house prices are sensible in France.  Inceasing supply to meet demand.

Round here, we have lotissements galore being built - estates where people buy a plot of land and put up a house to an agreed specification.  Our village is 2000 population and I should think at least 200 houses are being built at the moment.  You rarely see that happening in a UK village.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]

About all these boxes (I mean houses) springing up in France.  That is why house prices are sensible in France.  Inceasing supply to meet demand.[/quote]

Not sure if I can agree with that concept, Cathy.

More likely that (i) mortgages (and indeed ALL credit is restricted, sensibly to being affordable - really!) (i) A large swathe of French people can't afford a brand new house, much as they would love one!

What definitely does keep a majority of French houses low in price is the land cost.

The huge grazing field next to our French house, which goes along one side and right over the back is up for sale as the owner, our French friend's late Mum died last year. It will not sell for much more than €25K: I would dearly love to purchase it, but we'll see what the future brings. Right now in any case it's locked into a contentious and typically French probate battle!

In UK Home Counties it would probably become 75 houses................................

In the UK houses have never, until recent hikes in materials such as copper and wood and cement (uses oil to heat the furnaces), been cheaper, due to system building.

What is ridiculously expensive is the land cost.

Mainly since a majority live in England: and the majority of that majority live in the South.

And a majority of the developable land mass is still owned by the very few.

As Peter Snow pointed out most graphically in his BBC Two prog a few years back.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="now just john "]

I don't know how you got yours up so quickly Gluey !

[/quote]They're both talking dirty now.[:P]

Is club racing still so much fun these days or is that behind us forever?  Love the Mk1 Sprite, John. I have a friend - known to all as Gary Frogeye, because his name is Frogeye and he drives a Gary - who has one.  It should be at LM in a fortnight.

[/quote]

Whilst Club Racing still goes on, JE, their problem is circuits and cost.

Also, "Club Racers" aint the same breed. If you look at the 750 Motor Club site you'll see what I mean.

The good old days of building a racing car from an original Austin Seven are gone and dusted!

Which is a great shame since such worthies as Chunky Chapman, Gem Marsh, Les Ballamy, Eric Broadley et al, all cut their teeth on the original formula.

http://www.750mc.co.uk/F-750-trophy.php

I've been chatting, here and there to a nice guy who competes in an historic series for saloons: campaigns an original 60s Ford Cortina GT and it's restricted to fairly original specs, however much modifying goes on!

I've been racking the old tired braincells and giving him some ideas on improving engine breathing, but within the regs, since we did much work on tuning Ford lumps nearly 40 years ago...................

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Blimey, John, you've a long memory!  I'd forgotten that song [:D]

[/quote]You don't watch "Weeds" then Sweet 17, as this is its theme song.  (A must see in my book!)

Hey, don't you just love threads about nothing and everything?  Well done, Gluey (goodness, the people you know/knew).

[/quote]

Coops, my knowlege of popular culture and, indeed, of racing cars could be summed up on the back of the proverbial postage stamp.  Sorry!

Who (I won't say "what") are the Weeds?

Regards from a totally mystified Sweet 17

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Blimey, John, you've a long memory!  I'd forgotten that song [:D]

[/quote]You don't watch "Weeds" then Sweet 17, as this is its theme song.  (A must see in my book!)

Hey, don't you just love threads about nothing and everything?  Well done, Gluey (goodness, the people you know/knew).

[/quote]

Coops, my knowlege of popular culture and, indeed, of racing cars could be summed up on the back of the proverbial postage stamp.  Sorry!

Who (I won't say "what") are the Weeds?

Regards from a totally mystified Sweet 17

[/quote]Weeds is an American TV series (don't let that put you off) about a woman whose husband dies and she discovers he is heavily in debt.  To support her family, she sells - you guessed it - weed, to the local populus, aided and abetted by the mayor and various other locals.  Very funny, moving, and brilliantly acted, especially by Mary Louise Parker (of Fried Green Tomatoes fame) in the lead role.  "Little Boxes" is its theme song.  Nothing whatsoever to do with motor racing.

http://www.tv.com/weeds/show/28829/summary.html

Drugs and Money:

Hmm

Received this morning.

Seized by the Drugs Police IN mexico from a dealer; worth $ 204,000,000, apparently.

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/Cash4-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/Cash3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/Cash4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/Cash1.jpg[/IMG]

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what it is, but a pall of inactivity seems to have settled down over me.  It's as much as I can do to keep up with the daily stuff, cleaning, weeding, feeding the dog, feeding the OH.  Everything seems to be a huge effort!

I did sit around watching Nadal beat Djorkovic (however it's spelt) in the Stella Artois Tournament and it was enough to wear me out watching those two!

You got any ideas for resurrecting the forum, Steve?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I don't know what it is, but a pall of inactivity seems to have settled down over me.  It's as much as I can do to keep up with the daily stuff, cleaning, weeding, feeding the dog, feeding the OH.  Everything seems to be a huge effort!

[/quote]

Same with me !!!   Had planned lots of cleaning etc, gardening...........and I spent the afternoon on the phone.. and it was tiring too !![:D]

( In English)

I wanted to write an obituary for the forum because I think it feels like time to get the stone mason to carve out an RIP headstone for it.

Then I thought, can I resurrect it, perhaps?  Well, no, can't do it on my own so I hope others will come forward and post some "stuff".  Any old stuff will do because the forum has now gone beyond quiet.  The life support machine is barely working, the heart-rate monitor is showing nearly a straight horizontal line, the pulse is feeble, the breathing is laboured......you get the picture.

Somebody, somewhere, please say something!  THE SILENCE IS DEAFENING!

I think that may be at the heart of the problem. France forums are multiplying all the time, so the big long-established ones have more and more competition. Granted, forums come and forums go, but there is still a good number out there to take up people's time and bandwidth. In addition the falling pound and the stagnant UK housing market must almost certainly be affecting the numbers looking to buy/move to France and thence their need for information.

And of course some people may be watching the footie or the tennis or the.....[:)]

Just my two penn'orth

Havent looked in here for a while now and just saw this thread.  I noticed the Forum became quite cliquey - some people can feel a little left out or even intimidated.  Quite a few of the threads just would go completey off tangent and resorted to little 'sub' conversations which tend to exclude the majority. I am not criticising but merely making an observaation, plus the forum did lose alot of regular, long-standing posters which were sometimes controversial. I think these people were the foundation of the forum hence the only way to go since has been down.  A real shame.

Deby

WB... Me ? a housewife ??

Wish I was sometimes   LOL

Want 96 exam papers to mark before the middle of next week ?

In which case I might consider your curtains................. [;-)]............ [:D]........................ [kiss]

[quote]Want 96 exam papers to mark before the middle of next week ?[/quote]

No thanks Frenchie thats what I have been doing for the last two weeks [blink]  I too wish I could be a house wife occasionslly

(Mind you so does my OH)[:D]  

Judith

Soooooo looking forward to the summer hols