Using UK credit cards, with French address, online for UK services

Judith

Not sure this the right place - but here goes ....

Just had a problem buying a UK rail ticket online because it did not like a French address without UK formatted postcode.  So I put in a postcode as XX0 0XX and got past that stage.  But then the credit card wouldn't accept the address, because of course, they don't have a made up postcode on their records.  All my UK cc's have been altered to the French address.  I'm currently stymied, but awaiting a reply to my email saying "why can't I /" ..... etc.

Has anybody else had this problem, and if so, did they find a way round it.  I'd prefer not to use the French cards unless I have to as I left sterling over in the UK for just such an occasion.

At this rate my sister is going to have to buy it post the ticket to me!!!

I have found that its important to enter the address exactly as its written on the bill. The reason I say exactly the same is because they can for instance put the post code in twice, once on the town name like the French and again at the bottom like we do in the UK. English systems don't cope well with none UK postcodes as many check them against a database they buy from the Post Office. There are however one or two sites I simply can't use my credit card on because of this postcode thing.

There are a lage number of sites that just will not accept credit cards with a French address, I have had problems with interflora outlets and Amazon to name but two, its just something you have to live with I'm afraid.

You could try using Paypal if that is accepted, you can set up an account on your UK credit card account, costs nothing to the buyer. 

Never had problems paying with either my Nationwide CC or my Tesco CC.  Both have my French address.  Certainly have never had a problem with Amazon.

The one thing I can't do is top up my Tesco mobile on the phone or on line because of not having a UK post code.  I get over that by getting a friend in the UK to top up for me and then I credit their bank account on line.

No other probs that I could think of.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Never had problems paying with either my Nationwide CC or my Tesco CC.  Both have my French address.  Certainly have never had a problem with Amazon.

[/quote]

I think that the problem for the OP is with RailEurope and / or booking a UK domestic rail fare.

Up to about this time last year, you could 'force it' by (as suggested) plugging in any old UK postcode, even though it didn't match your c/c French address. They've stopped that now & when I rang for a Meldrew rant, I was told that it was to prevent fraudulent usage.  Yeah right, so a fraudster is going to book a single from London to Loughborough rather than pillage the online retailers?

I'm afraid that the OP is up the creek: only option is to get a trusted friend / relative's card details, use that & reimburse.  Daft. 

Recently I had to provide additional security information when using a credit card (billed in Sterling) with a French address on a UK website (FCUK).

Apparently overseas addresses cannot be checked automatically. The supplier asked for a faxed copy of the CC statement showing the French address and the last four digits of the card (other info blacked out).  Once they received that, the goods were dispatched.

I've never had this request from a supplier before.  It was a pain to fiddle about with the paperwork, but then VISA have always fully refunded any fraudulent transactions on my accounts, so I can't complain about their service.

Edit: Oops! *** =  French Connection UK, trading as the initials.

It was a while ago but I've experienced similar even within the UK.

When ordering goods on the phone to be sent to an address other than that at which the card was registered I had to fax the retailer a copy of the card.

Paypal definitely has it's uses however trying to pay for a UK rail ticket with it is a potentially entertaining concept Ron [:D]

Judith ..........

Since posting last night, I've realised that there is a way round this, always assuming that you're seeking to buy a ticket from France to the UK & return.

SNCF 'boutiques' (shops), which exist in most reasonable sized towns, are good. We booked our Christmas round trip to the UK with them last November. I had got fed up with the SNCF website (a well-documented problem) because I wasn't getting the options I was seeking.

Went along to the local boutique, provided the train details that I wanted and she was able to give me the precise routing, fare and the 1st class option (at minimal additional cost) that I was after. Paid with a UK debit card (French address) and on my way rejoicing within 10 mins.

Like me, you may be sceptical about using one of these shops, but my experience was that they were on the ball: it helps though, if you know precisely what you want (but from previous posts, you use the trains regularly, so you will know). The assistant explained that she has visibility of all the options on her screen, not just the ones that the website chooses to display. Worth a try.

Thank you everyone, and sorry to be late getting back to this.  Went offline after posting as we had visitors, and only back on now.

OK, no it was neither Rail Europe or SNCF, but the actual train co web site - in this case what used to be GNER.  It was the nationwide card which started the rot, and all others went pear shaped.  I've emailed my sister and she will buy it for me if needed (she said it would be a shame to miss out on such a good price (single London- Newcastle for £14!).  I still await any reply from the company themselves, but don't now expect one till the weekend is over.

You can't win - you try to stay legal and change all the addresses and then this happens!

PS Gardian - thanks - I was going to try the sncf boutique if all else failed, but I've already booked my outward trip to Lille, and am only waiting for the Eurostar date to arrive when I can book my return across the channel (next week)- all that I need then is the UK leg, and the return form Lille when that is opened, but I have an alert on that for the date it opens. As you say - I've used the trains enough to know what usually is possible.  But I'll keep what you say in mid about the web site vv the boutique options for another time.    Ta!

Just a point Judith, there is nothing illegal about having your bank A/C and cards registered to a UK address.

I also have a NW A/C and initially transferred it to France but came up against the same problem as you and on the advice of NW transfered it to my son's address. All completely above board.

Opening a new A/C by pretending you are UK resident would be another matter of course.

Reporting back .....  success! 

Having had no reply from  my message to the web site (surprised - moi?) I tried again, and this time found a little (tiny) button saying, enter international address - so I did, and after several failures (as said, you need to know how the address is recorded - so I had to check that too) and then avoid putting in another postcode in the postcode (I put France in it as it didn't like no entry in it) and it worked!!!!  I do hope it was not a flash in the pan, but as I've another couple of tickets to buy, I'll have another go when I've got that part of the journey sussed and hope it works again!

Many thanks for all the help.

[quote user="Judith"]Reporting back .....  success! 

Having had no reply from  my message to the web site (surprised - moi?) I tried again, and this time found a little (tiny) button saying, enter international address - so I did, and after several failures (as said, you need to know how the address is recorded - so I had to check that too) and then avoid putting in another postcode in the postcode (I put France in it as it didn't like no entry in it) and it worked!!!!  I do hope it was not a flash in the pan, but as I've another couple of tickets to buy, I'll have another go when I've got that part of the journey sussed and hope it works again!

Many thanks for all the help.

[/quote]

On a vaguely similar note, neither Gulf air nor Emirates like a P.O.Box xxxx number, but will accept a POBox xxxx  number, apparently they consider full stops as 'foreign' characters. It did however take a phone call to find out......Weird!

Lets be clear about this - its crap website design, put together by people who haven't tested their system properly, including putting themselves and 'consumers' through the ordering process.

It can be done: Amazon, Ryanair and MUFC merchandise (our son is a supporter!) to name but three.

Forcing the customer who is trying to order online to have to make phone calls or send emails, is the proof of the pudden.  I rest my case.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Lets be clear about this - its crap website design, put together by people who haven't tested their system properly, including putting themselves and 'consumers' through the ordering process.

[/quote]

I couldn't agree more!  Any design should be "tested" to destruction and made "idiot proof".  They very rarely are!  But don;t get me started on that one!

[quote user="Gardian"]Lets be clear about this - its crap website design, put together by people who haven't tested their system properly, including putting themselves and 'consumers' through the ordering process.[/quote]Nor in possesion of sufficient intelligence or imagination to realise that not every traveller is a UK resident with a UK address and a UK credit card !

Interesting report on Bloomberg today that European Union officials are now expressing concern that the devalaution of the £ against the euro is having a serious adverse knock on effect on the European Union economies, as the UK is their single biggest trading partner, and exports to the UK from other European Union countries have slumped because of the weak £.

I'm surprised it's taken them so long, myself, Sprogster.

I'm amazed how many people I've spoken to here about this, have no idea that the UK retain sterling in spite of being in the EU.  I encourage many of them to buy stuff from the UK as it's now so much cheaper.  However, it is true to say that many website designers have not caught on to the fact of global economics.  If only they made their websites more user friendly, they would get far more trade from abroad.  Just have a look at the money saving board.  Those few places with flexible websites open to all currencies, have been a real hit with me.  It p**s me off that I can't buy a crossing on Eurotunnel without paying in Euros at their inflated exchange rates.  Or Play.com..  The list is endless, in fact.