Place names

Chancer

Do you have any strange or amusing town or village names in your part of France?

I was amused to drive thorough a place called Pi55y recently.

I also had a girlfriend who was born in Loose in Kent, you can guess what her nick-name was!

But the two villages in this article on Free.fr really do take the biscuit

http://actualite.portail.free.fr/insolite/24-10-2010/les-habitants-de-fucking-en-ont-assez-des-britanniques/

I have friends who live in PRAT, in Brittany.

A place that makes me smile - now - is the beach where possibly due to a combination of sun, wine and and excess of joie de vivre, I slipped on the rocks and ripped the skin off my elbow down to the bone, scarred for life I am, and it happened at Coudeville-plage (geddit?? = Elbowtown!!!)

Yes the forum software has editted the link, had I looked carefully at the URL and realsied that it carried the rude word I would not have posted it.

For those that wish to replace the asterists to use the link it is a 7 letter word, the present continous participle of the English gros mot for the sexual act, its the the name of a village in Austria IIRC where they are getting fed up of crank callers from radio DJ's and people being photographed beneath the village name signs, hopefully not in the act!

It also describes how the occupants of another town (German) called w**k decided to use the notoriety to their benefit.

[quote user="Chancer"]

For those that wish to replace the asterists to use the link it is a 7 letter word, the present continous participle of the English gros mot for the sexual act, its the the name of a village in Austria IIRC where they are getting fed up of crank callers from radio DJ's and people being photographed beneath the village name signs, hopefully not in the act!

[/quote]The mayor is said to be fed up telling (mostly British) tourists that there are no f****** postcards [blink]

[quote user="Cathy"]I was born close to Paradise.

It's a village in Gloucestershire.

[/quote]

There's also a Paradise in Norway, it's near Trondheim. And Trondheim's airport is at a place called Hell. So I can safely say that I have had a bus ride from Paradise to Hell in the space of half an hour or so.

Not here in France, but not far up the road in Switzerland, actually in the beautiful Gomsertal, there is a little village called Bitsch. Many English-speaking folk stand at the entrance of the village where the sign is situated and have their photo taken. Not me though!

[quote user="just john "]then of course there is Piddletrenthide on the River Piddle in Dorset[/quote]

A dozen years ago, almost bought the old bakery in that village. Wonder how different our lives would have been if we had in fact gone ahead with the purchase?

We used to have friends who lived in Scr*w Corner, near Guildford I think.

I know it's slightly off-tack, but visiting French children of my acquaintance have gone into paroxysms of laughter over "pet shop", "pet food" etc signs.

And they think that the "soft verges" road signs in the UK are pretty funny too.

Angela

[quote user="just john "]then of course there is Piddletrenthide on the River Piddle in Dorset[/quote]

And in the Vale of Evesham is Piddle Brook. It rises near Inkberrow (one of the places on which "Ambridge" is modelled) and flows into the Avon at Wyre Piddle. Some years ago some wag tried bottling - and selling - Piddle Water.