If you are thinking of dealing with the drains today

Typical of my luck. I've just had a find whilst doing some gardening... was it a small fortune in gold coins???? No. my find is going to cost me to make it safe........ I was very lucky not to fall into a 6 ft wide by 20ft deep, well in the garden of my 1960's bungalow (UK).

Know how you feel John... A friend and I found one in the garden of a house he bought years ago  .It was covered with a bit of tin sheet and  vegetation and as we had small children then scared us a bit ....  This sort of thing  from your local forge if you are not going to fill it in should not be too expensive  . http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WROUGHT-IRON-WELL-COVER-/220810053797?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH&hash=item33694e08a5

Sadly, my well is not in a state to have one of those Frederick. It seems to be a bottle shaped well (I didn't know they existed until this evening) but the top brick work has collapsed.

I'd like to do something with it so as to preserve the history (especially as I now know that I don't need an abstraction license for the small amount of water I would take out.