Hindsight

Mary

Gone to Oz or NZ instead. Knowing what we do now and paying everything we earn in charges with nothing to show for it. Unfortunately we came to France pre-Internet and very little info was available then about setting up in business properly. Still, at least we are better off here quality of life-wise than those we left behind.

Would do more research and not let the OH heart rule his head. After viewing 9 properties in 4 days, we came by the one we finally bought after taking a wrong turning. Saw the house was for sale, rang the agent and hey presto we bought it.

I was struggling to think of anything, I couldnt say "to have done more homework beforehand " as I didnt do any at all, all of the obstacles that I have overcome could have been avoided with hindsight but what a boring life it would be, if I had have really done my research I probably would not have come full stop.

And then I thought of a major hindsight, i am surprised no-one has yet mentioned it, possibly the only regret but a major one.

I wish I had transferred all my savings into €uros when I first moved over and the pound was at €1.48 [:(]

Well I did that, but it did us no good. Sold our house at pre monstrous house inflation price increase you see. It went up almost four  fold subsequently in very  few years. And now is over 8 times more than we got for it, even now.

I always have our money where we live. So I transfered the house money from France back to the UK when the french house was sold, ofcourse if I had waited I would have literally been quids in, and made a few extra thousand.

I make a choice and don't look back where money is concerned.

We didn't do any homework. Never thought of doing it. Don't know where I could have done it anyway. And it was an adventure and one has to leap into the unknown sometimes, it is exciting and can be a little frightening, all good stuff really. 

Hi all. We too wanted to have a french adventure about ten years ago but owing to a combination of cold feet and investments taking a major dip it didn't happen. It would have been a second home, sharing the living between two countries. During that time I joined the forum but when things went pear shaped I lost interest. A new password makes me appear to be a newcomer. With present funds we could possibly manage a studio but being a country girl I think appartment living wouldn't suit me - a holiday bolthole maybe - I think I allowed my cold feet to spoil an experience and I admire all those of you who went with it!

I would have sold/Ebay'd/boot sale'd about half of our possessions which we spent a small fortune bringing to France - thinking we would need them - and of course we don't. So we still have about 50 boxes of stuff in the loft, been there for years - forgotten what's in them and past caring.

We bought our French house as a holiday home in 1990. Even then I felt uncertain about living out in the sticks, so I think I'd have looked more closely at being nearer or even in a hamlet/village. Five miles is a long way to go just for a loaf of bread.

That said, I love our views and the peace and quiet, and our few neighbours are great.