French Presidential Election Result.

Although there has been a well publicised campaign to tether the TV channels reports until after the 20:00 deadline, some media sources seem to have found a "loophole" by inviting readers to record the candidate for whom they have voted.

An example is 20Minutes; the recorded votes is NOT a "sondage" of course but has already by midday had many more participants than the usual structured opinion polls.

Not happy reading for those who have publicly stated on the forum.."Of course sarko will win...[:P]

At midday a total participation of 28.89%

Looks like Francois Hollande V Marine Le Pen run-off in the second round then.[:)]

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember, just, when Chirac ran for re-election and Penn the elder got loads of votes, more so than Chirac. Both went through to the second round and Penn got slaughtered. I am told the first round is all about sending people 'messages' and getting them to change their ideas slightly. How true this really is I do not know as I don't have much of an interest because it is out of my control.

" I do not know as I don't have much of an interest because it is out of my control."

But those of us who live in here full-time, and you even more with a business here, are not out of the control of the winner.

The result could have a significant impact on our lives, which was why I tried to arouse interest on another thread...

No I don't have much interest in who wins providing I can carry on as I am or be better off even. On the other hand I don't have the opportunity to vote so for me the President of France will be whoever it will be. If I don't like what is happening once the new president is on his/her seat and it effects my pocket or worse stops me being in the healthcare system (which I have always said is my main reason for being here) then I shall sell up and move elsewhere. Lets not forget that with the exception of Sarkozy (according to the BBC) most politicians promise the earth and yet fail dramatically to actually carry out any of their promises. So in my mind I tar them all with the same brush, liars, tricksters and fools but usually quite rich ones (so perhaps fools is not a good word t use). [;-)]

It would appear out of the  400.000 French people residing in London.    80 odd thousand can vote in this election ..from the lenght of the line down the Cromwell Road first thing this morning outside the polling booths . A good many decided to do so .  From the few questioned by reporters I got the impression they were not sure just how it would go ..

[quote user="Clair"]I'm so, so bored with this.
Can we have Titanic Week again? [Www]
[/quote]

I'm surprised at you.  I'd really have liked to have been able to vote.

If you're imposable in France, it just seems to me that one should be entitled to a say.

Having said that, the whole business has been distinctly low-key around here.  We had one flyer in our mailbox for Hollande and someone trying to hand out Melenchon ones at the market on Friday.  Apart from that, sfa.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="Clair"]I'm so, so bored with this.
Can we have Titanic Week again? [Www]
[/quote][:D]

Worry not, Clair.  I'm sure there are loads of marketing bods beavering away on the next big story.

80 years of Le Mans, anybody?[:P]

[/quote]

I'm halfway through the TV series OZ, only another 28 hours left to watch and very good it is too.

"If you're imposable in France, it just seems to me that one should be entitled to a say."

No taxation without representation?

Unfortunately I don't even get a vote in the UK, although I am obliged to pay taxes there, so I am not surprised I can't vote in France.

On the other hand I could remedy that by taking French nationality. I can only vote again in the UK by going to live there again.

This is not the case for several other nationalities in Europe (The French among them) who keep a life-long right to vote in National Elections even if they move abroad.

You can actually watch the results as they are added up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2012/apr/22/french-elections-20121

Looking closer at the mo'.

Yes, Q, Oz is great.  Eadie Falco pre Sopranos and the excellent Nurse Jackie.[:)]  Plus the wonderful JK Simmons.  Fantastic stuff.   But not quite as important as politics (nearly, but not quite.)  Discuss.

[quote user="Gardian"]I'm surprised at you.  I'd really have liked to have been able to vote.

If you're imposable in France, it just seems to me that one should be entitled to a say.[/quote]

I did vote.

I am bored with the speculation.

I think everyone knew it was going to be Sarko vs Hollande, and as far as I am concerned, they're as undesirable as each other.

Care to take a guess what colour my vote's going to be next Sunday...? [Www]

So, everything's still up for grabs then?

A whole fortnight now to wait and I do hope they'll have a bigger turnout than today.  Perhaps the weather will be better and that will surely persuade the "reluctants" to make an effort?

[quote user="NormanH"]If you vote next Sunday you might find yourself rather alone...[/quote]

See how bothered I am about this?[:D][:P]

I can't even bring myself to getting annoyed or excited...

Edit: Libé have an interactive map and you can zoom to your commune to find out how your commune voted.