dumped

idun

[quote user="Cendrillon"][quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="gardengirl "]There's bound to be a lot of interest in her visit to India - who knows what she'll give away!

[/quote]

I hope they don't take loads of photos of her looking wistful in front of the Taj Mahal.....it's been done before.

[/quote]

Ha ha! [:D]

Is there a French equivalent word for "dumped" ?

[/quote]

I would offer larguée   from the verb larguer to cast off..

Even though he has done the same thing to France as he has to his new girlfriend why should he resign because he has lost the confidence of some of the electorate. The majority of the electorate voted for him which gave him a mandate to be in office for his term.

Most of the views here reflect an Anglo-American attitude to which I am not totally immune.

This article shows that the French have traditionally been less concerned

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/14/french-more-accepting-of-infidelity-than-people-in-other-countries/

I was talking to a Notaire on Friday who felt that what was inexcusable was the indiscretion, not the morality.

[quote user="NormanH"]Most of the views here reflect an Anglo-American attitude to which I am not totally immune.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/14/french-more-accepting-of-infidelity-than-people-in-other-countries/

I was talking to a Notaire on Friday who felt that what was inexcusable was the indiscretion, not the morality.
[/quote]

I think you need to look at the source of the data (bottom of page there is a link) Norman as only 12% said it was acceptable. You also need to look at when the data was first published (spring 2013).

This study was undertaken for something quite different and not about Hollande having an affair. Perhaps if you asked the question in direct relationship to Hollande the answer could be quite different. I also think, with regards to politicians and what they do in their private life attitudes have changed in France after the DSK scandal particularly amongst the women folk.

[quote user="NormanH"]Most of the views here reflect an Anglo-American attitude to which I am not totally immune.

[/quote]

I think the majority of people probably agree with the notaire. It's the 21st century. I don't think many people of whatever nationality are particularly shocked by someone having an affair anymore. Whether they choose to "accept" it or not is rather more a personal issue.

When a head of state - of whatever country - makes a complete laughing stock of him (or her)self, or shows himself to be thinking with entirely the wrong head, it's probably just as much the view of people from other countries that's important. The entire French nation could be completely relaxed about Hollande's behaviour (although I doubt they are, from what I've seen and read) but, if France wants to be taken seriously on the international stage, it would benefit from having a leader who isn't a bit of a laughing stock.

[/quote]

My sister who lives permanently in Paris told me that among many of her associates, Hollande is quite admired rather than condemned for his shenanigans.

And a colleague has expressed the view that that the whole episode is a smokescreen for his introducing further unpopular ways of raising money (ie taxation), a bit like Blair used to do, remember?

Norman, the French tolerance towards infidelity is a well used cliché in the English-speaking press, all the more to engage readers in yet another discussion on morals and whatnots, but... I have had this discussion with several French women (note: women) and they all more or less agree that a person who lacks morality in his/her private is also likely to lack morality in his/her public life.

One asked "If he can lie and sneak around like this in private, when nobody is supposed to know about it, how can we trust he's not doing the same in his job?"

I was somewhat relieved to find they were in agreement about this, after the discussions I'd had on this forum about DSK... As I have said before (about DSK at the time), you cannot dissociate his private behaviour from his public one.

If he lies and cheats in his private life, he is not a lying, cheating man just in private. He is a lying, cheating man, full stop.

There's an element of voyeurism attached to this soap, but for me it just helps solidify these politicians will do whatever they feel they can get away with as long as they're not found out... and then they'll cry foul...[:@]

Clair, irrespective of whether male or female think an affair will be a private one and those involved will do everything to keep it under wraps. It is only when one of those in the affair wants the other person to leave their public partner and live with them that they leak the info in the hope that the partner will kick them out.

Oh shag (I know that works OK!!!)

Had to read that one 3 or 4 times to get the drift.

Did I ever tell you that I've seen copies of this mag in the coiffeure that Mrs G frequents? A right rag it is too. Something costing just 1.50 can't be too savoury!

Thinking about those in power and affiars:

US

The great Roman Catholic JFK who it would seem 'Q'd' quite a few women whilst in power and is still held in high esteem by many especially the media.

Bill Clinton who 'did not have sexual relations with that woman' who obviously has a different dictionary to Quillan and is now seen as a respected elder statesman.

UK

Many stories about Harold Wilson

Then there is John Major Who the Press liked to describe as a grey man who liked peas. Wonder what it would have done to his popularity and street cred if it had come out whilst he was in power that he was Qing Edwina Currie

As for Hollande and running France - are his actions much different to what was stated in his election manifesto?

Thank Bobo that his election slogan was not "I am the man on the job". Trouble is, he seems to do both badly.

So, what now: will he exchange the scooter for a Mini, will he send a minicab for her when he is free, will he just walk down the road for a quick one between cabinet meetings, will he mate during cabinet meetings, will he invite the press to watch, will he invite Mrs. Trottweiler to watch, will he 'Q' them both on a Louis XV oval table, will the 'Q' Q on an IKEA table in the servants' quarters, will he turn to Norman for help?

[quote user="Quillan"]I was wondering about when Mrs. Trottweiler returns from India. Will she find some black sacks outside the door of the palace and the locks changed?[/quote]

I was under the impression from French press reports that she had already moved out ...

[quote user="woolybanana"]Apparently, she wants compensation, but for what?[/quote]

Well, some are equating the manner of the announcement with being sacked.

http://www.midilibre.fr/2014/01/27/hollande-trierweiler-le-communique-de-rupture-vivement-critique,813829.php

He can't get ANYTHING right: the timing, the initial response, the perceived failure to make his mind up, the behind-the-scenes briefings and now even the words used in the final announcement.

And he's opening the door to the return of Sarko:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2014/01/26/l-ump-affiche-son-unite-malgre-un-sarkozy-absent-mais-omnipresent-dans-les-tetes,813587.php

[quote user="Clair"]I have no love for either of them but what a despicable way for him to behave... [:@]

He installs his de-facto wife in an official residence, puts her in an unofficial public post, all of which more or less forces her to curtail her professional commitments so they do not clash with his position, making her financially dependent on his whims, all the while carrying on with a two-bit actress, until he is exposed by a gossip rag and forced to choose... and all because he doesn't have the gumption to end one relationship before starting another...

Yuk.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

BBC website asked for comments. Ours was

"both these women must be blind and deaf, as well as being dumb"