La Poste

Lehaut

A "chuck up" for a change :) We are downsizing and have been selling stuff on leboincoin etc. This has involved sending off parcels. Have done and paid for the labels on line and dropped the packets off at our café bar, which is a relais. He is shut at the moment so we used the new (well to us) service of leaving them in the post box at our gate and Max, le facteur, collects it, leaves a receipt and the following day we get an email confirming its in the system. Quick and convenient and avoids going out in this icy weather.

[quote user="Hereford"]Interesting. Is there some way to show Max that there is something in the box or does he have to check every day? Perhaps you "tell" them online when you print the label?

[/quote]

Of course there's something in the box Hereford. He wouldn't send empty boxes would he [6]

That's very interesting Lehaut. Any chance of some more detail on how the system works please?

Sorry H, I just couldn't resist that one [blink]

Talking about Post Boxes............

In the USA a blonde lady purchased a new computer.

Thereafter, her concerned neighbour saw, each day, she repeatedly went to her post box, opened it; closed it again and returned to her house with a very puzzled look on her face.......

After a week, he asked her "Do you have a problem with your mail?"

"Oh no, thank you so kindly!" she replied; "Just that I have a new computer and it keeps telling me I have messages!"

[:D]

For the serious comments, We have an account with Colissimo and pay for the labels on line with a CA bank card. Standard and Insured (R1 etc) are available.

You are responsible for getting the weight and hence the tariff right. If its wrong, the central office rejects it, you have to go and collect it.

The "system" then tells Max (or any other postman) that there is something to collect in our particular box. He does not have to check everyday, and yes there was something in each of the two boxes. We were very suprised it worked so well.

I really wish I had thought of the Max Facteur joke.

On a more humorous note and I have not made this up. Our commune bought its own dust cart and did a reportage on it in the community magazine. The professional title for the man who rides on the tailgate of the lorry and picks up the bags and throws them in is a "ripeur". The article in the magazine had a picture of him and, you have guessed right, his name is Jacques. The mystery is now solved, Jacques le Ripeur is alive and well and living in La Manche!!

Even worse..........

An IT network security manager carried out a password audit,

as he was concerned many staff were still using simple and easy to guess

passwords.

To his utter amazement, he discovered one operator was using

the longest password he had ever seen in 25 years!

So he went to chat to the staff member, who turned out to be

a dizzy 22 year old blonde lass; when he quizzed her on how and why she adopted

her password, which was:-

"MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofyLondon”.

She replied.

Hello! We were told it had to be at least eight characters

and one capital!"

"Hello!”

[quote user="Gluestick"]Talking about Post Boxes............

In the USA a blonde lady purchased a new computer.

Thereafter, her concerned neighbour saw, each day, she repeatedly went to her post box, opened it; closed it again and returned to her house with a very puzzled look on her face.......

After a week, he asked her "Do you have a problem with your mail?"

"Oh no, thank you so kindly!" she replied; "Just that I have a new computer and it keeps telling me I have messages!"

[:D]
[/quote]Don't think I have heard that one for about 20 years. Thanks for reminding me of it.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]So you too remember the days of teroidal core storage too Rabbie[:-))]

2kb was a load of storage to work with and well enough for most normal jobs [geek]

[/quote]

Only too well, Jonz.............

I still sometimes have nightmares about the System 360 IBM mainframe, from when I worked, for a time for Ford Europe; all data input was by punchcards.

And I even had to learn to use one!

Programs were carried on huge reel-to-reel magnetic tape spools: which broke, frequently.

Keyboard input? VDUs? A dim distant promise.

And print out was produced on fanfold A3 "Opera" paper which had to be "De-Burst", before you could read it or file it.

Still both Systems Analysts and programers had to be very economical and precise with coding in FORTRAN and COBOL et al.

Unlike today's bloatware.........

Fortran? Cobol? High level languages init [geek]

I was thinking Assembler [8-|]

My name, Jonzjob, comes from the JCLs I had to write and punch out when I was on my 3 month IBM basic course and could even add/subtract in hex [:-))] Knew a load of the hex caracters as well !!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]So you too remember the days of teroidal core storage too Rabbie[:-))]

2kb was a load of storage to work with and well enough for most normal jobs [geek]
[/quote]Oh Yes. All my early code was written in Assembler to make the optimum use of space.  Bloat was not encouraged