Parlez-vous

Was it Boris on the Brexit campaign who said that if the brexit happened that anyone moving to the UK would have to prove that they spoke good english.

I have seen a couple of debates where this was mentioned and the fact that british people who have moved to other EU countries would they then be expected to learn ............. french............. spannish..........etc,  before being granted the right to stay?

With regards to expats, some people in these debates seemed to think that that would be unreasonable, others that it was reasonable, for people to learn the language spoken in the country they have moved to.

I shall never understand anyone moving to live in another country and not learning the language, so in or out, I'm with Boris on this one. Just a pity when he was Mayor of London that he couldn't make sure that all the bus drivers could speak english!

I have no idea how this vote will go. From what I can gather, many people of my age and older, are for the out vote and younger folks are for staying in.

While I have never disagreed with you that people coming to France to live should (no must) make the effort to learn the language, to make a command of the language a pre-condition of moving to a country is frankly the sort of simplistic and jingoistic b@lls I would expect from Farage, Johnson and the Brexiteer ilk.

By your own previous admissions such a rule would have prevented you from coming to France. I might just have made it to Germany but the OH would have been excluded. We (OH and I) might both now be excluded from living in France - although I read French tolerably well, I speak it like the proverbial Spanish cow and your title is very clearly about speaking.

The language requirements already exist in France for non EU immigrants and I would assume that if we were no longer EU citizens then the same would apply to British immigrants in France. They are that to get your titre de sejour you must have a basic level of French (A1) and be attending classes, and for citizenship you need to have a minimum of B1 at the oral level.

and for the first time I visited a Districentre a few weeks ago and was amazed at the amount of 'stuff' ie bins, cushions, coconut mats, nick-nacks etc etc etc that had the Union flag on them. It was like wandering along Carnaby St in the 70s although better quality then I think. That said there is quite a lot of it in Hyper U as well.

Mrs KG

LOL Andy, it would not have made one iota of differenced to us..... even by my admissions.

I would hazard a guess that our situation could never come within the usual range of things and anyone in 'our' situation would automatically be allowed in.

There has been a language requirement -about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe - in the UK for some time. Anyone coming to work in the UK or seeking indefinite leave to remain, if they needed a visa in the first place, would need evidence of language competency. It's the same for Australia, Canada and the USA among others.

As for EU member states, and as I've said before, there were free English lessons, and now they're subsidised, and my experience is that they're usually very well subscribed.

Quite honestly, if even a fraction of the British people living, working or even travelling abroad, put as much effort into learning foreign languages as foreigners do into learning English, we might just have a leg to stand on in this sort of debate.

I get by and manage everything I need to in day to day life but I've no idea whether a formal test would bear that out. I've done online tests and come up as B2 but that's with written French and I know my spoken vocabulary isn't as wide as my comprehension of written French. One of these days I'll figure out where to do a test so I can find out, just in case.

I'm presently more worried that there will end up being some sort of minimum income requirement for us to stay here that is much higher than it is now (RSA level for family composition), because of the UK apparently specifying something like thirty five thousand pounds per annum. If France do the same and convert that into euros, I've had it.