Macron / Le Pen

idun

Given the similarities between MLP and Melenchon policies (main difference was immigration and free movement) do not be surprised if some of his supporters move violently to the right. This will be especially true for the Eurosceptics.

I still don't see her winning but I think she will clear 40%.

Good point andyh4....I can see that too.

And there are people who did not vote who may vote in the second round !!! Who will they vote for ? Then there are people who did vote who may not vote again. Fillon voters may go towards MLP.

It is all hotting up.

This could be the unofficial Frexit vote !!!

And there are those who whining on about the Brexit vote. "I am embarrassed about being British yap yap yap...so I happy to live in France and want French citizenship yap yap yap". "I want to move to France because everyone is racist in the UK yap yap yap"

It is the same debate here in France. A divided Europe.

Looking at my own department, Le Pen came top with 34%odd, then Melenchon with 19%odd and third Macron with 18%odd.

Slightly surprising at one level as Macron is from the region, but MLP and her cronies have been working very hard in the very disillusioned areas to garner votes.

My village went for Macron (25%) followed by Le Pen (24%).

The region (Hauts de France) gave MLP over 30%

I don't think I shall ever understand French political thinking.

In my little village, MLP 26.97%, Mélencon 25.84% with Macron a very poor third.  Last time around, Mélenchon was first and MLP a bit down.  Talking le premier tour, of course.

Strange thing is, in the village of about the same small size and only 5 km away; it was Mélenchon 25.62% Macron 23.77% and MLP way down in fourth place!

My one consolation is this:  that although MLP seemed way in front, it was only THREE votes more!  Also, my neighbour was away in Bordeaux, looking after her grandchildren.  Had she been here to vote, MLP's figure would only be TWO votes more than Mélenchon's[:D]

So, regardless of ALBF's thoughts, a vote in rural France is many times more important than a vote in Paris.  A vote could swing the results for a whole commune whereas a vote in Paris would be just that, one of many......ha! ha!

Another friend of mine said he voted for Mélenchon yesterday and I couldn't help thinking, but why, as Mélenchon was not going to win and therefore a vote for him was a "wasted" vote.

Strange old world we live in..........

In my old village the figures were pretty much like the national averages, only with Fillon getting a little more than Melenchon.

I am glad that Fillon ended up neck and neck with Melenchon, tant mieux pour lui!

And I still do not know what will happen in the next election. It was pretty obvious that Chirac would beat Le Pen the last time this happened, but it is now a funny old world.

Now I keep saying I am useless at grammar, or is that grammer, as I cannot spell either......... but En Marche! seems a bit of an odd phrase to me. Does it sound 'right' to anyone else, or haven't you thought about it.

Yes, id, I have thought about it a lot.

Most English speaking commentators translate that as "forward" but for me, it has shades of "working" as in if something is functioning or not and also "walking" because after all, I am a keen walker and his followers are called les marcheurs[:)]

Yes Chancer...Calais. MLP 37 %

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/elections/resultats/pas-de-calais_62/calais_62100

Would you believe that after all that they have been through ???

and look at the Lot et Garonne....... which is a top destination for 'British' immigrants

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/elections/resultats/lot-et-garonne_47/

LOL

Calais itself of the departement Pas de Calais?

If the former then I am really surprised she didnt get 80% +, if I lived there or Dunkerque I would vote for her myself [:D]

A bit like Nigel said "I'm the turkey that voted for Xmas" [:P]

LOL

My best friend Leven who I think is a bit opposed to the whole Brexit thing and has been a bit vocal in that respect might be feeling a bit down tonight.

Well (please keep this quiet) MLP came out on top in his little bit of France. In fact over 60 % of his neighbours voted anti EU candidates.

Please don't tell him. LOL.

Just checked our area of Suburban Paris and MLP got 955 votes out of the 15,000 that voted.

albf, Hitler had lots of supporters as well. There are plenty of French who would like France for the French. Too many Africans coming in via Italy. Loads of second and third generation Algerian and Moroccans who will never work. I m not racist LOL

[quote user="Chancer"]

Can anyone trump ([;-)]) my commune with 33% for ML-P?

Norman perhaps but maybe for Melenchon.

[/quote]

No with Ménard for Maire we are well up with you, although the % is a little less I suspect that the numbers voting FN are even more here:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2017/04/24/presidentielle-a-beziers-le-pen-evidemment-melenchon-plus-surprenant,1497180.php

31,23 % for MLP and 19,11 % for the even further right Fillon makes over 50% for  the rabids..

He is right !

This vote is nothing (the same with Brexit) to do with immigration or xenophbia.

It is a vote between those living in poor communities being left behind or forgotten and not being represented by the political elites. Macrons voters all live in prosperous areas with high salaries and good job prospects. They are not going to vote for MLP of course.

I see Macron celebrated at an expensive restaurant in Paris and MLP went straight back on the streets talking to people. That will not go down to well for those who did not vote MLP in rural areas.

He could lose this vote. Unlikely, but he could.

If he does win but does not improve the economic fortunes of France within his term, MLP will win next time. The trouble is, I can't see how he can do this in rural areas.