Heatwave

A heatwave is predicted next week. Remember that the problem isn't just the heat in the daytime, but the fact that it never gets cool enough overnight for the body to recuperate.
Down here we open shutters/windows etc at night to let the cool air in and close them tight during the day....

«La température la plus élevée et la plus fiable enregistrée à cette

période est de 41,5 °C le 21 juin 2003 à Lézignan-Corbières dans l’Aude,

explique Étienne Kapikian, prévisionniste à Météo-France sur le site

Weather Underground.  Je pense que nous pourrions atteindre au moins

43 °C voire 44 °C ou 45 °C avec cette prochaine vague de chaleur.»[:-))]

Norman wrote : Down here we open shutters/windows etc at night to let the cool air in and close them tight during the day....

Hereabouts when it is as hot as is predicted for this coming w/e then the air doesn't cool till about 5 or so in the morning .. then the sun rises and off we go again ..

Having just come back from a time in cooler Finistère I think that, if climate warming continues apace, I might need to think of moving from southern Morbihan to a location a tad more to the north.

My son phoned today and said that the canicule was expected to be as bad as 2003. The very thought still makes me feel sick and ill.

I remember sitting in the dark, shutters shut, double glazed windows shut, as if we left them open the heat would seep in even more. The fans were on and one small light as  I swear I could feel the heat from the light bulb. Outside a nightmare and we lived next to a small river, which usually afforded a breeze, but no, nothing, just horrible horrible heat.

You can keep any hot weather, I have sun damaged skin on my face and hands, and that from someone who never 'sun bathed', just going about my everyday things and being in the car, either passenger or driver with the window down.

Loved my alpine other seasons though especially winters.

But, gimme Iceland any day and that is about the only place I really really want to visit on the entire planet.

In 2003 we called someone in to give us an estimate for air conditioning. It seemed very expensive and at the time we had no idea how long the canicule would last. We had almost decided against it when my dearly beloved (we have four kids between us) divided it by four and pointed out that it was not that much less for them to inherit and that they'd probably waste it anyway so we went ahead.

It turned out to be some of the best money we ever spent.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Norman, are you taking the recommended precautions like letting fans blow over bowls of ice, opening and closing windows and shutters as best, letting your harem of North African ladies fan you, going commando?[/quote]

I hope he just turns on the aircon as we do[:D]

(Or has one of his NAL's do so)

We are on the third leg of our Sardinia, Sicily, Italy trip on our motorbike. It hit 39°C on the motorway coming up to Florence, 41°C predicted for today. We wear full gear and the only way I can survive is to freeze water and put it in my jacket. Worked really well until it stared to melt. The icey water began to pool where I am siting. A non too pleasant sensation to begin with.

[quote user="Lehaut"]We are on the third leg of our Sardinia, Sicily, Italy trip on our motorbike. It hit 39°C on the motorway coming up to Florence, 41°C predicted for today. We wear full gear and the only way I can survive is to freeze water and put it in my jacket. Worked really well until it stared to melt. The icey water began to pool where I am siting. A non too pleasant sensation to begin with.[/quote]

You could try those blue coloured freezer packs[:)]

When in Iran I used to ride wearing only a loose shirt and slacks. Nice and cool, but not so good if you make a high-side onto gravel. I lived though.

[quote user="NormanH"][img]https://i.imgur.com/A7ZMr73.jpg[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/A7ZMr73.jpg[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/A7ZMr73.jpg[/img][/quote]

We're in the orange bit a little west of your red bit (only by 60 clicks or so, tho'), and saw only 32º on the thermometer in the shady part of the garden today.

Still 24º or less inside though[:)]

Our place is in the Gard. We have normally left by now for the summer (haven’t been since March due to medical problems this year) but British neighbours have been sending copious emails about the horrendous heat there just now. They will be extremely pleased when Saturday arrives, as they will be returning to the UK then.

The highest temperature reached would normally be in August, but ‘only’ reaching 40C during some years - we receive emails and photos of town thermometers from friends in years that 40C is reached.

Stay cool anyone in

84 - Vaucluse

34 - Hérault

13 - Bouches-du-Rhône

30 - Gard

Almost unbelievable to us .. but at 11pm it was still 30° outside .. I don't think we've ever experienced it that hot so late in the day in the 7 years we've been in this house .. the sea breeze seems to be singularly lacking at present.