My itchy feet!

cooperlola

I am getting my usual bout of itchy feet and after a year which was rendered a bit difficult because I did not regain my driving license until  the autumn, I have decided to have a couple of weeks away in March (before the motor racing gets under way).

I accepted a long standing invitation to stay for a few days with an old friend in the Gironde.  Having said that, where would the rest of you go if you had the chance, given that I'm heading in that direction from the Sarthe?  In other words, which towns are worth visiting?  Which sights worth seeing?  I love open (the wilder and more rugged the better) countryside,  old buildings and beautiful architecture but places must be accessible (ie, no climbing and scrambling about possible!) 

If you were setting out on a similar "Tour", where would you go and why?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coops I suspect my suggestions is too far off your track but if you wander into 24 from the Gironde, one of my most favourite places is Beynac... I love sitting beside the River (Dordogne), I love the view from the top of Beynac and I love wandering around the Chateau.  You can park at the bottom and you can also drive up and park at the top... and you can eat or get coffee at either place... you can even get a boat for a little mini cruise - it's just a lovely place to visit.  [:$]

[quote user="NormanH"]I'm not quite clear if you mean en route or at your destination.
[/quote]Sorry, yes the former.  I'm heading for the Gironde from the Sarthe but diversions of 200ks or so are not out of the question.  I love Tours so would probably enjoy the other two which I have never visited.

That having been said I will explore once there so your suggestion sounds great, Rose.

Coops, depending on how far into Gironde you are going, you could check out the whole of Médoc - all the way to Le Verdon Pointe de Graves (the bit that sticks out with Royan on the other side of the estuary). First you have the route des vins with all the chateaux, lots of lovely buildings, all along the Garonne estuary, then you can go back down the other way and look at the seaside resort like Soulac-sur-Mer and Montalivet. The whole triangle is a very interesting region, very "France profonde" (some French people compare it to Corsica!) - and of course completely flat. It is an area I know well as I have family there.

In any case, delighted to hear about your projected trip - that is great news.

I have hesitated to join in because I am not sure you will be in the estuary bit or the inland bit.  If the estuary, I quite like spending a morning at Blaye, to enjoy the old citadel and the ruins are just so immense you wonder how they built it.  Also lots of nice restos for lunch and I like to take a picnic if I am with the dog.

If you go to the bit near Dordogne, Gemonimo, who lives there might see your thread and come on here and tell you about places near her. 

As I say, I have a fortnight, and a day spent driving around is a pleasure, not a pennance (I can't walk far so it has to be a car tour anyway.)  However, I'm sure my friend will want to show me the sights near her home, thus I'm really trying to figure out how to get some exploring in on my way down and on my way back.

For instance, I've always thought the Lot looked spectacular, but know nothing at all about, say, the Creuse and the Correze, all of which look do-able on my mini-tour.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I have hesitated to join in because I am not sure you will be in the estuary bit or the inland bit.  If the estuary, I quite like spending a morning at Blaye, to enjoy the old citadel and the ruins are just so immense you wonder how they built it.  Also lots of nice restos for lunch and I like to take a picnic if I am with the dog.

If you go to the bit near Dordogne, Gemonimo, who lives there might see your thread and come on here and tell you about places near her. 

[/quote]

Well St. Emilion is always worth a visit but it's not flat!  As Sweets says, Blaye is worth a visit and you can take the bac across the estuary into the Medoc (although I don't know if it runs all year round).  A delightful escapade. Your friend is bound to show you around Bordeaux and if you haven't visited before, you will be enchanted.  A lot of work has been done to make it really a most wonderfully attractive city.  Enjoy your holiday, Coops! 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I have hesitated to join in because I am not sure you will be in the estuary bit or the inland bit.  [/quote]If you went from Bordeaux to Bergerac, it's about two thirds of the way.

I shall be nipping to Arcachon as I spent a fortnight near there when I was six, and also looking at Angouleme because of its connections with motor racing.  This might give you an idea of the distances I am happy to cover in the car.  I don't like flat much but needs must!  If I can park handily and hobble/wheel myself  round with the camera a bit then I'm quite content - I just can't scramble along rough tracks any more.[:(]

You're not wrong about the Lot Coops and if you did feel like venturing as far East as my neck of the woods you'd be more than welcome to call in and maybe even stay a night or two if you liked. I can certainly point you to some super drives and two of Frances most famous Bastide villages, Rocamadour and Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, are within easy striking distance.

I know exactly what you mean about driving long distances, I sometimes jump in my MGB and just take off for hours with no idea whatsoever where I might end up.

When exactly in March are you planning your trip ?

[quote user="Rose"]Coops I suspect my suggestions is too far off your track but if you wander into 24 from the Gironde, one of my most favourite places is Beynac... I love sitting beside the River (Dordogne), I love the view from the top of Beynac and I love wandering around the Chateau.  You can park at the bottom and you can also drive up and park at the top... and you can eat or get coffee at either place... you can even get a boat for a little mini cruise - it's just a lovely place to visit.  [:$]

[/quote]

Have to agree with that! I have some great aerial photos of Beynac too.

Ah, now you're all getting me in the mood!

I have yet to decide when in March but probably towards the end as I am in the UK in mid-Feb and the ACO have resurected practice weekend which will fall in April, thus I need to fit it in between the two.

I must say it would be lovely to meet some of the LF members - the only current contributors whom I have met are Loirette (if I owned her car, ANO, I would never be at home!) and Weedon - however, the point of the thread was certainly not to beg for free board and lodgings!  However, recommendations of good places to stay and places to bung a camp bed will of course be gratefully received, as well as good nosh.

Norman, the more I have thought about this trip, the more your idea seems the best - ie to do a circular tour taking in some coastal areas and some inland stuff.  Although I am not much of a sea person, I do like rugged coastline - the problem is that so much of the best of it is hard to access, but I'll give anything a go.  I'm collecting all the ideas and will think harder about a route in the New Year, once I've decided on the overnight stops and general direction my tour will take.

Keep them coming guys and gals.[:)]