My itchy feet!

cooperlola

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="cooperlola"]however, the point of the thread was certainly not to beg for free board and lodgings![/quote]

I'm equally certain that nobody is or has taken it that way Coops and my invitation stands if you thought it could enhace your adventure. Hey, you can sleep in the garage or the caravan if you felt like it [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Sent you a PM, Coops.  BTW, have you had your new car souped up?  Do people still adapt their cars like in the good old days?[/quote]I have still not got any compensation so I'm driving my boggo Note - no adaptation needed happily, just a lot of bureaucracy, medical exams and driving assessments.  The Porsche is on hold until the lorry driver pays up![:D]

Oh Bob, that brought tears to my eyes. It's a funny thing, when I'm in England I'm homesick for France and when I'm in France I'm homesick for England. Just never satisified.

Maybe some of us could have a get together at Beynac, although I prefer Marqueyssac and it might be more convenient for Coops.

Hoddy

Picture was taken by my wife from the back of our microlight. Quite an old picture and not very clear. She now has a new camera and takes air photos of all the villages and towns around here, the latest pictures are miles better.

Anyone in this area might go to the Bar in Plazac (24580) this month and see an exhibition of her air photos there till 23rd of this month.

The pictures have been printed out at 35 by 40 cms, but are for enjoyment and are not for sale.

Smashing Bob.  I have twice had heli rides in my life (well, apart from the one from the crash to the hospital[:-))]) and just spent the entire time taking pics - the perspective is unique to aerial photography and irresistable.  I think I like maps for the same reason.  I do envy you your Microlight as a result (pity it has gone from your Avatar.)

Here you are coops, a picture of the machine.

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/bikesindordogne/BioniX%20wing/IMG_2098wbs.jpg[/IMG]

I am sure that many will notice that there are no registration letters on the wing in this picture, the wing was new and the letters were stuck on after that test flight!

If you feel like snaking around on the route down, then a couple of places I've stayed at and felt that there wasn't enough time to discover all, were Chinon., and Angles-sur-l'anglin , terrain a bit up and down from memory but do-able and definitely worth the drive. No ultralight pics I'm afraid but I did once see one sticking out the back of a 2cv, looked like the 2cv was being propelled by a giant fan![:)]

I love Chinon.  The other place is a new one on me so I'll add it to the list of possibles.  I have to content myself with parking in the nearest blue badge space these days and hobbling as far as I can but if I get a feel of some of these places that will be lovely and improve my knowleddge of France a bit.

Bob, I LOVE your machine.  Now forgive me if I'm saying the wrong thing but it's just like a motorbike with wings![:D]

And Mrs Bob T is a truly talented photographer.  I'm not saying this to curry favour but I am uniquely inept when it comes to anything remotely electronic so I am dead impressed.

Never been to Chinon, Britgirl.  Tell me, is Richelieu worth a look as well?  I've seen pictures of it and it intrigues me.

What I love about the coastal area west of Niort is the Marais Poitevin and Frenchie will be the girl to tell us all about that!  Allez, Frenchie, describe it STP!

But I guess, Coops, you will be driving down in-land through Tours, Angoulême, etc.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Bob, I LOVE your machine.  Now forgive me if I'm saying the wrong thing but it's just like a motorbike with wings![:D]

And Mrs Bob T is a truly talented photographer.  I'm not saying this to curry favour but I am uniquely inept when it comes to anything remotely electronic so I am dead impressed.[/quote]

I suppose that it is a bike with wings. Thing is that is is so much safer than a bike so we sold the bikes this year! I have taken so many terrified locals flying and all of them have come back (alive) with a smile on their faces and want to do it again. If you are ever over this way sweet 17............

The wife only really got into photography this last couple of years and is learning more and more, but that is what retirement is all about.

Richelieu is worth a visit, the huge front doors as you walk along the street are a sight and you can feel the history in the air.

Angles sur l'anglin although hilly has some of the earliest cave carvings and french meal times don't exist so you can eat anytime of the day.

Bob my neighbour has his own landing strip and lets the locals use it, very popular are the kites with a desk fan strapped to their backs

Rose I think we may be near neighbours [:)].  Bob - love the ariel photos but also loved the plane - I'm insanely jealous [:D].  Coops - I hope that whichever way the road takes you that you have a wonderful time - more important than the views are the lovely people you'll meet on the way.

Mrs R51

[quote user="sweet 17"] Never been to Chinon, Britgirl.  Tell me, is Richelieu worth a look as well?  I've seen pictures of it and it intrigues me. [/quote]

a few years ago now, but from memory, certainly worth a visit, not huge, village size but built like a town square, symmetrical, formal architecture, a sort of proper Poundsbury, didn't stay long, discovered it by chance on route from Chinon the previous day, had lunch there in the main square and moved on, I think there was a visitor/tourist centre which was closed for lunch!

Coops, where is the place in your picture?

When we were househunting, I loved a place on one of the dams on the Dordogne and the only reason I didn't go to view it was because it had no garden.  The house looked very good and the dam and lake looked out of this world.

What a fab time you are going to have, Coops!  And will you do a sort of recce for our Thelma and Louise act at a later date?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Coops, where is the place in your picture?

When we were househunting, I loved a place on one of the dams on the Dordogne and the only reason I didn't go to view it was because it had no garden.  The house looked very good and the dam and lake looked out of this world.

What a fab time you are going to have, Coops!  And will you do a sort of recce for our Thelma and Louise act at a later date?

[/quote]Niagra - I did say it was off topic!

Certainly I will note some good spots for our trip!  Here's one a little closer to home:

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/LM07Raceday303.jpg[/IMG]