The Itchy Feet Tour

cooperlola

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see those who made the lunch, especially Sweet who almost didn't[:P],

a song for Rose, our budding Alison Moyet, [:D]

and for Mark, (and Coops[Www]) the origin of the Ford GT40 History, http://www.lola heritage.co.uk/history/types/mk6/mk6.htm; Ford had wanted a Ford at Le Mans since the early 1960s. Ford understood that Ferrari was interested in selling but having spent several million dollars in an audit of Ferrari assets, Enzo cut the deal off out of spite and Henry Ford II, enraged, directed his racing division to find a company that could build a Ferrari-beater on the world endurance-racing circuit. The Lola proposal was chosen, since Lola had used a Ford V8 engine in their mid-engined Lola Mk 6 (also known as Lola GT). It was one of the most advanced racing cars of the time, and made a noted performance in Le Mans 1963.

[quote user="just john "]

Good to see those who made the lunch, especially Sweet who almost didn't[:P],

and for Mark, (and Coops[Www]) the origin of the Ford GT40 History, http://www.lola heritage.co.uk/history/types/mk6/mk6.htm; Ford had wanted a Ford at Le Mans since the early 1960s. Ford understood that Ferrari was interested in selling but having spent several million dollars in an audit of Ferrari assets, Enzo cut the deal off out of spite and Henry Ford II, enraged, directed his racing division to find a company that could build a Ferrari-beater on the world endurance-racing circuit. The Lola proposal was chosen, since Lola had used a Ford V8 engine in their mid-engined Lola Mk 6 (also known as Lola GT). It was one of the most advanced racing cars of the time, and made a noted performance in Le Mans 1963.

[/quote]

Aargh, I'm glad you two understand each other because, as sure as eggs is eggs, I don't understand a word![:D]

JJ, are you back in Blighty and Coops, are you back at the Home of 24 hour Car Racing (or whatever it's called)?

Just would be nice to know where everyone is, that's all.  Un petit dépaysement is all very well now and again but I am not good at being uprooted for long distances or for any length of time.

Edit:  sorry, Coops, I now know you are in the Lot cos I've just read your thread about lunch with the Icenis.  Give my best to Mr Iceni, will you?  He has made me laugh on lots of occasions.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Edit:  sorry, Coops, I now know you are in the Lot cos I've just read your thread about lunch with the Icenis.  Give my best to Mr Iceni, will you?  He has made me laugh on lots of occasions.

[/quote]

How sweet, sweets - I know just how wonderful I am but most of the time others refuse to see it.

John

Sweets, I am still with my friend (the whole thing was originally based around an invitation from her) and leave for the Lot and the Icenis in the morning.  After that I am foot loose and fancy free but still slightly tempted to head for Marseille and the race.  Otherwise I may go to Pau before heading home as my only real commitment is the ballet on Tuesday with Mr C.

Loved your latest pics, Coops.

Sweet, do you really want us to sign in with our whereabouts when we post?  I suppose it would imprint in my mind which country we're in without going outside![:D]

It's already a week today since we flew back here and a week tomorrow since we set out for Bergerac - wherever has the time gone? We arrived back here late Sunday evening, did the big shop and pulled ourselves together on Monday, then wandered in to town yesterday to be grabbed and given an invitation to our favourite cafe-restaurant's picnic on Sunday - nice to be back here too!  [:)]

Well, of course, GG, I need to know whether you and Mr G are sitting out in the sun on your balcony having a drink or two or dodging the rain in your garden back in the UK whilst you put the clothes out on the line!

Don't tell me, I was just doing the latter this morning when an unknown neighbour said "bonjour "and I was getting the clothes off the line as quickly as I could with the rain streaming down my glasses!  Don't know what's happened to the weather but I have now dug out the old long johns and thermal vest and put everything on so as not to catch my death of cold!

Anyway, wouldn't you rather know whether I am in Chateau 17, contemplating the sorry state of the moat or in 24 in this modest little bunaglaow type building just so that you know how to address me?[:P]

OK, you might not think to curtsey but, I mean, it's very difficult to know what to say to people when you can't PICTURE what they are doing!

If I thought you were sitting out in the sun and raising a glass, I might say, à la vôtres, but, if I thought you were huddling up to the gas fire in England, I might say, nasty weather, don't you think? 

[quote user="just john "]

[/quote]

Thanks JJ - I am at Riberac this Saturday after all... if I can ever do as well as Alison I'd be very happy [:$]

Glad the tour is still going well!  and who said about doing it again... sounds like a very good idea [Www]

xx

So glad you enjoyed your tour and that you are home safe and sound. . My disappointment at not being able to meet you and all the others is somewhat mollified by the photos - one of which was taken just a couple of miles from my house. Thank you.

Hoddy

What a grand adventure you've had, Coops!  Hope it's done your morale good as it was your main reason for doing it, wasn't it?

Hey, I've had an idea!  Why don't you make it an annual event but alter the route slightly each time, a bit like the Tour de France, and we can all lobby you to pass through our village?  LOL

Lovely pics yet again! I also hope you got lots from your tour - we certainly did at the Bergerac lunch!

We'll certainly try to join in if it's held again - and if it were to include anywhere round here, we'd be delighted! Can't see us pulling off a super meal like that in our area at such an amazing price though!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

a bit like the Tour de France, and we can all lobby you to pass through our village?  LOL

[/quote]

Fine, but we don't have to pay, do we?

Would there also be a 'Cooperlola Caravan' accompanied by heavily-sunglassed Gendarmerie on motorbikes?

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="sweet 17"]

a bit like the Tour de France, and we can all lobby you to pass through our village?  LOL

[/quote]

Fine, but we don't have to pay, do we?

Would there also be a 'Cooperlola Caravan' accompanied by heavily-sunglassed Gendarmerie on motorbikes?

[/quote]

The last time I watched the Tour; I got a lovely photo of a pretty lady on a motorbicycle; she assured me that she was a member oy the Presidential Guard; I was most impressed; hence the photo.

Sadly, no.  In the end it just seemed one step too far, especially as I had to be back here on Tuesday.  Thus I missed it which is a real shame but as you say, some start and a great result (I am already sporting my Oreca Sebring T-shirt  - could be a good year for France.[:)])

Will probably be at the circuit on Tuesday as the Tour Optic is passing through!

http://www.tourauto.com/fr/images/itineraireTAO2011.pdf

[quote user="cooperlola"] http://cars.about.com/od/bookreviews/fr/GoLikeHell.htm  (Incidentally, it's where the quote below from the late, great Ken Miles comes from.) [/quote]

I've just finished reading it thanks Coops, though his writing style is a bit like a film script for Steve McQueen, I also thought he rather glossed over the role of LolaMk6GT nonetheless a great read and thoroughly recommended for petrolheads, young Mark should get it for his birthday Rose[:D]

Note: The car is now to be sold as a star lot in the Bonhams sale at the Goodwood Festival of Speed on Friday July 12.