Mal de Mer

This is a serious question about something that is a seriious condition for me.  For reasons that are not important, I have to go to the UK this week by ferry insted of using the tunnel.  So what you say? Well, as much as I love the sea and boats, I am acutely seasick every time I get on a boat, no matter how calm it is.  It makes no difference the size of vessel, large or small, sail or steam, I will be sick.  In fact, the only craft I haven't thrown up on is a windsurfer as I haven't been able to stay on one long enough.  I'm going Dunkerque/Dover with Norfolk line.  I can just about stand it if I'm outside (I don't know if Norfolk Line ships have an outside area) but inside, where my eyes and ears are not in perfect agreement, I've had it. 

Does anyone have sugessions for helping this please?  I have tried (without success) the following:

Eating before voyage

Not eating before voyage

Eating during voyage

Drinking/not drinking water

Drinking alcohol (Ha! that was a laugh)

Eating ginger (why? it just tasted horrible on the way up)

'Sea-Bands' a sort of acupuncture that only served to cut circulation off at the wrist.

Lying down

Standing up

'Sea legs' These worked to an extent but left me soooo sleepy for 2 days after, and I have to drive

So, anything else? I'm really not looking forward to this.

Hi Pierre,

Now don't laugh at this but I have done a lot of sailing and suffered the odd bout of sea sickness. This worked for me and others that I have passed it on to.

Get two pieces of sticking plaster and stick one each on the bony lump that you will find right behind each ear. It's does something to your balance recepters (what, I don't know)

In addition it always helps if you can see the horizen (difficult on a night crossing), so wrap up warm and sit outside.

Hope this helps

Gary.

My father was a great sailor and I spent my teenage summers happily crewing on his boat - but I too get sea sick.

I tried every kind of pill and Kwells worked but dried the mouth. Then I found Stugeron which were great. However after a twenty year gap recently I took Stugeron on two occasions and it put me, both times, into a doze. So back to the Kwells which seem to work just the same. 

But with sea sickness what works for one person might not for another.

I can only speak of a certain ferry company, but the first thing we do is head for reception and ask for a sea-sickness tablet which they keep. They are brilliant. I don't know the name I'm afraid, but they are quite small and white, and you only need to take one. For us, don't have any side affects. Keeping an eye on the horizon works for my Dad!

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Get two pieces of sticking plaster and stick one each on the bony lump that you will find right behind each ear. It's does something to your balance recepters (what, I don't know)

[/quote]

That is interesting and I believe I know where it started. Several years ago there was some drug you could get that worked really well. It was "taken" through "patches". These were plaster coloured and applied (stuck) behind each ear. People often used to cut them in half to only get a "half dose". They were not readily available in the UK and most people using them were Americans.

There is a guaranteed cure for sea-sickness: "Sit under a tree".

Ian

The wrist bands that are sold on most ferries do the trick for my sister. They supposedly work on the pressure points.

My sister always eats and drinks something because she finds it too painful to be sick on an empty stomach . She tries to eat things that won't 'burn ' on the way back up [+o(]

Keep an eye on the horizon, yes, but better if you are looking *forward* at it, rather than sideways or - yeuchhhhhhhh - at the horizon *behind* the ship.

The ship's movement is less amidships.  Not sure how you can equate this with seeing the forward horizon.

Don't try reading anything!

My father always recommended strawberry jam for seasickness, because he said it tasted as good coming up as it did going down... [+o(]

Angela

I used to have the patches with the drug in them but the company built a new factory and I believe they had to do a lot of testing before they were allowed a new license. A pharmacist told me that the active ingredient is the same as in Kwells.

I find laying down and staying down a great help (always have a cabin, when available)

I don't know how old the OP is but my sea sickness gets less as the years go by.

Having been horribly sea sick for many years I was prescribed  the patches by my GP.  They changed everything, no more sickness, able to eat, walk around etc.  I would really recommend them.  I believe that you can get them over the counter now.

Good luck

Michelle

I get poorly even when the boat is docked . . .  I take a prescription (in the UK) drug that you stick under your upper lip so it is absorbed into the bloodstream directly rather than via the stomach. It works for me - prochlorperazine maleate buccal tablets. I believe they are mainly used by migraine sufferers. I do also hold with the ginger - flat ginger ale in my case!!!

Good Luck - it's not much fun!

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I am reluctant to take any pills due to possible side effects but I will investigate the Patch option when I get an opportunity.  I will try sticking plaster behind my ears and staying outside looking at the horizon.  I was tempted to get a bonsai tree to sit under but on balance, perhaps not [;-)] Only kidding! I'll let you know how I get on [+o(]

Once again, many thanks

As someone who has been in the same boat [:P] as it were, I have tried wrist bands, kwells et al. With no luck. However, when I last travelled on the Poole - Cherbourg catamaran, I asked in a French pharmacie for some pills for mal de mer. They asked if I wanted homeopathic or normal. So I went for homeopathic. Brilliant. Start them on the day before sailing, followed by the morning (or 3 hours) before sailing and then 2 more  once you are aboard. They are placed under the tongue and melt, lemon flavoured too. No problems and I had a 5 hour drive once back in the UK. Sadly I can't remember the name, but I guess any chemist , UK or France would be able to help.

Good Luck (and thank the Lord for the shuttle!).

roseysan 

Interesting to read all the possible solutions for mal de mer - my husband has suffered from it all his life.  It does not get better with age!  The only solution for him is to book a cabin, no matter how calm the sea, and lie down. 

He has tried all the things mentioned, except the sticking plaster, but I think he will stick to the lying down.  He has also, from time to time, been car sick driving the car and he is the only driver!  That is fun!  His symptoms are just as for migraine (with which this is connected).

good travelling

Julia

Just a quick update on my sea-faring adventures.  Got to Dunkerque in plenty of time - isn't it a wonderful harbour and marina with all those millionare's boats - NOT !  If you've never been there, you've missed nothing, what a dump.  Anyway, having not had time to check out the homeopathic option, which I will do later, I went for the plaster behind the ears.  Neptune must have been smiling on me as the channel was like a mirror, I kid you not, absolutely flat, not even a ripple.  I found a seat looking out at the horizon and for the first time ever I was OK all the way accross!!!  I even slept for a good part of the journey.  On the way back, same again, flat calm and also I was fine until I went out on deck and caught a whiff of the ships exhaust which gave me a moment of concern, I hate that diesel/fuel oil smell.  But, in the end it was fine so many thanks for all your fine suggestions.  It's nice to know I'm not alone !!

[quote user="ErnieY"]

There must be someone out there who has moved to France simply to avoid the ferry trips...............[blink]

[/quote]

Gives an another slant to saying you don't want to go back to England as the holiday is ending![:(]

Pierre, next time you see your Doctor it may be worth enquiring if Scopaderm is available again, or perhaps your pharmacist will be able to look it up.

My pharmacist told me quite firmly that it wasn't logical that it should work better than Kwells as its the same drug, but I preferred it.

Glad to hear you have had a good experience........