DEFRA ban on personal exports

Frederick

Now illegal to take out any Meat ..Meat Products ...Milk ...Milk and Dairy products  including sandwiches  packed lunches and food for self catering holidays even if frozen or tinned ......Thank you defra for putting me on a bacon free diet for the next few weeks ...I need to lose a pound ot two ....www.defra.gov.uk  for more information.

Most of the Ferry companies and Dover port have posted warnings.

The last time around they had bins at the French ports to collect banned items and random searches.

http://www.doverport.co.uk/traffic.asp?skey=21&ckey=371

even

http://www.speedferries.com/LatestTravelInfo.php

Defra'a notification of the ban is here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/fmd/public/index.htm#4

and the official flyer

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/fmd/pdf/fmd-flyer.pdf

They even include chocolate bars in the prohibition!!!

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

Defra'a notification of the ban is here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/fmd/public/index.htm#4

and the official flyer

[/quote]

Well thanks BJSLIV for making my blood boil [:)] and make me send off a strong email to DEFRA [:@].

An official UK site and they spell TRAVELLER as TRAVELER the US way!

Nothing against the US if they wish to spell it that way but a UK government site should get it right.

Paul

[quote user="Frederick"]

Now illegal to take out any Meat ..Meat Products ...Milk ...Milk and Dairy products  including sandwiches  packed lunches and food for self catering holidays even if frozen or tinned ......Thank you defra for putting me on a bacon free diet for the next few weeks ...I need to lose a pound ot two ....www.defra.gov.uk  for more information.

[/quote]

Well Frederick I think the outbreak has been handled very well. In 2001 the effect was extremely drastic and, with BSE, damaged the reputation of the UK.

This time the containment has been very rapid and the measures taken seem to have pleased fellow EC countries. Not having bacon for the next few weeks seems a very small price to pay to the other option of lax controls being taken leading to a rapid spread of foot and mouth and extremely strong measures being taken by other EC countries, not to mention the economic damage as well as the slaughter of many thousands of animals and the disposal problems that would have ensued.

Paul

I wonder how long it will last? I usually  take Davidstow Cheddar and Green & Blacks chocolate fror my French resident friend, I'm not sure how they could spread foot & mouth, esp as both products under go processes and were probably made long before the outbreak :(

No doubt a blanket ban is the easiest thing for the authorities....I'll just have to rack my briains for other gifts.

I'm due to visit France soon and will be arriving late on a Sunday. There will be few if any local restaurants open at that time and I will not be able to buy anything. The ferry only has limited sandwiches so I have no idea what we will do. I suppose I'll have to risk taking cooked chicken. Black Tea and coffee too.

I'm luck I don't have a long drive, I feel sorry for those who have.

I also take foodie gifts to French friends

Paul........living in the countryside as I do in Dorset  I agree  with you......it was just  my  bit of a jokey way I put the info on the forum  and  I can certainly live without bacon  this time .... I do wish the French could produce some good bacon to buy in 85 though  then I would not have to take a wholesalers vacuum packed load out with me as I usually do ...

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I wonder how long it will last? I usually  take Davidstow Cheddar and Green & Blacks chocolate fror my French resident friend, I'm not sure how they could spread foot & mouth, esp as both products under go processes and were probably made long before the outbreak :(

No doubt a blanket ban is the easiest thing for the authorities....I'll just have to rack my briains for other gifts.

[/quote]

Nice bit of product placement RH, or would you call it advertising

[quote user="Lope"]

I'm due to visit France soon and will be arriving late on a Sunday. There will be few if any local restaurants open at that time and I will not be able to buy anything. The ferry only has limited sandwiches so I have no idea what we will do. I suppose I'll have to risk taking cooked chicken. Black Tea and coffee too.

I'm luck I don't have a long drive, I feel sorry for those who have.

I also take foodie gifts to French friends[/quote]

I don't think the cooked meat will be allowed, but what about eggs instead?

I came through the tunnel yesterday.  No obvious notices or info' about the importation of dairy-based products and no questioning about them in spite of hefty security checks for explosives.  The only sign of any precautions against F&M was a disinfected mat through which cars had to be driven.