buying land lake and chalet

clown1

hi i have found a small lake with chalet i would like to buy but i cannot get to france for a few months , i have seen many pictures of the property and are happy to go ahead without visiting but the notaire is saying i have to visit is that true or can i complete all without actually going , it is no a massive amount of money so i dont really see a big risk the seller has accepted the my offer by email please help thanks

Increased anti money laundering legislation now makes it impossible to buy property without your identity being checked by a Notaire, which usually means meeting in person at least once, with passport, evidence of primary residential address and details as to source of funds.

I remember a few years ago an article in the Daily Telegraph about people working in the City ringing up Estate Agents in Nelson Lancashire on a Monday morning and buying over the phone any cheap properties that had been put on the market that weekend.

Prices at the time , as I recall , could be as low as £8000 for a derelict terraced property.

Just pure speculation.

Around here you could buy two of those and still have enough left to buy a modest house in the town for when you get fed up of fishing and want to have some heat, light and home comforts.

Not an exaggeration either, perhaps I should buy a few and resell them on E-bay!!

I wonder if the notaire has had many enquiries like this one wanting to buy sight unseen.

• 4 weeks later...