Meat Free Monday

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Âmi I'm the same with babies and our dog is the same with cats!

I think that if any human looks in their mouth they will find canine teeth. As far as I can recolect they are used for tearing meat!

So, why would nature have them there if they were redundant?[8-)]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

[quote user="oldgit72"] Hardly surprising given the indigenous population's desire to eat the red stuff and from the consencus here among ex-pats that eating meat is a good thing. .[/quote]

Please STOP dictating others what they should do.

No one here says " you should eat meat" so, carry on veggie and leave indigenous and expats eat what they like, right ?

Signed : An indigenous about to have steak " the French way" , red in the middle, and happy about it  !!

P]

[/quote]

No dictating from me. You eat what you want, it's your choice as is mine. Just pointing out the facts to those in denial.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Âmi I'm the same with babies and our dog is the same with cats!

I think that if any human looks in their mouth they will find canine teeth. As far as I can recolect they are used for tearing meat!

So, why would nature have them there if they were redundant?[8-)]

[/quote]

Human canine teeth are more akin to the canine teeth of omnivores rather than those of carnivorous animals. Also, human intestines are longer than those found in carnivores where it is imperative that the putrifying meat is expelled from the body quickly.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="oldgit72"][quote]Actually, none of it is nonsense. My opinions stem from hard, solid and historical evidence gleaned from considerable research. With respect, I suggest you read Ian Plimer's book "Heaven and Earth - Global warming: the missing science" The stark facts are there - anthropogenic global warming is a myth, and in fact the planet is about to enter a cooling phase, as it does (and always has) cyclically, for many combined reasons, none of which are anything to do with the contribution of humanity. I'm quite happy to debate this with anyone. Chris[/quote] Ok, lets assume for the sake of argument that your views on climate change are correct. What about the fact that eating meat and grazing is an inneficient use of land and water? that growing vegetables is a much more efficient use of land? What about the reduced risks of heart disease, cancer and diabetes from eating less meat? Together with the remote possibility[;-)] you might just be wrong about cimate change, are good enough reasons for me not to eat meat.[/quote]

Firstly the myth about vegetarians having reduced risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes is a load of old rubbish. They are no more less at risk than those that eat any well balanced diet that includes meat. Studies have shown that in reality vegetarians do not live as long as those eating well balanced diets including meat. A vegitairean diet has is relatively low in protein, saturated fat, long-chain n-3 fatty acids, retinol, vitamin B12 and Zn. Vegans may have particularly low intakes of vitamin B12 and low intakes of Ca. Cross sectional studies of vegetarians and vegans have shown that on average they have a relatively low BMI and a low plasma cholesterol concentration. Recent studies have also shown higher plasma homocysteine concentrations than in non-vegetarians. These deficiencies can be corrected by adding various 'supliments (chemicals)' to your diet which somehow defeats the object in my mind. There is a paper written by Timothy J. Key, Paul N. Appleby and Magdalena S. Rosell of the Cancer Research UK Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford on this subject which you might find interesting and backs what I have just said. I am sure there are many more papers written by others that can point in either direction. The real issue is freedom of choice and I respect that as I respect those that choose to become vegetarians but please don't ram it down the necks of those of us that enjoy and continue to eat meat. To my mind it places 'you' in the same container as Jehovah Witness's and alike i.e. not welcome at my table [;-)] .

As for climate change being 'man made' and the the statement that those who believe it isn't being possibly wrong how do you know that those that say it is 'man made' are right. For every scientist that says its 'man made' there is equally one that says it's not and many have been around for a long time and are equally as qualified. More bias is placed on those that say its 'man made' because of the whole global industry that has grown up around it earning billions upon billions of dollars/pounds/euros.

Edit.: Sorry about the font change, I don't know what happened and I can't change it.

[/quote]

You missed the point about inefficient use of land. In a world where it is becoming increasingly important to use land wisely, grazing cattle etc on land that could be used more productively is simply unsustainable. I'm afraid therefore that free as you are to continue eating meat, the cost of producing the stuff will eventually make the meat unaffordable to most. By all means continue to enjoy meat while you can but forgive me to quote your analogy, like a Jehovas witness having your door slammed in their face, being welcome at your table would not be something I would look forward to.

Sorry but what you are saying and what is actually happening do not add up. The world population growth rate is now half of that when it peaked in 1963 (2.2% growth per year) and is expected to go in to recession in 2050. Europe and America's slice of the current growth rate is quite small (5.3% and 4.1% respectively) with Africa and Asia accounting for the biggest increase (23.7% and 57.1%). Therefore after 2050 we won't have to turn over any more land for farming of any kind. The impact of land used to produce meet in both North America (in particular) and Europe is miniscule and not worth worrying about.

You would be better off giving up milk as you require on average 50 acres of land for one cow producing milk but only 36 acres to grow a beef cow due to length of lifespan. It can be argued that cows could save the planet from drowning (water table rise) because each requires 5214 gallons of water per year, 99.4% more than growing 50 acres of vegetables. It therefore follows that cows are good for the environment and killing them off and growing veg is actually detrimental. [:D] . Also growing veg etc is far more damaging to the earth chemically than cows eating grass. I am not just talking about the chemical fertalizers but what plants extract from the soil during their growing cycle. Of course another advantage of eating meat is that you live longer on average than a vegetarian as stated in my previous post.

Although there are loads of figures and reports out there both sides appear to cancel each others arguments out which is why, as I said before, its a personal choice and nothing more.

You would be more than welcome at our table providing you don't keep banging on about meat eaters, we have a very varied selection of vegetarian meals on offer and cater for all needs and we don't rub vegetarians noses in to the fact they don't eat meat. [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]

Sorry but what you are saying and what is actually happening do not add up. The world population growth rate is now half of that when it peaked in 1963 (2.2% growth per year) and is expected to go in to recession in 2050. Europe and America's slice of the current growth rate is quite small (5.3% and 4.1% respectively) with Africa and Asia accounting for the biggest increase (23.7% and 57.1%). Therefore after 2050 we won't have to turn over any more land for farming of any kind. The impact of land used to produce meet in both North America (in particular) and Europe is miniscule and not worth worrying about.

You would be better off giving up milk as you require on average 50 acres of land for one cow producing milk but only 36 acres to grow a beef cow due to length of lifespan. It can be argued that cows could save the planet from drowning (water table rise) because each requires 5214 gallons of water per year, 99.4% more than growing 50 acres of vegetables. It therefore follows that cows are good for the environment and killing them off and growing veg is actually detrimental. [:D] . Also growing veg etc is far more damaging to the earth chemically than cows eating grass. I am not just talking about the chemical fertalizers but what plants extract from the soil during their growing cycle. Of course another advantage of eating meat is that you live longer on average than a vegetarian as stated in my previous post.

Although there are loads of figures and reports out there both sides appear to cancel each others arguments out which is why, as I said before, its a personal choice and nothing more.

You would be more than welcome at our table providing you don't keep banging on about meat eaters, we have a very varied selection of vegetarian meals on offer and cater for all needs and we don't rub vegetarians noses in to the fact they don't eat meat. [;-)]

[/quote]

You seem to expend an awful lot of time researching why meat eating is justifiable. For my part, I rely on the balance of probability based upon the arguments for and against along with my preference to not eating other living creatures when it is not neccessary.

What irritates me [6] is that too often veggies seem to feel superior to meat eaters, they preach ; their goal being to make you feel guilty......................  And it doees not work..!!!!

Everybody now knows about your arguments, we have others, you know them well, so let us just respect  others , whatever their choices, and have humour !!

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/Foodchain.jpg[/IMG]

All of those things that you don't want to eat wold be killed and not eaten if the natural way was not observed and veggies rulled the world. The soil would be burnt out by chemical crap instead of the natural stuff and qwe would all starve to death. All because some won't do wot comes naturally? Thinks, I could write a song about that?

[quote user="oldgit72"] You seem to expend an awful lot of time researching why meat eating is justifiable. For my part, I rely on the balance of probability based upon the arguments for and against along with my preference to not eating other living creatures when it is not neccessary.[/quote]

Not really, a decent education coupled with some common sense and about 5 minutes with google. I often think that one can spot when another has little or no proof to back their statements when they can't answer back without having snid digs.

I think we should ban wine producing and turn the land over to growing food. I mean alcohol is far more dangerous than meat, wives being beaten up by drunken husband (or the other way round of course), people being killed by drunken drivers etc, etc. All that land taken up with vines. [;-)] [;-)] [B] .

I think that I can honestly say that there are 2 definate camps here! Quick off the mark or what?

As such the ones that don't eat meat and have to supliment what they are missing naturally will never agree with us Quillan and Frenchie and so I believe that we will have to remain on our naturally high ground and agree to differ with the not-so-natural diet people? [8-|]

Anyone for a tofu burger [+o(][+o(][+o(] It will taste OK if you put enough flavouring with it?[6]

Although  I am not much of a meat eater these days,  the husband  is a big carnivore. The Green Lobby is so powerful that many governments are now using green initiatives to raise more taxes - something that is becoming irritatingly common.

The earth's most serious problem is the population increase - almost exponential in the last few decades.  It always surprises me that few consider this increase and its consequences when talking about global warming etc.

tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

The earth's most serious problem is the population increase - almost exponential in the last few decades. 

tegwini

[/quote]

Unfortunately the traditional answer to this problem is...............a major war. (it stimulates industry too)

[quote user="powerdesal"]YEH, Omnivores rule OK [:P]........undercooked steak - yuk. Cook it properly.
[/quote]

What is properly ?? [:D]

To an English person it is " well done", to us " indigenous Frenchies" [;-)][:D], it is " saignant " or " à point"   Like me ! [:)]

Différence culturelle, Sir !!