Meat Free Monday

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="powerdesal"]Still off topic (but the last time) The sad thing is we now have to buy back our (her) ancestral lands rather than taking them back at sword point as was the traditional way. [:P]
[/quote]

Good show, last time her lot came to blighty for a booze cruise they had someones eye out [;-)]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Her ancestors were with 'William the Bastard' in 1066, which impressed our notaire no end.

[/quote]

We've (or should I say my parents!) have traced our ancestors back to the same period.  Helped greatly by Burke's Peerage...which I guess is cheating!

In France it is difficult to trace ancestors before the revolution, ( 1789) , because births were registered in churches, and the books were burrnt or lost in these troubled times..

I just know that my family name, that was typically Breton, was" Frenchized " then..

[quote user="tegwini"]

The earth's most serious problem is the population increase - almost exponential in the last few decades.  It always surprises me that few consider this increase and its consequences when talking about global warming etc.

tegwini

[/quote]

Disease, childhood mortality and early death are nature's way of controlling the population.  Man has become a victim of his own success.  If we are going to insist on treating every illness and fighting to defer death - even without the agreement of the dying - then we should at least follow China's example and limit family sizes.  (Which might have the added bonus of getting one over on the benefit scroungers...)

[quote user="Frenchie"]

In France it is difficult to trace ancestors before the revolution, ( 1789) , because births were registered in churches, and the books were burrnt or lost in these troubled times..

I just know that my family name, that was typically Breton, was" Frenchized " then..

[/quote]

Oops grammar, should that be Franchised [:P]

I go along with that Scooby. A while back the people in Africa had loads of children on the assumption that a small % would survive. Now they still have loads of children and because of our, non 3rd world countries, intervention most are surviving and surprise, surprise they can't feed them all! Quel surprise?

The problem is that the men are so brought up to believe that if they can't produce hoards of babies then they are not real butch blokes. Untill that hurdle can be passed they are bound to increase at an exponential rate!

I seem to remember that as of 2008 there are 6.6 Billion of us and its set to top 9 Billion by 2050 and then start to decline (slowly at first then speeding up) mainly because of the limits both socially and financially placed on couples to have just two children like in China. In a lot of African countries Aids is riff and people have many children in the hope that some or one will survive. Sadly, due to lack of education, the parents are the ones with Aids which is passed on to their children (during pregnancy) so its a bit of a myth that some will survive. In the UK where women are more empowered many women put off till later life having children due to career's or simply don't bother and the population growth of the UK has almost ground to a halt (I looked this up some time back when answering a post about immigration). This could have a detrimental effect on the UK economy in years to come by having a massively decreased workforce.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="powerdesal"]Her ancestors were with 'William the Bastard' in 1066, which impressed our notaire no end.

[/quote]

We've (or should I say my parents!) have traced our ancestors back to the same period.  Helped greatly by Burke's Peerage...which I guess is cheating!

[/quote]

Using any and all sources of information is quite legitimate, even Burke's Peerage (why not?). I used to have a photocopy of the page with my entry on it but have lost it [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]In the UK where women are more empowered many women put off till later

life having children due to career's or simply don't bother and the

population growth of the UK has almost ground to a halt (I looked this

up some time back when answering a post about immigration). This could have a detrimental effect on the UK economy in years to come by having a massively decreased workforce.[/quote]

It also changes the population mix over time as the proportion of families who are most able to ensure their offspring are well educated responsible citizens decreases.  Conversely the proportion of children from the lower socio-economic classes increases.

(Btw I have no intention of being patronising to anyone from a lower socio-economic group - but this is what the statistics show.  Children tend to follow the aspirations and lifestyle model of their parents.)

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Quillan"]In the UK where women are more empowered many women put off till later life having children due to career's or simply don't bother and the population growth of the UK has almost ground to a halt (I looked this up some time back when answering a post about immigration). This could have a detrimental effect on the UK economy in years to come by having a massively decreased workforce.[/quote]

It also changes the population mix over time as the proportion of families who are most able to ensure their offspring are well educated responsible citizens decreases.  Conversely the proportion of children from the lower socio-economic classes increases.

(Btw I have no intention of being patronising to anyone from a lower socio-economic group - but this is what the statistics show.  Children tend to follow the aspirations and lifestyle model of their parents.)
[/quote]

Hang on there Scooby all children are now well educated, Gordon said so on PM's questions just a few weeks back when David had a pop at him about falling education standards. Gordon was also quoted as saying the same in The Sun so it must be true. [;-)]

Taux de fécondité des femmes françaises, rapport de 2008

2,02 % d'enfants par femme française,  pour l'année 2008

Our birth rate is the second in Europe after Ireland .

[:D]

I'm ; like most French people,  very happy about it !!

These French kids will pay for our retirement pension, we need them !!

[:D]

( You all know how our pension system works, don't you?)

[quote user="Frenchie"]

( You all know how our pension system works, don't you?)
[/quote]

That's how the public sector pensions work.  The private sector works as follows:

1. Pay in lots of money
  2. Employer promises to also pay in lots on money but likes the occasional (long) holiday
  3. Mr Brown sees pot of money and gets greedy so snaffles some
  4. Watch as remaining pot of money disappears with the sliding FTSE100
  5. Retire at 68

6. Apply for income support in order to survive
  7. Die at your allotted three score years and ten - which you suddenly realise is only 18 months away.

Really easy Frenchy, you just rob Peter to pay Paul. Peter working, hopefully and Paul retired.. That could well read John retired!

When there are too many Pauls and not enough Peters that's when it starts looking at bit flimsy!

having just become a grandmother for the second time yesterday - I am not really in favour of a pandemic just now - than you Chris- (but I see what you mean!)

Do you Chris believe that we cannot change the outcome at all in anyway by changing our behaviour.

(.. and yes, an awful lot of land, pesticides, insecticides are used to produce tobacco, wine and beer)

As an almost veggie the bit I most dislike about this article is this:

<<They found the risk of being diagnosed with cancers of the stomach,

bladder and blood was significantly lower in vegetarians than in meat

eaters but, in contrast to earlier work, they found the rate of bowel

cancer was slightly higher among vegetarians than meat eaters.>>

My italics.

Sue [:(]