Should the unemployed be on snow clearing ?

The sight of people falling on ice covered pavements in high streets raises the question "Why are the unemployed not put to work with a spade making these pavements safe ."

If I was young fit and out of work and the council offered me work on a day call out basis to shift snow then I would do it . I  believe in 1947 people were sent by dole offices to council yards to tackle snow clearence ?  Unemployed bankers who have kept themselves fit on the ski slopes should enjoy it .

Having had 6 labourers sent from the Jobcentre to one site ,I would say ,"Don't waste your breath". I wouldn't go so far as to tar them all with the same brush but you might as well equip them with a beach bucket and spade.I expect it's against there Human Rights as well plus one to one Councelling plus Prozac might be required.

[quote user="Frederick"]

The sight of people falling on ice covered pavements in high streets raises the question "Why are the unemployed not put to work with a spade making these pavements safe ."

If I was young fit and out of work and the council offered me work on a day call out basis to shift snow then I would do it . I  believe in 1947 people were sent by dole offices to council yards to tackle snow clearence ?  Unemployed bankers who have kept themselves fit on the ski slopes should enjoy it .

[/quote]

Unfortunately in today's world, the "agency" middlemen who the council would undoubtedly use would charge about £100 per hour, pay the snow clearers minimum wage and you would get what you pay for. I like the idea of community service personnel being used. At last they would be actually doing something for the community

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Frederick"]

[/quote] Unfortunately in today's world, the "agency" middlemen who the council would undoubtedly use would charge about £100 per hour, pay the snow clearers minimum wage and you would get what you pay for. I like the idea of community service personnel being used. At last they would be actually doing something for the community[/quote]

Surely, the council just fone the job centre and say that they want, say, fifty people to clear the streets, send a coach and pick them up with a few shovels and tell them where and what. when finished they get to go home?

Wooly, Don't be silly you are being much too sensible. As you should know, the words council and sensible are not compatible. If they were, life and services for all of us would be much easier and cheaper. Anyway fingers crossed that they clear the roads tonight, so we can get to the tunnel tomorrow morning.

KathyF, thank you for the link, so it seems that at least Scotland can do it.

It is a shame that neither England, nor France, seem to be able to do something similar. Or perhaps they do, in some French communes, and this goes largely unreported? Community service is such a sensible move for offenders of any age group, anywhere.

I am not so sure about such a punitive blanket measure towards  "the unemployed" though, unless hand-picked....

If we think that jobseekers should clear out the snow, why not also hit "the retired"?

But then, if we had the unemployed, the idle and the retired shovelling snow, this forum would be decimated....

[quote user="5-element"]

But then, if we had the unemployed, the idle and the retired shovelling snow, this forum would be decimated....

[/quote]Please don't make me laugh, N, I have stitches, you know!  I'm just going to fit a mini snow-plough to the wheelchair and then I'm off out....

"Please don't make me laugh, N, I have stitches, you know!  I'm just

going to fit a mini snow-plough to the wheelchair and then I'm off

out...."

LOL Cooperlola!

Please post a picture.................................. no hurry, we'll wait 'til you've finished.[;-)]

p.s. Bon courage and I do hope you get well soon, take care and please leave the snow clearing to others.[:)]

Coops, sorry to be jeopardizing your stitches!! But look how resourceful you are, I can almost believe you WOULD add a mini-plough to the wheelchair if you could...

I add my bon courage to Cendrillon's bon courage. You are an model of fortitude to us all.[kiss]

[quote user="5-element"]But then, if we had the unemployed, the idle and the retired shovelling snow, this forum would be decimated....
[/quote]

But, 5-e, doesn't "decimated" means reduced by a tenth?

I reckon there's more than 10% of undemployed, idle, retired folk on the Forum![:P]

At a guess, I would say probably 90% are all 3.  You could start by counting me in........

There again, I suppose if you use a bell curve, the greatest numbers are going to be all clustered near the top of the curve.

But, if you use a pie chart.........hmmm.......there'll only be the tiniest sliver of the pie which shows those NOT belonging to all 3 categories, don't you think?

[quote user="Frederick"]Cooperopa....  Please while you are designing wheelchair modifications think of those who can walk...Can you also design a "Zimmer-Plough "   You will be on a winner and make a fortune .[/quote]

Too late on the Zimmer Plough - it's already been done - design available in this book [:)]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heart-My-Zimmer-Bill-Fallover/dp/1847442560/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263054014&sr=8-1