Barking mad

Chrissie

[quote user="Chrissie"]I was trying to explain the phrase "barking mad" to a French friend the other day (one of those conversations you quickly wish you hadn't started...). [/quote]

Best I can come up with: I had 'complètement dingue' explained to me the other day as 'complètement fou'; but it doesn't have anything to do with dogs, sorry.

Sue

Thanks for all those - I assume, being too lazy to head off to get dictionary, that the last is "mad as a hatter" - is that a real French phrase?

Oh dear, I feel the urge to translate "pop goes the weasel" coming on - must go and lie down!

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="NormanH"]But barking mad refers to a person!

[/quote]

It does indeed.

I believe the expression also refers to a "mad house" in Barking. If a person was / is thought to be crazy then he must be mad enough to be in that place in Barking.

If you look at the following link it gives a better explanation. Also look at Mad as a Hatter on the same link.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/mad-as-a-hatter.html

Sorry this does not answer the original question.

edit: I see my link goes straight to Mad as a Hatter but I am sure you will easily find the Barking Mad info.

can't open the link.     Frenchie 'barking mad' is used as a quantifier + adjective    =  very/extremely mad.

Example : my mother-in-law is very excentric! In fact she is barking mad- always going shopping in her pink fur coat and Wellington boots outfit.