Edith Piaf and other dead/tragic figures

SaligoBay

I think the cult is finally passing away.   CDs of the greatest hits of Edith Piaf and other dead or tragic (or both) singers are regularly in the supermarket for about 4 euros.

Doesn't suggest a huge continuing interest on the part of the French public, and thank goodness for that!

It was definitely an unhealthy obsession. 

Tut tut SB, you demean France's greatest born woman (after the Maid of Orleans and Brigitte Bardot, naturally) We saw the musical Edith at Richmond many moons ago with Elaine Page, struck home that perhaps unfortunately for some, she will be around for a very long time (no not Elaine dumkof, le petite oiseau) for who else do the Hexagonistes have ? Once a cult, toujours une culte, as my Grandmother used to say

4 euros you say, Mmmm "just out my sweet to get a paper, shan't be long" Je ne regrette rien la la la...................la la

..................from an obsessed and equally unhealthy Miki

Now when will they ditch le Johnny Boy, that is the question?

I must admit to being a fan of Charles Trenet, but I can't stand Mistanguet or Chevalier.

La pendule fait tic-tac-tic-tic

Les oiseaux du lac pic-pac-pic-pic

Glou-glou-glou font tous les dindons

Et la jolie cloche ding-dang-dong

Mais... boum!

Quand notre coeur fait boum

Tout avec lui dit boum

Et c'est l'amour qui s'éveille

[quote]Not dead, but maybe tragic, those 44cd's of C Aznavour for 659 euros don't seem to be selling too well in our local Carrefour.[/quote]

TU,

We have posted about this collection before. My thoughts are of two things, was it just crazily egoistic or just simply plain stupid to release something as large and expensive as that ?

Any idea of the sales anyone ?

one reason you find such cheap CDs in supermarkets is that the recordings may have had their copyright sold to A N Other company who capitalise on this outlay by trying to shift the units on low margins.

Another thing to watch for are the origin of the recordings. Often they will not be the studio classic you knoe but a radio broadcast or live performance.

So if that is just Amazon (is it?) and it has been in two of the bigger supermarkets around here (not on display anymore though), take that Nationwide and , well it could be nice few thousand sold and as you say, at £400 a throw !!

Nice little earner for the crooner and his bosses. How long now until Johnny bungs out all his "music" on CD's at a grand a lump !!

Bet Mick's watching the sales closely as well !

[quote]I think the cult is finally passing away. CDs of the greatest hits of Edith Piaf and other dead or tragic (or both) singers are regularly in the supermarket for about 4 euros. Doesn't suggest a hug...[/quote]

Thanks for that - I'll look out for some more Piaf CD's when I'm next over in France - I only have one. I'm not keen on many female singers but Piaf really sang from the heart. I love her pronunciation.

A Piaf album was the first present I gave to my husband - for his 18th birthday in 1977 - we'd only been going out together for a month and one of the first things we discovered was that we both liked Piaf. Perhaps we were born in the wrong era!

Where have you been Miki?  Johnny has just released three CD's featuring his lurve, rock and frightening hits.  Don't know the price though.

What has he done to his mouth?  Recent photo's show him as more frightening and moche then ever.

I like a lot of the dead/tragic singers.  There are quite a few!  Michel Berger, etc.  I would say I liked a tune and Gilles always seemed to see they were dead!

See that Claude Nougaro has just released a post coffin disc....

I shouldn't criticise, because I like Bob Dylan, and TOH would say he looks (sounds?) like he's been dead for a long time.

I do like my Charles Trenet CD, very much, which amuses my younger friends here, because they think of it as la musique des mamies.

I also like my Cloclo CD, but claim ignorance on that one, because when I arrived 4 years ago, I'd never heard of him, and nobody ever told me he was dead.   LOVE watching clips of him dancing with the Clodettes, but can't bear close-ups of him singing, especially "Comme d'Habitude", those lips, it's like something from a cheap horror movie.

Edith, well, I know it's almost blasphemic to say so, but I just can't listen to her, I don't hear passion, I just hear screeching.   I know I know I know, she had a tragic life and all that, but, well, sorry Miki et al, I just can't do it.   Please don't hold it against me, I've tried really hard, I promise.

Charles Aznavour I can live without.  Johnny is just unreal (in the way that fact is often stranger than fiction), nice voice but I can't listen to more than 2 songs in a row.

I'm in a sort of cultural wasteland at the moment, need some new stuff in my collection.   Real alive people, who write protest songs, and who sound original and inspiring.   Who would you recommend?   

I'm in a sort of cultural wasteland at the moment, need some new stuff in my collection.   Real alive people, who write protest songs, and who sound original and inspiring.   Who would you recommend?

I jest about Edith, I went to Richmond because a night at the theatre can be very good for the soul and this may give a clue, the theatre at Richmond is just a few doors from a wonderful pub where Real ale is the norm 

Alive people Mmmm,  so that's boy bands out, all girl bands out, bagpipe bands, brass bands, X factor peeps and that other "talent seeking prog.Johnny "weird lips" H (by the way Alexis, his triple set is miniscule compared to the HUGE set Charlie brought out !)

Joan is getting on a bit, Dylan, like you, the Mrs and I like him, even now, though his music rests off our playlist for fairly long spells these days, almost as long as Mr Cohen. Billy Bragg, well not very good, Billy Connolly whoops how did that slip in, yes Tom Waits was OK we occasionally still play Mme Armatrading and Mlle Chapman (is she a Mlle now ?  Johnny Cash returned to being a rebelese in his last few months I guess, oh so mournful but a great last album to leave us with. Not "rebel" so much as, needing to put a few things to right I guess.

Phew got a bit serious then and that ain't music eh ? did you know even David Gray has been around a real long time, so he aint new no more. So where are our young guns or has the world been put to right by the old pros of yesteryear? Je pense pas mais................

Dick,

Did you not see him on TV the other week? The previous album "10 new songs", was partly derived from a nice few years in a Zen centre, as a monk called Jikan. 

I reckon the new album is somewhat better than that album. Now that one, so nearly (but not quite) put me off him for ever !

Tina was sent a double CD from her friend called The Essential LC and she has been playing it for 2 flipping long years, probably the best one though as it covers his songs from the beginning.

If any of you want to sample a few tracks off his new album "Dear Heather" go to :

http://www.leonardcohen.com/DearHeather/ click on music.............

I'm afraid as a young man touring Europe in the late 60's, I discovered his music through some "nice girls" from Canada and some how he has just stuck with me, yes I know "music to commit suicide by" and all that. but.........

Still no tours on the horizon, so no shock calls from Tina of "I've booked us a trip to the Albert Hall Cohen is back" Merci dieu

• 5 months later...

If you like Piaf (who was a true Titi like meself) well you should also like Lucienne Boyer, particularly in 'parlez-moi d'amour', a truly breathtakingly beautiful song in its original version (circa 1925). Mistinguett is more of an acquired taste, but I like her as well, 'mon homme' is a classic in the French chanson dpt and also, if you love Paris, the 'sound' of Menilmontant and Belleville 50 yrs ago. Well done you Brits for spreading the word for the good chanson francaise !

Sorry folkes you are all stuck in a time warp.

There is new stuff around.

Air

really good,

Costas

Parisien Night club music - no not that Eurotrash stuff.

French mewsaic is alive n kicking but only just!

Deby

Yes, the 'new' scene gets some flak but they're not too bad. But, hey, if you know your stuff(60's up to now) you'll find that the times of the likes of Lalanne (best accoustic guitar player of his generation), Polnareff (what a voice !), Le Forestier (best ever guitar player ever !), Renaud (what a genius !), Souchon, Diane Tell (best female voice of the 80's), Veronique Sanson, Cabrel (still around but nowhere near as good as 20 yrs ago), Goldman, and a few others ARE GONE.  And, of course, Brel and Brassens, but will ever replace those 2 ?