and why do they do this?

Frogslegs

Many times in conversation with french people, normally at lunch over a glass of wine...they gesture which looks remarkably similar to a 'UP YOURS'  or worse...the only difference instead of placing their left hand in the crease of the underside of elbow and raising right arm...I think they (not sure now I am trying to explain) place there left hand on the upperside of right arm and raise! This had been done in front of me not only by men but women...and I really was not talking dirty![;-)]

I think from the OP orriginal description, that he wasn't describing the Bras d'honour.  It is as though the person making the gesture is giving him/herself a slap on the wrist(but halfway up the forarm) am I correct Frogslegs?  I am not to sure of that gesture either, It has been used by elderly and young alike in my presence........

If its not "up theirs"  then it must be "up yours"[:P]

It is as Claire says  "F**k them" or "up theirs",  my French mate uses it a lot talking about people who have annoyed him, the gesture is not quite as nazi like as on that shown on that US/French language site.

I can not remember exactly what we were talking about on previous occasions but this week I had just done a deal with a woman when purchasing a caravan that she was selling on behalf of her cousin! It seemed as the deal was done....then she did it! I must admit the caravan has not been delivered yet![:(]

[quote user="opas"]I asked my eldest girl about this last night.........she says it is used when something is finished ,ie the conversation /subject has been dealt with or that the person is going.[/quote]

Correct.

You want to finish a particular subject of conversation or want to leave impatiently, you slap your left forearm about half way and your left palm hand sort of curls towards your chest and you say :

'Allez hop! on s'barre'  for leaving the place and if there are more than one of you who want to leave impatiently 

or 'Allez hop! j'm'barre' if it's only you that wants to leave

or 'Allez hop! réglé' if the subject of the converstaion must be finished here and now .....

Very colloquial and not to be used in polite company/conversation......

• 3 weeks later...

I have encountered the same gesture (as OP) a few times - the first couple of times I was erm disconcerted to say the least, and wondered what on earth I had done.

The last time it happened was from my middle-aged female neighbour (extremely nice, very polite, and lady-like in her own farming sort of way).   She used the gesture within the context of explaining that she was looking after one of our other neighbours' dogs, and saying that they had gone away (queue gesture!).

Now I am not so worried about it, but it's certainly un-nerving the first time someone does it to you !!

I have also encountered this gesture a few times from an elderly farmer neighbour. I can't recall the other circumstances but the other day he said he came by and I was gone and all of the windows, doors and shutters of the house were closed and then the up yours gesture. [blink]

Not the most polite description on my part, but it is what happened. [:)] The funny part is probably the expression on my face when he makes the gesture. By the way, It 's not a gentle one either, it is carried out with much gusto. [:-))]

[quote user="londoneye"]...... then why do it with such vigour and apparent aggression !![/quote] Usually to indicate that the person left without saying his farewells, or owing monies... certainly in a hurry to get out o' here....