French Cinema

NormanH

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="5-element"][quote user="NormanH"]
For those who don't is there the equivalent of inter-library loan in France, and if so does it apply to DVDs as well as books?

[/quote]
My médiatheque has CDs, but sadly, no DVDs. Of course, even in a town of about 6,500 people, we have at least one video shop (or maybe two), both within walking distance, and that is always good value.

I don't know of any inter-library loan system here.
[/quote]

Sadly not like that in my coin, the nearest town has a population of 90,000, nearly double that with the neighbouring cantons, plenty of bars but not much else including video shops.

In fact I dont think that I have ever seen one anywhere, I would definitely have stopped to browse had I done so.

The Hairdressers Husband (Le mari de la coiffeuse) is one of my all-time favourite films!

I would also recommend -

Delicatessen - just superb

Indochine (several tissues worth of soppy but also interesting historically re France's involvement in Vietnam)

Le bonheur est dans le Pré - also has local interest as set in the Gers not far from me!

La vie est un long fleuve tranquille

Nikita - that's the proper French version not the rubbish US remake (although now I come to think of it wasn't the remake called something different?? EDIT The remake was called The Assassin)

Tatie Danielle - a brilliant comedy about looking after your grumpy old relations....though Tatie Danielle is bordering on evil not just grumpy!

Lou

EDIT have just realised that Le bonheur est dans le pré, La vie est un long fleuve tranquille and Tatie Danielle are all directed by Etienne Chatiliez

I loved Angel A, you need to stay with it as for the first few minutes you may wonder what on earth it is all about. Totally different but I thought it brilliant.

Not too sure but I think Nikita was the same director/producer.

Chris

[quote user="Frenchie"]Can anyone think of a film, in French or English, don't mind, that takes place in the middle ages, if possible not a war film, but more psychological, with castles, knights, etc .. ?[/quote]

Wouldn't emjoy Henry V then Frenchie[6]

On Monday, I was at a friends house, and they are able to receive ShortsTV.fr.  I caught the last few minutes of a film which was very atmospheric, and with pretty good cinematography and I really enjoyed it.  A bit of digging and I found this clip (scroll down, on left hand side), the film is called L'ecluse, and I will be on the lookout to see all 18 minutes of it (EDIT, that will be 0700 tomorrow (thu 30) then!).

• 2 weeks later...