French Cinema

NormanH

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One I'm looking out for is Tous les Soleils'

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=178852.html

It's by Phillipe Claudel whose books I enjoy very much and who made 'Il y longtemps que je vous aime'

He also wrote the book from which 'les Ames Grises' was made.

This new film looks to be in a brighter register.

"Alessandro est un professeur italien de

musique baroque qui vit Ă  Strasbourg avec Irina, sa fille de 15 ans, en

pleine crise, et son frĂšre Crampone, un gentil fou anarchiste qui ne

cesse de demander le statut de réfugié politique depuis que Berlusconi

est au pouvoir. " [:D]

English info here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1715356/

Did anyone know (for those living in the UK) that there is a channel on satellite entirely devoted to French cinema. It's called 'CinĂ©moi'  and is only available on subscription at about ÂŁ7 a month. Virgin media Channel 445 or SKY channel 343.

Very affordable I think, as for me a trip to the 'bioscope' is a round trip of 45 miles.

I bought the DVD of 'Tous les Soleils"  today (it was just released) and loved it.

It is a complete change of Register for Phillipe Claudel, but it is not as flimsy as the trailer might suggest.

There are themes of not letting oneself be imprisoned in the past, of Parents and children, of supporting others, of discovering love at different ages, the difficulties of expressing how one feels,   of France as an multicultural place (it is set in Strasbourg) as well as some first rate performances, lovely music well integrated into the story, and some beautiful views of Strasbourg and Alsace.

There are also some broad comic moments, although it is far from a rib-tickler!

• 3 weeks later...
If you can stand the pedestrian delivery of the narator/writer (an object lesson in how to make a fascinating subject almost boring), it's worth persisting with "The Story of Film : An Odyssey" on More4.  The episode which was broadcast in the wee small hours of this morning was fascinating on the subject of Cocteau/Renoir et al.  Yes, it covers world cinema but even so.  More next Saturday night at 22.00 UK time.

Whilst in France this last week I went to see : 'La guerre des boutons' and 'La nouvelle guerre des boutons'. Both from the book written by Louis Pergaud (1882-1915)

It is the story of 2 gangs of kids from 2 neighbouring villages somewhere in the french countryside and their everyday 'war'. Each skirmish is rewarded by the number of buttons taken as trophies from the enemy's garments. It lends to some quite funny & tender moments. Both films had equal merits. Both charming films though at times some of you, that feel challenged with the french language, would find it difficult as there was a lot of colloquialism. I was in nostalgia country OK, especially with the first of the 2 versions. Being but a mere child at the time the scriptwriters placed the story i.e. around the early time of la guerre d'AlgĂ©rie. I certainly remember being sent to church with a scarf on my head (if you do watch it : notice the young girls on the sunday, all with their heads covered going to church) and the schoolroom had changed very little. The second version was placed during the second world war and for me was more reminiscent of stories I had heard from my parents and grand-parents.

There are 2 other versions made of that book. One filmed in 1962 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Buttons_(1962_film) which I dearly want to see as the actor Jean Richard is in it and he was a native from my neck of the woods. I remember him once he was famous, he came to visit his old primary school of which I was a pupil. My claim to fame!

Also a version made in 1994 where it is all happening in Ireland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Buttons_(1994_film) and the story was regigged by Colin Welland and produced by David Putnam (them of 'Chariots of Fire' fame)

I am also re-reading the book (it was part of the reading list in primary school years, so long ago...) to see how much these films have differed from the original story written.

Amazing how many stories you can make on one book. I bet the bloke is turning in his grave for all the royalties he is missing as the new law on lengthening (going from 50 to 70 years) the copywrights/royalties is not yet on the french statute book. Still it would not have helped him, but maybe his descendants ?...

I read good reviews of Panique au Village but never got around to seeing it until it was on Film 4 earlier this week.  Possibly one of the daftest movies I've ever seen but very entertaining.  Remember those plastic farm animals you had when you were a kid?  Well here they are again (the Belgian version at any rate).  It's hard to imagine a plastic horse as a movie hero, but here he is.  Hysterical.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks very much Cendrillon. You reminded me of 'La TĂȘte en Friche' which had been recommended to me last year when it came out.

I loved it [:D].

Yes it is a tiny bit sentimental, but just the sort of thing that French Cinema does well with none of the cloying exaggeration you sometimes get in Hollywood.

Beautifully performed (Depardieu on form)  and a wonderful portrait of small town France at its most charming.

Also known for Anglophone audiences as My Afternoons with Margueritte

Re. 'La TĂȘte en Friche' (My Afternoons with Margueritte)

I agree Norman, a nice gentle film. Interestingly for us the small town where most of it was filmed is just a few kms from our house in France. The bar / restaurant is there in the town but was re-christened for the film.