Sorry, the time has come to ask

ChezShells

Most french supermarkets sell Earl Gray of at least one sort or other, and a bit of Green Leaf, but other teas such as Assam, Lapsang Souchong, or Chai which are my favourites seem difficult to locate. Pity as my local Auchan sells 4 different brands of 3 kinds of tea, when they could sell 1 brand and more choice.

Regards

S

But it would it be a wonderful site to see your French neighbours faces when a TESCO van pulled up out side your house

just a bit of fun

dave

thinking now Shell I could put a trailer on the back of one of those tesco vans!!!!!!        

The nearest thing to sliced bacon sold in ALL supermarkets is Poitrine, you can get it natural or smoked or as a joint. 

The Herta "bacon petit dejeuner" is not sold in many shops,  I have only seen it in Le Clerc in Gaillac, (where there is also a UK section selling english goods at very inflated prices, including Tetley tea bags and Heinz beans at €1.70), however the Le Clerc's at Albi, Capdenac and Rodez don't sell it,  neither do any of the Super and Hyper U's we use in 12.

At one time Hyper U used to do a sliced bacon d'anglais which was most always sold out, so they stopped selling it  However in our Hyper U , you can buy peanut butter and lemon curd. Yuck

Have you tried Maynards Farm Bacon Limited in Shropshire (Rec by Rick Stein Food Heroes) They may have a French Outlet. www.maynardsfarm.co.uk Tel: 0044 1948 840 252 Ask for Rob Cunningham. He often holidays in Normandy which is where we met him. (Dry Cured Bacon from Rare Free Range Tamworth Pigs)

I don't know whereabouts you are, but if you have an Irish Shop (Comptoir Irlandais) nearby they sell ordinary back bacon.  We have such a shop in St. Brieuc and have a regular order for bacon and sausages.   They're pretty good too - rather more expensive than in the U.K., but much cheaper than the ferry trip home!

Mary

Re bacon substitute: we use Herta "Poitrine Fumée tranches fines", which are thin belly slices. They come in smoked or unsmoked and there's a €0.50 off sticker for your next purchase at the moment...

Re tea: Him indoors is very satisfied with Leclerc "Plantation d'Or" breakfast Thé de l'Inde, which is sold in boxes of 100 individually wrapped bags.

On another note, Géant in Aurillac have now expanded their "éxotique" range to include Patak's curry pastes (various strengths), Naan breads, including (garlic and coriander) and mango chutneys...

When they had their "Chinese New Year" display last month, we stocked up on all sorts of chinese and indian basic stuff (they do tend to put all non-european food stuff in the same display at that time of year!) and I finally found some Sesame oil!

At the till, I was asked what I used it for, as they did not know whether to use it for salad or frying...I did stand out a bit with 4 bottles of the stuff!

Anyway I am pleased to see that it's now available on the shelves all year round and I am even happier to have bought 4, as it's now priced 50% more than I paid for them last month!

[quote]Re bacon substitute: we use Herta "Poitrine Fumée tranches fines", which are thin belly slices. They come in smoked or unsmoked and there's a €0.50 off sticker for your next purchase at the moment...R...[/quote]

Hi,

Smoked streaky bacon is one of the very few things (count 'em on the fingers of one hand) that I REALLY miss. I'm sorry, but I don't find that any poitrine fumée is anything like the flavour. I love it, but it's not the same at all. What I do is to go to Borough Market just before we come back (once a year) and buy up a ruinous amount, and freeze it. It keeps OK for about 3-4 months.

I'm afraid that if I'm going to buy something special (to me) from the UK, it's got to be absolute top quality, and the relatively easily available stupormarket bacon, artifically smoked and wringing wet has no real interest.

But then.. one reason I came to France 15 years ago was to be able to cook really good British dishes.

[quote]Hi,Smoked streaky bacon is one of the very few things (count 'em on the fingers of one hand) that I REALLY miss. I'm sorry, but I don't find that any poitrine fumée is anything like the flavour. I lov...[/quote]

How I envy your financial means! I just buy the best I can afford at the moment!

Being French born and bred does gives me a slight advantage on everyday French cooking, but I never did manage an Indian curry from start to finish, even when living in the UK! I always preferred the ease of a good take-away... Of course this is no longer an option so we have to do with supermarket or shop offerings!

[quote]Isn't it ironic that the best bacon sarnie in the universe is English bacon in fresh French bread...[/quote]

yes will give that a thumbs up, them french new we were coming when they started to make bread the same shape as bacon rashers , just and a hint of daddies brown sauce, it makes the top of my head swet loovely    

dave

[quote]How I envy your financial means! I just buy the best I can afford at the moment!Being French born and bred does gives me a slight advantage on everyday French cooking, but I never did manage an Indian...[/quote]

Hi CJ

Well, I don't buy truffles or foie gras, lobster or oysters, either for Reveillon or Pâques, so reckon that a kilo or two of good bacon can be bought with our savings

;-)).

I'm on a bit of a diet at the mo, (over eating for a two and a half month trip down the West coast of the USA) so Indian nosh is out. However one/two of the best slimming cuisines in the world is chinese/thai, so we're eating phenomenally well at the moment for relatively little money, and losing weight at the same time.

And before you accuse me of being wealthy again, we run a B&B and put all the income into our "travel fund". This pays for everything from the time we leave home, to get back - including smoked streaky bacon from the "Ginger Pig" or Denny's - and Montgomery's cheddar from Neal's Yard while we're down there. (That's the other thing from the UK without which life wouldn't be worth living).

Glutton? Me? Too right.

[quote]Hi CJ Well, I don't buy truffles or foie gras, lobster or oysters, either for Reveillon or Pâques, so reckon that a kilo or two of good bacon can be bought with our savings ;-)). I'm on a bit of a die...[/quote]

I don't buy foie gras, lobster or truffles either! Like you, we live off our rental income, it's just that yours seems larger than ours, lucky you!

Our hamlet is out in the sticks and shopping trips to Brive or Toulouse are out of the question, as are trips to the UK!

We knew that when we moved, so we're gently adjusting to the change of pace and finding alternatives suitable to us and our (shallow!) pocket...

cutting our cloth, so to speak!

[quote]Try www.epicerieanglaise.com They sell bacon and bring back what you want from England then mail it in cold boxes...no I don't work for them!!![/quote]

Hi,

you said:-

Try www.epicerieanglaise.com

They sell bacon and bring back what you want from

Brill, thanks very much for the info.

Usually I like Leader Price's poitrine fume. I buy Carrefour's  The des Indes,English breakfast, not the cheapest one they do, one with the pic of the Taj Mahal on it.

And if I was in England I would buy Rington's tea (and their ginger biscuits, fantastic they are). Re bacon, well, I've paid a lot paid a little when back and I have found nothing to impress in years and years.