Undercooked meat

Wendy

Has anybody adapted to the french way of eating red meat, such as boeuf hache, practically raw and dripping with blood?. At places like Flunch I sent ours back until they were cooked properly through. Getting vile looks from the cook was part of the ordeal. Anyway, surely its a fact that the meat should be cook right through to kill any bacteria. The last one we got was so underdone that the blood turned the mashed potato red on the plate!. I like Flunch during a break in shopping though.

We always have eaten our meat rare. Having a good piece of steak cooked right through, to me, would be like eating a bit of old shoe leather.  We probably eat our meat even rarer now than we did before moving here in answer to your question.

No, I still don't like a puddle of blood on my plate.

I can eat it if I have to, but I'm just not keen on the taste or the texture.   I LIKE my meat well cooked, I LIKE the taste, I LIKE the texture.

And I do not consider myself the slightest bit inferior to the blood-suckers among you.

I don't like yoghurt either, beurk! 

Hi Wen,

I've been told that red meat doesn't require cooking all the way through because the fibres are so tightly packed that they don't harbour bacteria. So long as the meat is in good condition and is seared on the outside it should be fine. This understanding doesn't explain stek tartar, though.

We eat our magrets de canard and beef red inside and have never had a problem. The only undercooked thing I would send back would be chicken which, from past experience, is bound to provoke a night of gyppy tummy.

Bon apetit!

[quote user="wen"]Has anybody adapted to the french way of eating red meat, such as boeuf hache, practically raw and dripping with blood?. At places like Flunch I sent ours back until they were cooked properly through. Getting vile looks from the cook was part of the ordeal. Anyway, surely its a fact that the meat should be cook right through to kill any bacteria. The last one we got was so underdone that the blood turned the mashed potato red on the plate!. I like Flunch during a break in shopping though.[/quote]

Just ask for it "bien cuit" and that should do the trick.

When I moved to England some years ago, someone asked me if I had adapted to the english way of eating meat, such as burgers, practically hard and dry of any juice? ... Anyway surely it's a fact that meat should be cooked just so for it to be edible to have any taste...

You have a point with bacteria and steak haché, as they live on the outside of the meat, and when minced the outside becomes the inside... With slabs of meat cooking the interior through isn't necessary and anything on the outside is killed off.

I'm with the majority here - I can't bear cremated meat.

Don't drink milk anyway. Love very raw beef, a good vet should be able to bring it back to life! Sometime OH likes his steak cockroach brown all the way through; in testaurants I used to ask for it 'carbonise' which made the waiters fall about laughing as they understood the joke; he did not since he does not speak French....

Oh yes, not alot though as I like a cup of tea you can stand a spoon up in!. With the meat I tend to say tres, tres bien cuit!  I guess Im from the BBQ culture where we  like charcoaled meat. Have to mention about the last time I bought a cup of tea here..at a ski resort and the girl took a cup, put hot tap water in it and floated in a tea bag. I was desperate for a cuppa so I drank it yecchh!.

Moi aussi, a plate of blood swimming round the veggies is not a personal choice..........[+o(] 

As for T, it seems a popular thing in French houses, to pop one Lipton T bag in a large pan, with several pints of water, heat it a while, but not quite to boiling, then serve it with half a cup of milk added.........Several of our friends and neighbours have all prepared T is this way, you soon learn to say "un cafe svp".  One French friend even said " I wish I knew how to make T" as she floated the  T bag in a huge pan of warm water.........  we duly had a T making session.  [C] 

Best way for good beef is to cut the horns off and wipe it's bum! About the right size too. The thing about stek hasche here is that unlike the U.K. the beef is minced as it's made into the bugers, sorry burgers so the chance of any nasties getting onto the now exposed meat is virtually nil. That's how our butcher in Villemoustaussou does them. Yum, yum [:P]....

Magret de canard is lovely rare done on the BBQ. I think that if I had ever cooked a magret right the way through on our BBQ then you would have been able to use it as an unguided missle it would be so hard, but then our BBQ gets very hot!

Milk in tea, a must have, but no sugar because I'm sweet enough [*].....

John.

I had some pidgeon the other week in England. Just cooked like magret de canard and very pink in the middle. Delicious it was and as far as I was concerned cooked to perfection.

I do not like all meat rare though, Lamb is an example I can eat it 'pink' but I love it cooked through and the fat well cooked. I like my roast beef well cooked, steak rare.

Am I used to the french way, not sure about that. I do know what I like though.

I can't get enough of raw or under-cooked food: I prefer most vegetables raw, I like steak tartare, entrecote saignante, sushi, oysters, sea urchins and carpaccio! There's also a Tahitian dish which involves marinating fish in lime juice until it's cooked by the acidity.