Asparagus

Gardian

First of the season for lunch today. (The Gard is the biggest producing area in France)

Ten spears each, done in the asparagus boiler for 7 mins, then served with melted butter and a sprinkle of rock salt. Lovely.

A bit pricey at the moment - the above was €2.50-ish.  They'll be doing it by the roadside soon for €2 / kilo.

[quote user="Gardian"]

They'll be doing it by the roadside soon for €2 [/quote]

Sorry Ian!

I was feeling sorry that nobody was responding to your thread - I hate when that happens so..........I thought I'd quote you out of context[:D]

I'm off to bed now.[:P]

2 euros a kilo !  Where is the truck?   I never see it that cheap.  AND, how do you determine if the asparagus is not going to be stringy and ucky?  I really love the thin spears when they are not a chore to chew, but I can never seem to figure out how to determine that before paying the price - and round here, the price never seems to drop below 2.99 per kilo. 

We had the first from our veggy garden last night as well - is it early this year?  Maybe it's just because ours is 4 years old as well now and so is getting quite strong.  I just hope that the low temperatures forecast for next week don't cause too much damage.

[quote user="Lori"]

2 euros a kilo !  Where is the truck?   I never see it that cheap.  AND, how do you determine if the asparagus is not going to be stringy and ucky?  I really love the thin spears when they are not a chore to chew, but I can never seem to figure out how to determine that before paying the price - and round here, the price never seems to drop below 2.99 per kilo. 

[/quote]

Well Lori, that's the price 'from the field', so I suppose it ought to be a bit cheaper.  When it's been lifted within the last couple of hours, you somehow feel that it's going to be nice and fresh, but you never know if it's going to be stringy till you try it.  They spend time grading it in the back of the truck, so you can choose the size of spears you want.

I must say that using a pukka asparagus steamer does help - you can properly cook the 'stalk' without making the top go to mush.

I see..  So, the asparagus actually stands up as it cooks?  How long do you leave it on the stove? and I take it the tips are at the top.

Seems like a rather large kitchen item to use for, basically, one thing.  I did see you can steam corn in it.

[quote user="Lori"]

I see..  So, the asparagus actually stands up as it cooks?  How long do you leave it on the stove? and I take it the tips are at the top.

Seems like a rather large kitchen item to use for, basically, one thing.  I did see you can steam corn in it.

[/quote]

Yep, tips upwards.  Just snap the spears about halfway down (as the TV chefs say, there's a 'natural' place and it just happens.)  Rubber band round them, just to make it easier to extract them, then in to the boiler.  Reckon 6 mins for really small (diameter) spears, 8-9 for medium ones, 10-12 for the really big uns.   I've heard talk of 20 mins for the big spears (they like them big down here - no cue for you, Twinkle!), but to me , that's murder.

I know that it seems like a once-a-year thing, but when you've bought one, you wouldn't use anything else.

Roadside blokes not out yet - bit early still & they can get get a better price on the market with the tourists.  give it a week or two.

Cherry trees well in blossom though - not long!!   

I adore asparagus, prepared in a variety of ways, but there is one thing I've never understood.  Why do so many Europeans, the French in particular, prefer white to green asparagus?  The green have much more flavor to me, and tend to be less fibrous, to boot. 

Since DH won't eat the stems (beyond the first three or four inches), I snap them off and put everything in a normal veg steamer (stems on the bottom), save the stems for soup and enjoy the tips in glorious decadence.  (They're also delicious in a stir-fry with prawns.)