Buying bacon

curlyp

Depends really on what you want. Most big shops sell packs of Bacon that are wafer thin strips usually meant for wrapping round canapés. Personally I buy a large pre-packed hunk or two from LeClerc of Poitrine Salé Fumée and slice it myself with a food slicer into packs for the freezer. This is excellent bacon rashers and keeps well giving nice fat and no water in the pan. In Leader Price recently I noticed a pack of Bacon (marked thus) of about 24 rashers which were a bit thicker but still no rind which my lot love crispy done.

You will not get bacon in France as you know it in the UK.  You can get packets of thin sliced streaky bacon (its called bacon or bacon d'anglais, Herta do it), in the large hypermarkets in areas where there are lots of Brits or tourists, otherwise as Val says its poitrine sliced or on a joint.

I am certainly not one to preach about food but couldn't help myself when I saw this post. [:-))]   Bacon is sooo bad for you because of the nitrate it contains. Nitrate is proven to cause cancer, in fact, this is what is given to rats in labs to create cancer.

[quote user="Tag"]I imagine in Saudi Arabia you might ask for an arm and a leg and they'd offer you a hand of bacon! Didn't they used to do some stuff made from beef?[/quote]

Fine in the morning along with fruit salad and ice cream. Five breakfasts in US enclaves and I had take in my entire calories for the week in Saudi.

"poitrine fume" (with an acute accent on the e in fume - can't do accents on this computer!!) makes good streaky smoked bacon - better even, dare I say it.  You can buy in pre-packs or loose at deli counters in supermarkets or charcuteries.  You can have it sliced or just buy a block to cut yourself.

Lou

[quote user="WJT"]I am certainly not one to preach about food but couldn't help myself when I saw this post. [:-))]   Bacon is sooo bad for you because of the nitrate it contains. Nitrate is proven to cause cancer, in fact, this is what is given to rats in labs to create cancer.[/quote]

[:P]You had better not dribble any bacon fat on your preachers collar, only positive replies in future