Boring cheese

newbiee

I'm finding cheese very boring!  [:-))]   All the ones I've tried have been a variation on a theme (soft, bland) so I'm not encouraged to try more. 

I'm looking for recommendations of tasty cheeses - strong flavours.  I like roquefort, St Agur etc as they have a good strong taste.  I've tried Munster, which has quite a strong flavour.  Anybody who had tried some of the stronger, more powerful cheeses .. please share the name with me.

Thanks very much 

If you liked Munster then try Chaumes and Liverot - which to my mind have more flavour.  Also, bleu d'Auvergne is good if you like blue stuff.

Our local cheese man, in the market here, will always let me try before I buy so it might be worth your while checking out your local markets too.

[quote user="Patf"]I haven't eaten cheese for a year or so as I'm cutting down on cholesterol. But I remember Cantal, it's quite like Cheddar. There are 2 types, medium and mature. The older one is fairly strong. Good for cheese on toast.[/quote]

There are more than two types, but the main ones are, in order of strength and taste, Cantal Jeune, Entre-deux and Vieux.

On special occasions, we stretch to the Laguiole AOC or Salers AOC [:D]

Our village market cheese man does all the usual suspects, but 3 we like in particular:

• Bleu de Gex (Jura)
  • Beaufort (Savoie)
  • and a 'Tommette' from the Pyrenees (but we've tried others which aren't half as good, so getting the exact one would be impossible)

My 'Bible' on this subject is a book called (surprisingly) French Cheeses, published by Dorling Kindersley.  Out in 1996 at £12.99, but probably reprinted since & almost certainly still available via the usual channels. ISBN 0-7513-0346-1.

A good read and great for reference. I always find the cheese that I've 'stumbled across' in there. 

No commercial connection of course. 

Cheeses with the rind washed in something alcoholic - beer, spirit etc - smell incredibly strong (though often taste less pungent than they smell).

During many trips to Northern France over the last few years, I have enjoyed:
The well-known Maroilles, an orange-rinded cheese, often a basis for flans called "flamiche aux Maroilles". 
Vieux-Boulogne – made from cow’s-milk, washed with beer, and ranked officially as France’s smelliest cheese in 2004.
Boulette d’Avesnes – a bright red, paprka-sprinkled pyramid, with beer-washed rind, formed in a dinstinctive cone.
Bergues – washed in beer; look for it at the weekly Monday market in Bergues, near Dunkerque.

Angela