Remoska

goose

[quote user="Clair"]I keep a batch of bread dough in the fridge, enough for about 4 small (1lb loaves).

When I need some bread, I just grab a fistful of dough, shape it quickly (minimal handling) without kneading and plonk it in a silicone dish.

I leave it to come to temperature and bake it, having warmed the Remoska first (Remoska switched on for about 10mn with a dish of water inside).

Baking takes about 20mn, with another 5mn outside the silicone dish with the Remoska off.

The silicone dish is a round cake dish I happen to have, nothing special.

I have also used a metal long bread pan, but I don't think that would have fitted inside the standard Remoska.

I prefer that to the bread maker now, as I can just spend 5mn preparing a batch (by hand) which will last about 10 days and bake loaves as needed.

[/quote]

This is the bread I have just baked in the Remoska:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That bread looks lovely Clair, I am off to Lakeland on Tuesday to buy my Remoska before we take the trip over in a couple of weeks time.

I am getting very excited now as at last our dream of owning a home in France is coming to its end!! On 21st March the house will be ours [8-|]

Clair

Your bread looks great !     I did rolls  and it wasn't a great success .  It all got eaten though.

Goose

I have a standard remoska and have bought an extra shallow pan which we use all the time for baked potatoes etc  I would defo recommend you getting  one as well.  I also bought a rack which we rarely use -

so that   was a waste of money. The new cookbook is much better laid out than the old one and has some good ideas in it that you wouldn't maybe have thought of doing . As my one moves  between UK and France I haven't changed the plug but put a converter on it .

Cheers

Cluzo,

What a shame your rolls did not come up to scratch. If you made the dough in the bread maker, it would have been kneaded but for the "fridge bread" to work best, it should not be kneaded at all and handled as little as possible.

I have not got a shallow pan for the large Remoska, but luckily, I have found I can use the microwave grill in it to lift a quiche or pizza closer to the lid.

Clair

Next time I will cook it straight from Bread-maker . I'm still in UK and I have to confess I love the sliced stuff  we can buy here but not in  France , so until we are back 3-4 weeks time  there isn't a really urgent need .

Baguettes have wrecked mine & OH 's teeth so we cant cope with them anymore ( baguettes not teeth!!).

If you get a chance to buy a shallow pan, do, as its so good for potatoes - jacket,roasties,sliced dauphinoise etc etc . I never use it for pizza's as in standard pan they are too big.

[quote user="Cluzo"]
Goose
I have a standard remoska and have bought an extra shallow pan which we use all the time for baked potatoes etc  I would defo recommend you getting  one as well.  I also bought a rack which we rarely use -
so that   was a waste of money. The new cookbook is much better laid out than the old one and has some good ideas in it that you wouldn't maybe have thought of doing . As my one moves  between UK and France I haven't changed the plug but put a converter on it .
Cheers
[/quote]

Hi Cluzo,

I was thinking of getting a shallow pan for the Remoska and now you suggested it I will seriously think about it some more [I] I have decided to buy the largest Remoska as you can always do less food for that but if you buy the smaller one you can't do extra can you [;-)] The recipe book was also on the list as you can't have too many cookery books (well I don't think you can, my husband begs to differ). Thanks for the advice.

Well I bought one (the largest) and the recipe book to go with it, the only problem now is that it takes up a quarter of our car boot [:(] and hubby is not best pleased, he seems to think I will have to leave all my clothes at home to accommodate the Remoska!  I can't wait to try it out but have to wait until we are in our lovely little house in France, roll on 21st March [:D]

Since following this thread I've also decided to get a Remoska when we visit the UK next week. I also need a shallow pan, as recommended, plus the cook book. Any other suggestions, please? I think as there are only 2 of us most of the time a medium size should be ok - plus, it's a small apartment with limited storage space!

I do wish we hadn't bothered with the expense of the oven, which is also pretty much a waste of space. It seems to take ages to warm up, and once the weather warms up - any time from March, we're in full sun all day, and it's too hot to use the oven even in the evenings. 

Thanks for all the interesting posts on this subject, Jo

• 2 months later...

I have at last managed to buy a reoska off ebay. As it is 2nd hand it has no instructions. Could anyone who has one advise me of some does and don'ts. I have looked at the Lakeland site, but it's the basic's I m after/

Many thanks

Basically...

Never switch it on empty.

If you want to heat it before putting food in, put a small dish or ramekin filled with water inside.

I have cut a Lidl silicone baking liner/sheet (€2.99) slightly larger than the base and keep it inside the pan to protects the non-stick coating, as I tend to cook/bake in dishes rather than in the pan.

Read the importer's site for more tips: http://www.hoorayforhomecooking.co.uk/UsingaRemoska.htm

I have a spare recipe booklet somewhere. If I can find it, I'll let you know so you can PM me your address...

Intrigued, I looked at Lakeland and found they want £88 for the standard model.

A-ha thinks I, they are made in Czech Republic, I know someone who lives in Prague !!

So checking (sorry, pun) out Remoska.cz and struggling with the language, I fînd that this thing costs 2,999 Czech Koruny (plus postage).  A bargain! or is it?  At todays exchange rate that's €111 or £98  [:'(]

So Lakeland is still best price

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Intrigued, I looked at Lakeland and found they want £88 for the standard model.

A-ha thinks I, they are made in Czech Republic, I know someone who lives in Prague !!

So checking (sorry, pun) out Remoska.cz and struggling with the language, I fînd that this thing costs 2,999 Czech Koruny (plus postage).  A bargain! or is it?  At todays exchange rate that's €111 or £98  [:'(]

So Lakeland is still best price

[/quote]

Indeed!

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/1515549/ShowPost.aspx#1515549

We got our Remoska back here a week or so ago, after the wife's visit to the UK. I have to say we were expecting great things from it, but are a little disappointed. We weren't expecting cooking in it to be so SLOW!. Maybe we missed the point, or maybe we are misusing it! Maybe a seasoned user can put us right...

Chris

How slow is slow? IS the lid heating evenly? (it has two heating elements and I have read of one element not working)

It is not instant heat like a hob, but more like an oven, which means you have to allow for it to come up to temperature.

If you need it warm up before putting food in (cakes, bread..), put a small dish filled with water in the pan and turn the Remoska on. It allows it to warm up without causing damage to the non-stick lining.

I do everything in mine that I would do in the oven without the cost or hassle of actually using the oven, but you do have to allow an extra 15-20 mn.

• 4 weeks later...
Bread rolls in Remoska:

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/Bread.jpg[/IMG]

Francine multi-céréales flour, dough prepared and shaped last night, rested overnight in the fridge and baked this morning.

• 3 weeks later...
I do not bake cakes in the pan itself but in cake tins (do protect the inside of the pan if using metal).

For pizza, you're supposed to use the rack, but I have found that one of the microwave racks fits perfectly inside the deep pan and is just high enough to suit.