Remoska

goose

I have searched through the archives to see if anyone has asked this question before but can't see it mentioned, although Clair has one.

Does anyone know if you can buy the Remoska in France or will I have to go to Lakeland before we come over?  We will have a car full so I was hoping to buy all the electrical goods when we get there, we were going to hire a van but the cost is just too much [:@]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought one over from the UK when we moved, then it broke down and I ordered another online from Lakeland a few weeks ago.

The exchange rate encouraged me, despite the high delivery charge.

It arrived very quickly and I haven't used the oven since.

I don't know what you mean by "that good"... [8-)]

It's an electric mini-oven with the heating element in the lid. It is manufactured in the Czec Republic and imported exclusively by Lakeland.

I use mine instead of the normal-size oven. I bake everything I would usually bake in a normal-size oven (and more) but I don't use as much electricity.

More details here: http://www.hoorayforhomecooking.co.uk/index.html

I checked out that website yesterday Clair and I think I have now persuaded my hubby that we HAVE to buy one, looks as though a visit to Lakeland is imminent [:D]. I always spend too much money when we go there so he is probably having palpitations already.

I find it amazing that you can make Yorkshire puddings in it so maybe that will be my first experiment as I am originally from York.

I have had  a Remoska for about 4 years but I know I dont use it as much as I could .

I hunted everywhere to find one discounted as they are quite pricy - but the only place that stocked  one (at full price) was Lakeland .

My one is lugged backward and forward twice a year between the UK and France . Its good in the summer as it doesnt heat the place up as much as my oven ( which is NOT the worlds best).

Ive bought both Cookbooks -  they have some lovely  stuff in them  but I still dont use it to its best .

What I do use it for  though is  Jacket potatoes !!!!    Yum Yum

[quote user="goose"]

I checked out that website yesterday Clair and I think I have now persuaded my hubby that we HAVE to buy one, looks as though a visit to Lakeland is imminent [:D]. I always spend too much money when we go there so he is probably having palpitations already.

I find it amazing that you can make Yorkshire puddings in it so maybe that will be my first experiment as I am originally from York.

[/quote]

Buy hubby some of their liquorice whilst you are there, that'll keep him sweet [:D]

Not the same thing at all:

• a slow cooker cooks at low temp over a long period of time ( min 4 hours)
  • a Remoska is a compact electric oven with a heating element in the lid and no thermostat, just an on-off switch. It cooks/bakes at 190°-220°

I baked 2 cakes and a bread in mine yesterday.

Has anyone tried the turbo ovens which operate on Halogen and infra red. They seem to do much the same job as the Remoska,but are usually cheaper to buy, and are self cleaning. I have seen many demonstrations on shopping chanels but have never met anyone with any experience of owning one.

Bought mine about 7 years ago but it doesn't look as if its halogen it just says convection cooker - Looks the same though .

I have used it twice !!  once when I first bought it and once again last week  after I came across it in the Garage cant say I was impressed either time .

I did a roast and potaotoes thingiy - the meat was no better than OK  and the potatoes were leathery and not crispy .

I dont think you cant get good roasties without any fat .

It is big and takes up a lot of storage space .

The demonstrators in Costco use them all the time to do all their cooking .

Clair  - What size remoska do you use to bake bread in ?  and how much mixture do you use ? and do you do it on the dough setting on your bread maker? .

and do you do rolls or a roudn loaf .

Sorry Clair - sounds like an inquesition - but Im really interested in doing some bread in mine

Cheers

The size of the Remoska does not come into it at all (I have a large one).

I keep a batch of bread dough in the fridge, enough for about 4 small (1lb loaves).

When I need some bread, I just grab a fistful of dough, shape it quickly (minimal handling) without kneading and plonk it in a silicone dish.

I leave it to come to temperature and bake it, having warmed the Remoska first (Remoska switched on for about 10mn with a dish of water inside).

Baking takes about 20mn, with another 5mn outside the silicone dish with the Remoska off.

The silicone dish is a round cake dish I happen to have, nothing special.

I have also used a metal long bread pan, but I don't think that would have fitted inside the standard Remoska.

I prefer that to the bread maker now, as I can just spend 5mn preparing a batch (by hand) which will last about 10 days and bake loaves as needed.

Thanks for your speedy reply Clair

I never thought to put a batch in the fridge - what a good idea .

You have inspired me and ive a batch on the dough setting on the go so that I can bung it in the fridge and have lovely rolls for lunch tomorrow.

Good that means Iwont have to go out into the cold cold snow tomorrow.

By the way I have never thought to warm up remoska that way - brilliant

Cheers

[quote user="Jazzer"]Has anyone tried the turbo ovens which operate on Halogen and infra red. They seem to do much the same job as the Remoska,but are usually cheaper to buy, and are self cleaning. I have seen many demonstrations on shopping chanels but have never met anyone with any experience of owning one.[/quote]

When we first came to France and had no cooking facilities, a friend of ours lent us one of those American infra red ovens.

What d'you mean, self-cleaning?

There was the huge plastic dome to clean and, even worse, the damned grill which took forever to get properly clean.

And, as you say, the roast was so-so and I couldn't wait to hand it back.  In fact, I'd rather not have any roast or grilled stuff than use that contraption.

Oh Clair !!!!!!!

Bunged my dough in a fridge box as I planned - But its still expanding and the box has nearly exploded. !!!!!

I hate to think  what it will be like in the morning - it might be like a cuckoo -  taken over the entire fridge and chucked every thing else out !!!!!!!!!