I think I've solved my bread problem

Iceni

Though I slavishly followed the instructions that accompany my Morphy Richards bread maker the end results were disastrous or worse. The problem, according to SWKE (she what knows everything), is height - not mine, the bread maker. It seems that above 1,000 ft and we are at about 1,500 ft above sea level yeast becomes difficult and unhelpful. No matter how much I played with the makings the end result was poor. Though on one occasion this was due to my not realising that levure and levure chimique are not interchangeable.

Finally a friend pointed me at Lidl instant bread mixes, just add water variety. They are wonderful though my first attempt was near the size of a Branson balloon.

My secret for success (which may or may not work for you) is to use 200g of Lidl mix plus 300g of ordinary not yeast added flour. Thus the yeast for only 200g of flour is adequate for 500g of flour up here in the clouds.

This may not seem a big victory to the rest of you but for this mere male it ranks alongside Floyd Landis's winning the Tour of Druggery.

Now all I have to do is find out how to get the finished article out of the tin without leaving large chunks attached to the paddles I can retire undefeated.

John not

I've got the paddle problem too - wondered if it would be possible to grab dough just before the baking stage, remove paddles and put dough back into pan?  You'd still get the little holes from the supports, but that's minor compared to having half the bottom ripped out of the loaf......

Chrissie (81)

Iceni, that's extraordinary! Here on the borderof Haute Vienne with Dordogne Lidl bread mixes make a loaf with the consistency of a brick! On the advice of a friend I now add half bread mix to half ordinary bread flour, and add the normal amount of yeast for a loaf. So I'm  treating the bread mix as if it was just flour to get a reasonable loaf. And it allows me to use the Lidl sunflower seed bread mix, which has a lovely flavour.

Proves that experimenting works!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

We had fun discussing this one:  here are lots of tips from the people who know about these things...

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1466450/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

And how did you get on, Sweets, making bread my way using the really high tech solution: to whit, a 50 centime washing up bowl from Aldi or Lidl?

I've recently backed a stonking batch of mixed grain rolls and baps: organic white, organic wholemeal and organic rye (All from Bacheldre Mill).

[:)]

Gluey, I've copied down all your instructions but as yet I haven't been able to get any fresh yeast to make the "starter"![:(]

My mouth waters just thinking about your bread.....they just look so good!!!

But, I HAVE got the washing up bowl; brand new and waiting to be used!

In our intermarche it's in white waxed paper with either green or blue writing on it - can't remember which, and for some reason it migrated from the end of the cake chiller to the offal end of the meat chiller next to the goose fat ! So be warned: it could be anywhere.

I've often thought that supermarkets should be stocked alphabetically so that washing powder is next to walnuts, and socks next to sugar, but that's my logical mind for you.

p

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Gluey, I've copied down all your instructions but as yet I haven't been able to get any fresh yeast to make the "starter"![:(]

My mouth waters just thinking about your bread.....they just look so good!!!

But, I HAVE got the washing up bowl; brand new and waiting to be used!

[/quote]

Apols. Sweets: missed this one.

Made some wondrous mixed grain again on Friday.

If you have difficulty accessing baker's yeast, then start making Sourdough!

You can grow your own yeast using just flour and water. The natural Flor is airborne and every area has its own unique wild yeast which compliment the yeasts in the flour.

Same recipe and method as before; except you make the starter late afternoon and leave it overnight to propogate. (And then it is called "The Sponge": but it's a starter, Biga, Poolish, whatever!).

Making a SourDough Culture:

General:

Often forgotten is that bakers of yore could not pop to the shops when they wanted some yeast! So they used scrapings from the residue of beer barrels: lees from wine kegs; grew sourdough yeasts: and in Greece and parts of Italy, scraped natural wild yeast from tree branches!

Most genuine artisan bakers now make only sourdough: it is far more natural and has much more taste.