Do you drink wine every day?

Frecossais

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Benjamin"]I believe the saying "A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine" is attributed to Anthelme Brillat-Savarin. I have no idea what colour one should drink with cornflakes.  [Www]

[/quote]

A Pink Sauternes will do admirably.[:P]

[/quote]

"Sur lit" bien sûr (if it's breakfast in bed).

I've seen the result of too much drinking in that eventually my neighbour tried to kill his family last year by pouring petrol over them and striking a match but at last moment he texted a relative to say what he was going to do and that his suicide would follow.He got three years in prison but talking to his brother and his wife afterwards, he had been drinking daily since he was 18 which was 26years ago. Not working either drove him to drink even more of anything he could lay his hands on. Its also the scourge of the farming fraternity here, so many suicides over the years and all of them heavy drinkers.

I'm coming a little late to this, so I apologise.

The best drink to have with fish and chips is - sadly - no longer available. I refer to the Shipstone's bitter of my native Nottingham. A victim of Margaret Thatcher's ill-considered assault on the English pub.

As for wine? I only drink wine in company. In its various forms it's nice enough, but I can live without it. Under no circumstances would I drink wine on my own. It is a drink for social occasions.

I've just spent the weekend in the company of my largish family, ie brothers and sisters and their families. It was a reunion type of thing that we try to do every 2 or 3 years. Many of them drink quite a bit, others regard it as an opportunity to drink a lot. It has been very hot in SE England, and during the day I quite fancied something alcoholic for my second drink of the day. I had a white wine and soda. It was refreshing, being a long drink, and not in the least sweet. I'll have to have a few more to see if I like them.

We did the English thing with wine at dinner: who wants red? who wants white? based on peoples' taste, not on what we were eating.

Thank you for all your observations, I've enjoyed reading them, and learnt a little too.

[quote user="Joe"]What has the ex PM to do with an English pub for goodness sake?[/quote]

In the interests of "competition" she made breweries dispose of their tied estate. An ill-considered assault.

Whereas brewers often had used pubs to generate turnover, the property companies who acquired the estate wanted profit. Many breweries, without their tied outlets, themselves became unprofitable and merged or sold their brands to rivals and then closed.

Pubs became restaurants because food generated greater returns than drink. In the current economic climate, pubs are closing in droves and being sold off by property companies with restrictive covenants preventing their buyers from re-opening them as pubs.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

My major failing in life is that when I have discovered I can do something, I am not so interested in actually doing it.

[/quote]

Excuse my putting this delicate question to you, Wools, but does that include sex?

(sorry, I wanted to be a Blue Peter presenter when I grew up!)

[quote user="woolybanana"]No, that is the exception. I have badges and diplomas for it, but then, don't we all?[/quote]

[:-))] And who gives these out? How does the scoring system work? A+ to F, or out of 20, out of a 100.  I have obviously led a very sheltered life.

I remember Shippos well having lived in Notts for some years always referred to as *n*ts p**s. I used to go to the local chippy and get a tanner's worth of chips, battered cod, pickled onion then ask if there was any crispy bits (remember those floaty bits on the top of the oil) to put on the top and then finish it off with a VIMTO!

Chris

I used to drink a glass of white wine with my meal every evening, until one night I seriously overindulged on some cheap plonk that had an overdose of sulfite in it, being at a friend's party. It took me well over a month to fully recover. From then on wine (even my weekly glass of Scottish wine) has been enjoyed in absolute moderation on high days and holy days.

My son bought me a bottle of sparkling Vouvray for my birthday last month and that I did savour and enjoy. Thank you Son&Heir !

Now getting the liver into shape for the Christmas onslaught  [:D]   

[quote user="pachapapa"]Fish & chips ... Pays Nantais, preferably sur lie.[/quote]

Oohh yes. What happy memories of the delicious haddock or cod from our superb Fish & Chip shop in the next village along from ours in Lincolnshire. You needed the white wine to counter against the batter.

Sadly I don't think my digestive system could cope with such gastronomic delights any more.

Sigh. [:(]

Sue

Speaking as the husband of someone whose life has been very much affected articles like this seem to make the case against rather than for despite much confusion amongst medical experts. As a result less taken here...............JR

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/articles/red-wine%3A-should-breast-cancer-patients-and-those-at-high-risk-drink-it%3F

I am so afraid that my digestive system will take it into its head to rebel against red wine that I am fairly careful in my intake. This was in the wake of an episode like the one l'Aiffricaine described. Don't think it was bad wine, just too much on an empty stomach.

Only meal you can't drink wine with in my opinion, is a curry. Kills the wine stone dead. Beer then.