madeleine recipe

mint

[quote user="5-element"]As someone asked earlier: is it OK to make madeleines without madeleine moulds ? [/quote]

I'm sure the dough would bake quite nicely in a muffin tray, but remember to adjust the baking time for the larger size of individual "cakes".

And you'd better start thinking of a name, because you can't call them madeleines or muffins! [:-))]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me, Angela, I noticed a lack of any raising agent in your recipe.  Is that correct as it says plain flour but no mention of baking powder? Anyway, I made 16 yesterday and felt, in view of Clair's consumption, eating about 6 seemed OK [:P] They did rise but they didn't have that little mound in the middle like the bought ones? 

End quote

I know what you mean Sweet. I did look twice, and thought that because you have to beat the egg, and the mixture is quite sloppy, that it must be ok. The book it comes from is in the Vendee house, and I am not, so I cannot go back to source at the moment. I had copied it out on a scrap of paper to keep in London for those madeleine moments. They usually rise in the middle for me, in that madeleinish way. Maybe it would have been more successful to use SR flour, but I don't think Mapie was into that.

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]The book it comes from is in the Vendee house, and I am not, so I cannot go back to source at the moment.[/quote]

Mapie just happens to be at hand, and I can confirm that your recipe, Loiseau, is exactly correct (with a 1/3 reduction from my version).

She was, of course, innocent of self-raising flour.

Thank you, Loiseau.  Mind you, BECAUSE it was you giving me the recipe, I had complete faith in it.  I checked it twice and decided to do exactly as you'd given it.

And now Gengulphus has confirmed it and I know that HE is most meticulous!

I guess it's yet another of those infuriating things with this oven; too big and I can never be sure that the temperature is as stated or the same throughout its cavernous interior [:@]

So....what do you think of the Pernod?  I felt it was quite a judicious addition?

Whew, glad to have it confirmed by the authority that is Gengulphus! I did indeed reduce the quantity for the version I gave you, Sweets, cos I find it a terrible nuisance to have too much mixture and only one tray of 12 moulds, and you have to keep frantically scrubbing the trays out and re-greasing them between batches!

Thinking of the fearsome Mapie does take me back to the early 60s when I was working in Paris as a secretary on the English edition of Réalités magazine. I would answer the phone and this deep voice would ask for the editor, and I would say "Bonjour Monsieur, C'est de la part de qui?". And yikes! The person would growl "La Comtesse de Toulouse-Lautrec"! I never did fnd a way of covering my embarrassment over that error... She did a monthly column for the mag on "cooking i n the homes of France", with recipes from her cronies.

Angela

PS. The Pernod sounds a very inventive idea! Glad it was a success. I bet it would be good with something like Cointreau, or maybe that would be just toooo sweet. Personally I love the rum fragrance, though I know not everyone does.

PPS. I just reread your earlier post, saying that they rose but not with the little madeleinish lump. Actually I think that is exactly what they do for me. Taste ok though, n'est-ce pas?!

[quote user="Loiseau"]Whew, glad to have it confirmed by the authority that is Gengulphus! I did indeed reduce the quantity for the version I gave you, Sweets, cos I find it a terrible nuisance to have too much mixture and only one tray of 12 moulds, and you have to keep frantically scrubbing the trays out and re-greasing them between batches! Thinking of the fearsome Mapie does take me back to the early 60s when I was working in Paris as a secretary on the English edition of Réalités magazine. I would answer the phone and this deep voice would ask for the editor, and I would say "Bonjour Monsieur, C'est de la part de qui?". And yikes! The person would growl "La Comtesse de Toulouse-Lautrec"! I never did fnd a way of covering my embarrassment over that error... She did a monthly column for the mag on "cooking i n the homes of France", with recipes from her cronies. Angela PS. The Pernod sounds a very inventive idea! Glad it was a success. I bet it would be good with something like Cointreau, or maybe that would be just toooo sweet. Personally I love the rum fragrance, though I know not everyone does. PPS. I just reread your earlier post, saying that they rose but not with the little madeleinish lump. Actually I think that is exactly what they do for me. Taste ok though, n'est-ce pas?![/quote]

Silicone moulds so no greasing or flouring!

Meant to go out yesterday to buy more moulds and some dark rum but Roland Garros got in the way and, after watching Sharapova and Serena Williams in the ladies' final, I felt far too exhausted to go out!

However, need to go out tomorrow to pick up some fence posts so will get the rum then and have another go.  I might cheat and add a bit of baking powder as the madeleines really need to have that little lump in the middle to look authentic, don't you think?

Silicone moulds, no greasing or flouring???????[8-)]

I have proper Tefal make silicone moulds and they stick. They have always stuck. I have tried everything, not doing anything, just greasing, greasing and flouring and they stick. The only way they do not stick is if I line them with greaseproof paper, which is not why I bought this 'wonder product'..... I'd never ever buy anything but good heavy metal baking tins in the future.

My friend bought a silicone petit fours mould too, at great expense may I add, and it was a couple of years before she admitted that they stuck too.

How very strange, id.

I have 2 lots of cupcake moulds and now 2 lots of madeleine moulds as I went out today to buy another 2 trays of 6 moulds each.

The cupcake moulds have been brilliant as have the madeleine moulds.  I just tip the cakes out.

Anyway, will be trying more madeleines later this week.

Couldn't get any dark rum in Aldi this after noon so will stick with the Pernod for the moment.  Miam, miam....

[quote user="5-element"]Ok, neither madeleines nor muffins. Maybe Mad Finns, but that might offend Finnish friends.
[/quote]

How about Muffelines ?

My silicone cake moulds never stick and they were the cheapset things available at my local Hyper market.  €5 for a set of 3 different shapes

As the recipe I showed earlier said, you can make them in other things. Madeleine sans moules a madeleines  is quite possible.

So the cheap ones work, well, I've enough baking tins at the moment and don't fancy paying out to experiment. I have to say that the Tefal ones are, in comparison to the cheap ones, rather sturdy, is that the problem, the silicone is too thick.

I've got quite a few silicone baking moulds and on the whole, they work well except that some things need sliding onto a metal tray as they come out of the oven as the silicone is too floppy (and some things do better in metal trays). I bought a quite expensive silicone Tefal mini loaf tin (made 6 mini loaves)which was reinforced with metal. After only a few uses the silicone tore - I think the metal reinforcing was maybe too heavy for the silicone. Since then I've stuck with standard cheap silicone moulds.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, just going to try out Clair's recipe....

My neighbours from our other house is coming to visit for the first time tomorrow morning and I want to make these little cakes and see how the kids like them.

However, no vanilla so might try the lemon zest or maybe see if there is any lavande in the  garden.

Anyway, I took ages looking for this thread; had to go through "my forums" but I am now here and I will let you know how the madeleines are in about a couple of hours![:D]

Blast and damn, NOT great!

The pre-cooked mixture was delicious and, maybe, I should just have eaten that![:P]

No great rise, no madeleine "mound", taste OK but not quite cooked through and yet all the tops all burnt![:'(]

MUST be the wretched oven.....

If I have any energy left, might make muffins or cupcakes or something.  But, crevée on account of having Brits for apéros last night...lasted some 5 hours!!!

Wish there was an apéro etiquette that could be posted in prominent places just specifically for Brits!

PS, the lavande was a brilliant idea, crunchy and "interesting"!

Now that should really be a new post sweet17, aperos etiquette.

An apero, is, after all, a pre dinner drink and they should be leaving to have said meal, or eat it with you[Www].

So if mine looked like they were in for the night, OR, I thought they might be, then I'd rustle up a dinner for us. I really prefer to be eating a meal and drinking to just people drinking and eating nibbles.

And the other way is, put out a good amount of nibbles and then when they are gone, say that it's been lovely evening and great seeing them and that you have plans.

Otherwise it is just a drink and not an apero.[:-))]

[quote user="idun"]Now that should really be a new post sweet17, aperos etiquette.

An apero, is, after all, a pre dinner drink…[/quote]

Oh yes.  What a good idea.

What does one do with the ones who simply don't go ?  Often Brits;  and blond northerners even worse.  The Long Stay Patients.

I took the precaution many years ago of checking with a French lady, conversant with the rules both Parisian and provincial, who assured me that they were much the same as in England and New York.

That one hour is really essential unless one is to appear ungracious, but that after one hour and a half of crémant, gossip and gougères one's hostess ought to be granted the cheering sight of her guests moving off in the direction of their own homes, whilst she herself directs her thoughts towards Dinner.

Here in the provinces (keeping unfashionably early hours, thank God) the Angelus bell at ten to seven indicates the customary kick-off.  And by a quarter past eight we expect to see them pushing off, screaming and titubating, down the road.

My neighbour always lays the table for dinner.  Owing to the arrangement of his house, his apéro guests cannot but help notice this detail.  This is very helpful in confirming in their minds the possibility that (however unformed their own plans might be) their host was intending to have dinner.