madeleine recipe

mint

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here goes! Have made this recipe many times over the years - as you can see, cos the amounts are all in imperial! From a Mapie de Touluse-Lautrec cookbook of the 1960s.

MADELEINES (makes 12)

2 eggs

3oz sugar

3oz sifted plain flour

3oz unsalted butter, melted

3 teaspoons dark rum

Heat oven to 180 degC.

Beat eggs and sugar together till frothy.

Stir in flour. Then stir in melted butter, then the rum.

Mix well.

Butter the shell-shaped madeleine tins and fill with the mixture.

Bake about 15-20 mins. Remove from oven and let them cool to lukewarm before taking them out of tins and placing them on a cake rack to finish cooling.

Angela

[quote user="woolybanana"]You mean naughty cakes, as in Mary Magdelaine?[/quote]

Better speak nicely to Angela then, hadn't you?

Angela, that sounds delish........hmm, I'd never eat madeleines again made sans rum![:D]

If you ever manage to give Angela the slip, I'd feed you as many of those madeleines as you can gorge yourself on![:D][;-)]

Alas, can't make them today as I need to buy unsalted butter, not to forget the all-important dark rum.........[:(]

I made some last week to test my newly-acquired madeleines trays (reduced by 70%, couldn't resist!) and this recipe (in French, but easy to follow) was surprisingly easy and successful.

translation, just in case...

PS: I skipped the milk but added ½ its volume in orange flower water instead.

PPS: previous attempts have required resting for hours in the fridge, brown butter, blahblahblah... this recipe didn't and it really was a doddle... though I will use brown butter next time !

Clair, how many cakes with your mixture?

I bought  2 moulds (silicone) of  6 cakes each.  Maybe I should rush down to the shop tomorrow and get 2 more.  They were 50% off and, like you, I couldn't resist!

Like Pommier, I, too, would like to know what brown butter is [8-)]

In answer to your question about justifying buying one, Pommier, I'd say just think of the hours of pleasure that you will give, producing madeleines for your family and friends to eat[:D]

[quote user="Pommier"]Oooh - I'm tempted by both recipes, but I haven't got a madeleine tin - can I justify one? Please excuse my ignorance, but what's brown butter (or it that just a bit burnt?) [/quote]

Brown butter is butter melted over a gentle heat so that the water evaporates and milk solids drop to the bottom of the pan and sizzle gently until they turn brown and infuse the melted butter as they cook.

The milk solids are discarded or filtered out.

It's a similar process to making ghee, but allowing the milk solids to cook.

Called beurre noisette in French.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Clair, how many cakes with your mixture?[/quote]

I made 36 madeleines (not mini ones)  and I ate them all! [:-))] (not on the same day...)

My new trays are metal, and I had to use a silicone one for the last dozen. Big difference in the finish product. Metal gave better results.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"]Clair, how many cakes with your mixture?[/quote]

I made 36 madeleines and I ate them all!

[/quote]

Oh, Clair, you are sooooo................IMPRESSIVE!

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"]Clair, how many cakes with your mixture?[/quote]I made 36 madeleines and I ate them all![/quote]Oh, Clair, you are sooooo................IMPRESSIVE![/quote]

It doesn't come naturally and I have to work at it, but yes, I am!! [;-)] [kiss]

Claire is orange flower water popular in your region of France. I had a good friend from Valence who would bring me 'delices' from her neck of the woods and everything sweet had orange flower water in it, well that she brought for me to try.

I have never had any madeleines with it in.

[quote user="woolybanana"]See what I mean, she even counted the miles.[/quote]

I ain't gonna be in the midst of a domestic, so I'm off to make out my shopping list for all the requisites for my madeleines.

[quote user="idun"]Claire is orange flower water popular in your region of France. I had a good friend from Valence who would bring me 'delices' from her neck of the woods and everything sweet had orange flower water in it, well that she brought for me to try.

I have never had any madeleines with it in. [/quote]

I thought it would go well with the lemon zest... I don't have any Rhum and didn't fancy Calvados!

As someone asked earlier: is it OK to make madeleines without madeleine moulds ? I gave my metal madeleine moulds away when it was clear, after several years, that I would never make madeleines. [:(]

Now you've made my mouth water with all this talk...

And I am so pleased that Clair posted a recipe (now bookmarked) that doesn't require rum, which I really dislike. Lemon zest or orange flower water, yes!!

Some people find that the French overuse orange flower water, put too much and into everything. I think it's very easy to overdo it.

Some comments and acknowledgements

Firstly, thank you, loiseau, I tried your recipe first because the quantities were small and I thought that if had to mess up, I'd rather mess up a small amount!

Tell me, Angela, I noticed a lack of any raising agent in your recipe.  Is that correct as it says plain flour but no mention of baking powder?

Anyway, I made 16 yesterday and felt, in view of Clair's consumption, eating about 6 seemed OK [:P]

They did rise but they didn't have that little mound in the middle like the bought ones? 

Also, I didn't have rum but did have some Pernod that someone gave me years ago.  The cakes had the faintest whiff and were most unusual!  I did think that I should have added a teaspoon of baking powder but I await Angela's instructions.

I'm going to try Clair's recipe next and hope the shop still had some half price moulds left.

Also, if I manage to find Michel Roux's recipe (saw him make those on a programme called Great British Something or Other), I will post it on here.