Moving essentials

Finaly the move to France is upon me and I complete the purchase next week. I`ve allready got my supply of paint from B&Q this weekend after seeing the astronomical prices in Leroy Merlin on my last visit and I would like to know if anyone can sugest any other things that are worth picking up over here.

The bulk of my stuff will be delivered later on in the month as part of a "part load" with the removal company I`m using and so the plan is to take only the bare essentials in my estate car and give the new place a coat of paint etc without furniture getting in the way.

Any advice would be greatfully accepted.

Dexter

Terracotta pots for the garden if you like them.

In France, the ones that laminate with frost in the winter are cheap enough but, if you want good, heavy duty pots, the UK is the place to get them.  More styles and very heavy to carry in the car, so bung them on the van.

Good Luck, Dexter!

Hi Dexter,

Anything you think you're going to miss food wise !!

We've gradually weaned ourselves off our favourites in the UK. We have found things over here that we like just as much.

BUT for me it's "Marmite" and "Tea Bags" !!!

Kind Regards Mel.

Probably not the same thing but they give away paper giggy tubes with filters built in when you buy baccy around here - I can't say if this is the same 'coz I don't smoke.

Anyway, things to bring, a 4-way extension socket from Poundland, cut the UK plug off and replace with a French one and you have an adaptor for all those things with a UK plug molded in eg phone chargers.

If you're going to attack the garden then seeds and tomato feed are much cheaper in UK than I've ever seen over here

Oh yeah, and bring the entire contents of the Screwfix catalogue [:P]

I brought 1/2 a tonne of joists with me only to find the local builders yard did them cheaper, dohh.

Make sure you bring a few tea bags to try in your local area.  We brought about 3000 T bags with us because I hate coffee and French T bags are poo.  Since being here I have had 2 cups of tea, the water ruins a good cuppa, it's so hard.  The fresh coffee on the ther hand is great and I love it.

All DIY stuff you might need.  Brass hooks for the back of doors.  A year's supply of toiletries.  Silver Dip if you have any silver.  Wood preservative if you have wooden fences etc......  Up to date spectacles.  Specific refills for any gadgets etc you have.

I've run out for the moment!

Chrissie (81)